• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Gen 4 area is so boring.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The steering is still heavy on the 36" patriots which is what I believe contributes to its definition of "hard to ride all day" We have a tendency to turn the skis in many situations throughout a day. They lay over a little easier than their older brother which is expected on the skinnier ski stance. In this case I think they are closer to being "easy all day" but not to the level of the Doo G4 and the Alpha. The Alpha and patriot hold sidehills slightly better than the G4 but 90% of riders/situations will not notice it or it will not be noticeable. After some experience this winter. I think the Alpha has the winning combination for deep snow days. It has loads of traction, it can climb, easy to initiate, it can hold its edge, motor is strong and hangs with em. It might be the perfect balance but whatever "all day" style you want is achievable with the help of the aftermarket.

This forum has been boring. There are seemingly less reported belt issues on here. Can't speak towards numbers BRP is seeing but I imagine it has got better on their end too. Nice work by them.

The 2019 DOES seem to be dialed in rather nicely at last!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
The 2019 DOES seem to be dialed in rather nicely at last!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Honestly, my 18 didn't have an issue this year. Updated 2019 vent kit with new guard and brackets surrounding. I feel I can still being temps down but nevertheless I agree.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Honestly, my 18 didn't have an issue this year. Updated 2019 vent kit with new guard and brackets surrounding. I feel I can still being temps down but nevertheless I agree.
Agreed
There is still room for a COOLER running belt temp.
But it seems low enough that we are no longer hearing the horror stories of years past.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
...gear it down to a 19 tooth top gear. POOF! Heat gone!

Ace
I would love to install one of those Infrared Belt Temp sensors and see what the actual temps really are..

https://www.razorbackusa.com
e26a66_7420ed603dc446ce94f79cda72373b6f~mv2_d_4272_2848_s_4_2.jpg

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Honestly i i think its boring in here because no ones is talking about what the g4 dosent have..... i went with the axys and i guess i was looking not only at the weight and sidehill ability, but the sled as a whole package and the way it works... i had an xp and an xm and got so fed up with the way they had them built and working on them... i went with a polaris and not looking back.... i could get into a big long winded thing of why (i wont) but i think that is something to think about..

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
It would appear that most of us riding on the Gen 4s are pretty happy with them I suppose.

Yep , but what’s most noteworthy about that statement is a lot of these same people professed the same opinion about the XP and then the XM !!!!!! Certainly makes their opinions a bit suspect .

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Honestly i i think its boring in here because no ones is talking about what the g4 dosent have..... i went with the axys and i guess i was looking not only at the weight and sidehill ability, but the sled as a whole package and the way it works... i had an xp and an xm and got so fed up with the way they had them built and working on them... i went with a polaris and not looking back.... i could get into a big long winded thing of why (i wont) but i think that is something to think about..

That's ironic. I had an AXYS and the G4 was so awesome, I traded my AXYS for another G4. Opinions vary I guess.

N
Nov 27, 2007
Tacoma, Washington
I would think my 850 is as light but it doesn't even seem as light as a Polaris that has the stock can. Those sleds just get up on the snow so much better than the 850 too. I'm talking the 2.6. I haven't ridden the 3 Polaris as I heard it sucks. I would love to try a Doo 850 2.5 to see if it stayed up on the snow better. I've been looking for a slightly used Patriot just to buy and toy around with the rest of this season but to no avail... The Polaris definitely seems like it has no power but you don't need power when it just glides across the top of the snow unlike the Doo 3" chainsaw!

Spent the last two days riding the storm in the Sierras that dropped every bit of 7+ feet of snow. Riding group consists of 3 Gen4s.....154x3", 165x3" and 165x2.5"....the 2.5" absolutely gets on top of the snow faster and doesn't trench nearly as much. Thoroughly impressed by it...like to the point that I've been looking around to buy one (I'm on the 154x3"). I spent quite a bit of time on it and liked it much more my 154x3". Noticeably faster track speed as well. I wasn't a believer until I hopped on it...glad I did.

Premium Features