• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 RMK Reverse Question

T
Nov 23, 2013
got a 98 rmk with the reverse lever on the right handlebar. Putting it in reverse works perfectly, but when you flip the lever back it stays in reverse. But once i shut it off and start it back up its in forward. Seems odd as the reverse engages perfectly every time. Any help would be appreciated

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
That's the mechanical reverse. When you flip the lever it compresses the spring in the chaincase and moves the gear. When you flip it back to disengage reverse the spring is supposed to push the gears back into forward. I'm betting you have a tight belt that is holding pressure on the driven clutch and putting a little bind on the gears keeping them from releasing with the spring. When you shut it off, the pressure is gone and then they pop back into forward position.

That's my guess.

Might be worth pulling the chaincase cover off and making sure everything is clean and then putting in fresh lube.

sled_guy

Premium Features