• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Indy Specialty Crank, Any Good??

P
I have a 2003 Pro - X 800 with 6000 miles that seems to vibrate a great deal and has been eating belts for breakfast. Im looking at freshening up the engine i have heard alot of good things about Indy Specialty on Snowest and have thought about going there to get the bottom end done. But i did find a forum on hardcore sledder that described an indy dan crank that broke in only 50 miles of use (see link below). Now im not to sure what to do can you give me any advice. Warrenty is good but i dont want to spend my sledding season in dans garage.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=378813

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I have a 2003 Pro - X 800 with 6000 miles that seems to vibrate a great deal and has been eating belts for breakfast. Im looking at freshening up the engine i have heard alot of good things about Indy Specialty on Snowest and have thought about going there to get the bottom end done. But i did find a forum on hardcore sledder that described an indy dan crank that broke in only 50 miles of use (see link below). Now im not to sure what to do can you give me any advice. Warrenty is good but i dont want to spend my sledding season in dans garage.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=378813

Indy Dans stuff is as good as it gets! His warrenty is there because it is that good. Now with that said, stuff happens. It does not suprise me that SOMEONE had ONE break. And if you happen to be that one in ???? Dan will take care of it. I would not hesitate to use his cranks. Actually I do have one of his cranks in one of my sleds.

On your prox though, when is the last time you change your left front motor mount? The prox's love to eat that mount and your will get vibration and eat belts quickly when they are cracked/broken. Make sure to check that out before you spring for a rebuild!

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
I had the exact same issue as the HCS forum user. Mine happened on Xmas day. I'll save my comment's till this ordeal is over. There's enough positive feedback on this 4M I'm not worried about him doing the right thing. I'm just tired of turning wrenches and want to ride. His time and products aren't cheap, I'm hoping he realizes my time isn't cheap either. I'll be the first one to stand up for the guy when my motor is up and running and I'm happy. $hit happens.

Copied from HCS forum:

Well, just got the e-mail from Dan and the engine is all set to go, he turned it around in less than a day.
Here is what he said went wrong with it.
The PTO-end main bearing shaft was not ground correctly and it was to big
and the bearing locked for a nanno-second and the crank stopped and the weight
of the drive clutch sheared the end off.

I have have caught a bunch like this and finish ground them. I was checking
every ten webs, now I am checking every PTO-end.

They have all been within tollerance but some were getting to the high side.

I have now tighten the tollerances even closer.

Dan was a stand up guy in this situation, he replaced my clutch and even offered to pay shipping out to him.
If anyone has though about using him I would not hesitate.

Last edited:

VHOK

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2002
Helena, Montana
Indy Specialty 800 Crank

You will not go wrong with this crank, they are tough as all get out, and most of all Dan is a stand up gentelman, stands behind his goods. I highly recommend this crank!!!!:face-icon-small-win

M

markis24

Mar 30, 2008
Northwest WA
Dan is top notch, I am running one of his bottom ends and I am impressed with his work. I have talked to Dan several times over the phone and he is a stand up guy. I am an ASE certified mechanic and when I received my bottom end last year, I examined it and checked the run out. All I could say was WOW Dan did a good job!

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
I don't think you will be spending anytime in dans garage. I have heard nothing but good about his cranks and obviously he is a very well vouched for guy.:beer;:beer;

Last edited:
S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I had Dan re-do my bottom end on my 800 VES a few years back, this was before he offered his own crank and warranty so mine has a Polaris crank, but he straightened it, line bored the cases, etc.(the whole nine yards). I couldn't be happier, runs greats, doesn't vibrate as bad as stock, which tells me that the motor is happier.

63nova

Jun 4, 2008
The flatlands
Let's be fair here

So let me see....not one, but TWO hand built Indy Dan cranks fail inside a week and everything is just fine as long as he handles the warranty like a gentleman? Gimme a break! When someone posts on Snowest about a Polaris OEM crank problem, everyone starts swearing and bashing and ****ting all over the useless Polaris Engineers. Even if the guy's dealer gets him back on the snow inside a week for free, Polaris is still scum. Dan is always slamming Polaris for poor quality control, yet he admits on measuring only one in ten PTO ends.

Why not treat the OEM and the aftermarket guy equally?

By the way, has anyone ever seen an EOM Polaris 800 crank break at only 50 miles? Come on, be honest now.

I thought so.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If you havent heard of a OEM crank breaking in 50 miles, you have been under a rock.

Give Dan a break, a single man operation, I wouldnt expect him to inspect every single end. They are billet, I would expect them to show up in my shop perfect.

I dont know what it is, sure seems people have it out for Dan. Maybe because he craps out more info on one toilet sitting than most of us know. Maybe its because he voices his opinion.

Doesnt matter this is the first two cranks that have broke, that I have heard of. He stands behind his work, that is what matters. If you can find a better Polars guy, I would like to meet him.

P
Well it seems indy dan does have a great deal of loyal followers, but 2 cranks breaking in < 50 miles is a joke!! Im sorry to offend any of you still stunned believers but i haven't broken my crank yet and needless to say i have a few more than 50 miles on my sled. Just as a curious potential customer i would actually be very interested in knowing what background dan really does have that qualifies him to make such "amazing" products. And although he may be a "stand up" guy, doesnt really sound like he make "stand up" cranks.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Check your front left mount like said above, if that is broken then you will eat belts and vibrate more than it should. And do your homework about some of the guys that provide a service of free info on this forum before you go and bash them. IndyDan's cranks are in high demand lately, and he knows his stuff. And like posted above, he has tightened the tolerance levels to make sure they are all 100% correct.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
If you're concerned about an aftermarket crank guys crank, why not simply get a proper line bore and drop in a new factory crank. For approximately $1,200 you can have a new solid bottom end that will be good for another 3,500 miles. I do this every time my runout exceeds .0045". I've had 100% success and I know I have a factory tight interference fit on all press together components.

P
Thanks for the advice on the motor mount I will definatly have to check that on the sled before i proceed with re-doing my bottom end. I will also have to pass on that crank from indy dan. I cant honestly say it would be anyones best decision to buy a $1300 crank that might not even make it out your driveway, stand up guy or not his crank do not live up to their name what so ever. And one more thing, Dan if your reading this, maybe you should quit bashing the polaris engineerings if you cant even make a product that holds up for 50 miles. Talk about the pot calling the kettal black.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
You know this thread smelled a little fishy from the start. Did you come on here to ask a legitimate question or take jabs at Dan? Looks like you came on and turned a question into talkin crap....

if you honestly are asking the question(which I dont believe for one second you are), and are choosing not to get a crank from Dan.... then that is probally the worst decision you have ever made PERIOD. He does the best Polaris work out there ... PERIOD.

And one more thing, Dan if your reading this, maybe you should quit bashing the polaris engineerings if you cant even make a product that holds up for 50 miles. Talk about the pot calling the kettal black.

Maybe possibly you are one of those Polaris Engineers??? Pissed that Dan redid something a whole heck of a lot better than you... and a small hick up and your all over him... either way THIS THREAD IS AS WORTHLESS AS A POOPY FLAVORED LOLLY POP.

People like yourself and comments like that are what have caused good people to leave this forum..... People that most of us truly miss. Thanks for helping out with that...

S
I will also have to pass on that crank from indy dan. I cant honestly say it would be anyones best decision to buy a $1300 crank that might not even make it out your driveway, stand up guy or not his crank do not live up to their name what so ever. And one more thing, Dan if your reading this, maybe you should quit bashing the polaris engineerings if you cant even make a product that holds up for 50 miles. Talk about the pot calling the kettal black.

so 2 of dans cranks fail and you think that is bad? we are talking about 2 cranks here....2 cranks out of how many? even if dan only built 100 cranks he still has a better failure rate than polaris does! and he has a no questions asked warranty, while polaris has a warranty that they will try to weasle thier way out of. I think that pro x kid and 63Nova are the same troll trying stir up drama and trying to give dan a bad name.

polaris bob

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2002
Michigan
FWIW, I have know Dan since 2000 and have used many of his services over the years.

Is he perfect, or does he sometimes make mistakes???

Last time I checked, he is just a man and is allowed to have a mistake every once in awhile. If your human and not some super power or a god, your allowed to make a mistake every once in a while.

What is more telling about any man is how they handle the mistakes that come up during the course of their life. I have never know Dan to NOT stand behind his products or his craftsmanship 100%.

The good people here on this site that know Dan, know that he is a good man and a man of his word. He sells a quality product and stands behind what he sells with a warranty that no one else in the business comes even close to matching. Is he the cheapest??? Nope, I'm sure that he's not. Does his stuff work?? Yup, it sure does, and if it does have an issues for some reason, Dan will do everything in his power to make it right!!! As for those two reported bad cranks, of only one right now I believe is a true report, it has already been posted that Dan took care of the customer very quickly and also paid for the shipping from and back to the customer and turned the motor around in a day, try to get that kind of service elsewhere and let us know how it works out for ya!!!!!

Me, I will still continue to go to Dan when I need those kinds of services, he has always done right by me!!!

Polaris Bob

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
This thread is pathetic, we have 2 people on here that have probably never witnessed Indydans work first hand nor even seen or know anyone who has. You start a thread asking for advise on a crank and people give that advise to you from their own personal experiance. Nobody on this forum would steer you wrong but for you to completely turn it around and start bashing someone elses product without ever even using it, you need to go crawl back in your holes if you don't have anything constructive to add.:mad:

Premium Features