• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trails West VS Charmac

S
Mar 13, 2010
I'm Looking to buy a new trailer and i am curious which one to buy the Charmac tri sport or the trails west cb edition

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
After taking a very good look at trails west I wouldn't buy any other trailer out there. The way they are made is second to none quality is amazing. I was close to pulling the trigger on one but decided to save my money and just use my sled deck. Down the road when I need an enclosed it'll be a trails west

crusher

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2008
Mapleton, UT
Charmac

I bought a charmac tri-sport elite from wasatch trailers january 2012 and couldn't be happier. I really really like the trailer....but have been more impressed with wasatch trailers and there ability to turn the trailer into exactly what I was looking for. They have taken care of all my concerns without question.

I owned a mirage before this and the charmac is by far a superior trailer (I am sure that comes as no surprise). I have not been around the trails west but I have never heard a bad word. Good luck! Once you go enclosed you will wonder why you waited so long.

With as much as you snowmobile I am surprised you don't already have one.

My $0.02

rideon

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2008
Bountiful, Ut
I just bought an elite tri-sport from wasatch trailers as well. Strongly considered the trails west as well. Went with the charmac for 2 main reasons. First, all ALUMINUM TRAILER! Trails west seems to have a great paint process, but it is still a steel trailer. Steel and snowmobiling just don't get along. Second, I feel the drop deck/car hauler style trailer is more stable and you can run larger wheels/tires. A bit more flexibility and perhaps stronger resale as a result. The wheel wells can be a bit annoying at times, but they do not lessen the number of machines that can be hauled into any given trailer length. Love trailer so far. Can't wait to put a bunch of miles on her!

L
May 15, 2009
Looked at Trails West trailers. They are nice trailers but one thing that I didn't really care for was their floor. Didn't like the trailer floor not being level the full length of the trailer. Guess I just would prefer the floor being level thru out the trailer.

crusher

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2008
Mapleton, UT
Here is what I have for photos. I have diamond plated around the propane tank and have put a 10gallon tank in its place since the photo was taken. It is a stock 30k btu heater. It is vented through the trailer. Had the floor treated then this aftermarket put on. Has a fold out bench (my wife had me add it). Have some 110power outlets w/ some 12volt outlets. A trickle charger with plug in outside trAiler so I can keep battery up when it's been sitting. Upgraded all my lights to LED inside and out. Some oil and tool holders. Built a wall mount 250piece tool box holder. Helmet cabinet. Clothing hanger w/broom holder and squeegee holder. Some flash lights mounted in different areas and a tie down holder to keep stuff off the floor. 5200lb axles pulls like a dream. Wasatch is designing a boot/glove dryer to work in conjunction with my heater.

IMAG0416.jpg IMAG0411.jpg IMAG0430.jpg IMAG0431.jpg IMAG0437.jpg

captain x

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
lewiston, idaho
DOUBLE R

For What Its Worth:

I would check out DOUBLE R TRAILER in Nampa Id. 1-888-661-7544

I found them on KSL.....I sold my 2002 4-place Charmac. I was going to order a new trailer with the options I wanted.

I sold my 2002 2 weeks ago therefore I did not order a new one. I talked to Charmac and Charmac dealers throughout the NorthWest. A new trailer was 6 weeks out. Same with DOUBLE R

I picked up a nice and good deal on a new 2010 to use for this season.

BUT!!!!....after my one conversation with DOUBLE R and pricing out the tri-sport that I want, I will look no further.

When you contact them you will be dealing with the owners (husband & wife)......they set the standard to "customer is #1" and "superior quality & customer satisfaction priority"........you will get a custom trailer built for you and the price is no more or even less than a trailer "package" where you are limited to options

I honestly have NO IDEA why "we" (SnoWest members and snowmobile enthusiast) have not heard more about them.

I have nothing against Charmac or any other dealer. As a matter of fact "they" do not either.

If you are shopping for a trailer....any kind of trailer.....give them a call.....I am sure you will not be disappointed.

That is my .02 :)

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I swore I would never buy another steel trailer again...... Then I bought a new Trails West. I love the trailer. We had there horse trailers for years and they withstand years and years of abuse. Figured I couldn't go wrong. I guess we will see in 10 years how it holds up.
I looked at Charmacs as well and most others as there are some really good trailers out there. I don't think you could go wrong with either of the two you are looking at.
And I love the floor. The trailer melts off and dries out far faster than my last one because the water runs out instead of pools on the floor.
My two cents.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
For What Its Worth:

I found them on KSL.....I sold my 2002 4-place Charmac. I was going to order a new trailer with the options I wanted.

I sold my 2002 2 weeks ago therefore I did not order a new one. I talked to Charmac and Charmac dealers throughout the NorthWest. A new trailer was 6 weeks out. Same with DOUBLE R

BUT!!!!....after my one conversation with DOUBLE R and pricing out the tri-sport that I want, I will look no further.

When you contact them you will be dealing with the owners (husband & wife)......they set the standard to "customer is #1" and "superior quality & customer satisfaction priority"........you will get a custom trailer built for you and the price is no more or even less than a trailer "package" where you are limited to options

I honestly have NO IDEA why "we" (SnoWest members and snowmobile enthusiast) have not heard more about them.

I have nothing against Charmac or any other dealer. As a matter of fact "they" do not either.

If you are shopping for a trailer....any kind of trailer.....give them a call.....I am sure you will not be disappointed.

I have heard enough about them, I'll pass.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
For What Its Worth:

Under no circumstances would I EVER buy a trailer from Double R.

They flat out screwed me on the trailer I bought from them last year.

It cost me about $3,000 after I brought the trailer home to fix all their f*ckups on a trailer I paid them up front for to the tune of about $31,000.

See this thread:

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2960592&postcount=31

Bottom line, if they couldn't be bothered to build all this stuff into the trailer they told me they could and do it correctly so it all works, they should have just told me they couldn't do it. I was very patient with them agreeable to deal with, I gave them the benefit of the doubt even though I paid them over 2 months in advance for the entire trailer, and even afterwards tried to work with them to get this stuff fixed and all the owner did was pass the buck on to whatever supplier he used, etc. I was incredibly dissappointed with the amount of support I received. I drove to ID to pick this thing up, the second day I brought it home I was having problems with it and the guy pretty well told me to kiss off.

So with that said, I would highly advise against buying a trailer from this outfit .... Their base trailers are nice, but they are no nicer, better or cheaper than a Charmac, Triton, Mirage, etc ...

S

Shortcut

Feb 27, 2010
I'll let you know in about a week. I'm getting rid of an 31ft Aluma that has been a great trailer for 6+ years and stepping up to a CB edition 34ft TrailsWest. Pretty jacked as the ones I've seen up close look well built. I will say the aluma is a quality trailer, they just don't make a GN

D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
I just picked up our trails west 28' GN trailer last Friday. Pulled it back from salt lake and I’m super impressed with how it pulled. Night and day difference between the GN and the bumper pull. The finish and attention to detail is outstanding in my opinion. I was skeptical about how well the track melt system would work, and dang that thing rocks. A 30 min. drive back to the house and the sleds were completely melted off. The angle change in the deck makes the water run out and not pool up in the trailer and cause condensation issues. So far I am very very pleased with my decision to go with the trails west.

S

Shortcut

Feb 27, 2010
I picked up a new TW 34ft gn last wednesday from Riverside Boot & Saddle in Blackfoot, ID. Kenny is great to deal with and the trailer is awesome. I will never own a bumper pull again, its night and day. I had a 31 ft 7 wide Aluma, which is a great trailer, and this gn is waaay better. The fit & finish is really good and it has a lot of little touches that are important to sledders. The heater works as advertised & at 6'4" i can stand up through the whole trailer, so the rise in the floor is well worth not having wheel wells to deal with. I'll post pictures soon.

Last edited:
Premium Features