• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cr500 estart?

W
Aug 23, 2013
I'm currently installing one on my 92'! Should be finished up by the weekend. I'm running a digital ignition box off of a 2001 CR250 so there is additional wiring to do. For the money it has cost me so far it better work!

M
Jan 14, 2004
While it would be nice to have there are lots of things on a CR500 that I would spend money on prior to E start ie. billet case halves. If you don't already have a decomp valve that's the first thing to add it makes kicking a non issue. My CR500 kicks easier than my YZ450. I'd use a decomp valve even with the E start if it were me.

M5

R
Apr 18, 2016
I have decomp head with modified squish, I also have the electric starter. I have one of Sebastion's original ones made and have had some bugs to work out. It has not been completely reliable for me but it has been on me and Sebastian has been great at helping me get it all worked out. It has definitely been worth it for the electrical capabilities alone. I have heated grips and a fat headlight with electrical to spare. Sebastion's new design with upgrade to handle kickback is even better than his first. I have one of those on my AF trail bike and it has worked very well so far. The biggest issue I have had was the alignment of the motor for the starter to the housing. If your case has any damage in the chain cover area like I had it may not line up correctly. If the alignment is not great it will engage the ring gear incorrectly and the extra drag this creates will not allow the motor to spin at the speed needed to fire off the big beast. All and all for me on the snow bike I could never go back to living without it. On my trail bike that I use for nasty singletrack it has been great. Everyone I ride with is on some form of a 2 stroke 300 with electric start. I don't have any trouble kicking a 500 to life but those made a mistake nasty off camber sidehill sections that I would have to fire up my bike standing off the side with my left foot days are behind me. Also the jamming it up a hill launching over boulder inertia run to stall out fire ups are just nice.

S
Sep 22, 2013
Idaho
Mine doesn't like to start in 0 degree weather after a hour ride up the canyon. It always starts first kick after it's warmed up Last year there were a few days I would not have got it started without the electric start. I sure like a on my KTM 300 so why not have it on this beast

Premium Features