• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What tools do I need?

Cascade Addiction

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
WA Cascades
tools

If you change your weights when you change your spring you don't need the tool mentioned to change your weights. And yes just remove the 6 outer bolts evenly, easiest to remove 3 completely then other 3 evenly till it pops, you can actually hold the pressure with one hand and spin them out pretty fast once you get them all almost out. You then need an allen wrench and a socket to remove the pin that holds the arm, buy a cheap socket and grind/bevel one side to fit over the nut and a t-handle allen works great to spin out the pin. With clutch installed and spring in you can pry sheave open with a flat blade screwdriver, then insert a wrench and pry the rest of the way and insert a 1/2" socket or block or whatever you desire to hold it open and replace weights while on the trail without taking off outer cover. Just be sure that you have spring compressed enough that there is enough room to remove arm. Sounds like a lot but once you do it for the first time it will all make sense and is pretty sraight forward

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
pawpaw put it right.

If it ever comes down to just changing the weights make sure while your doing that, the spring doesn't release while your fingers are in there. If that happens you will be saying every swear word known to mankind.:face-icon-small-dis

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
That link is a tool that is used instead of a screwdriver as pawpaw said. To change the spring, you have to take the outside cover off (remove the 6 bolts). You can even do it while your sled is on it's side so you don't have to remove the clutch. Removing the clutch is not extremely hard but you have to be very careful you don't strip the threads in your crank. It's a strange process to remove the clutch. The dreaded pop still scares me.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
When you put the cover back on make sure you do not overtorque the bolts. It is better to be safe than sorry, if you twist one off you may never retrieve it and may have to throw the clutch away.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Don't forget to take note of the "X" on the outer clutch cover and it's orientation with the clutch. All the main components are balanced and need to go back on exactly the way they come off. You can also take a magic marker and put a mark on the clutch cover and the tower, sheeve if you don't know where to look for the X's that are cast into the pieces. You don't need to index the weights as long as they all weigh the same. An ignition wrench will work for holding the lock nut on the weight pin bolt if you don't have the modified socket mentioned above. There are also torque specs for the clutch face bolts and the weight pin bolts. Don't over torque them, a broken one is a pain. I also add a spot of blue locktite to the weight pin bolt before installing the nut. That lock nut can loose its lock pretty fast.

Good luck. EW

G

GREICO1

Apr 12, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
And always make sure the weight pin is installed from left to right, opposite the direction of rotation of the clutch.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
A field trick is to carry a 2 foot cam buckle 1" nylon strap...tighten it around the sheave across the plate...release the fasteners and primary cover will ease off as you let out on the cam buckle. To reinstall push to start with left hand while snugging down the cam buckle with right...once it's close enough to get a start on your fasteners..work it on til snugged.

No loctite...carry a few extra nyloc nuts for the app and one or two spare pins as well. I can usually change weights many many times prior to wearing out a nyloc nut.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Why no on the loc-tite? It better not be because someone put a red rubber ball in your mouth then blue loc-tited the buckle on the black leather strap, although I would be nervous about it then too. Lol. EW

H

Hairy Mark

Nov 21, 2007
kettle falls
Why no on the loc-tite? It better not be because someone put a red rubber ball in your mouth then blue loc-tited the buckle on the black leather strap, although I would be nervous about it then too. Lol. EW

Eric, ROb has had far worse then that done to him by his friends.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I love strippers..just not in this case. Hey you two guys two should try green LT...you'll love it

OK....now you two can get back to your Pulp Fiction fixation. (which is disturbing...more so now that Mark has chimed in!)

B
Dec 18, 2007
Afton, MN
An ignition wrench will work for holding the lock nut on the weight pin bolt if you don't have the modified socket mentioned above. There are also torque specs for the clutch face bolts and the weight pin bolts.
EW

What does an ignition wrench look like and does anyone know torque specs on face bolts---someone told me it was 10.

Premium Features