• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride on the Viper (stock)

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
We ordered a 3 inch PC track and Avid drivers for it yesterday.... Looking into BB kits instead boost should know more about the BB kits once testing has been completed in March. Rumor has it the BB Kit puts out roughly 170hp at the crank for under $1500. Optional Carrillo rods adds another $750. to the tab...Time will tell :face-icon-small-hap

DPG

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
We ordered a 3 inch PC track and Avid drivers for it yesterday.... Looking into BB kits instead boost should know more about the BB kits once testing has been completed in March. Rumor has it the BB Kit puts out roughly 170hp at the crank for under $1500. Optional Carrillo rods adds another $750. to the tab...Time will tell :face-icon-small-hap

DPG

What are BB kits? I haven't heard of them, but if they can add 40 hp for $1500, that seems like a good deal.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
For years now MotoGP racers have been using big bore kits on there race bikes. Hopefully the same logic can apply to these 4 stroke sleds. You can go online and buy these kits for bikes between $800 & $1200 for parts depending on bore & stroke size not including rods and race cam....Only time will tell how much reliable power they make...

DPG

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
Got ya. I didn't realize you were referring to a big bore kit. I thought it was something new that I hadn't heard of.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for the great report. I REALLY love the look of the new Viper. I bought a RX-1M in late summer of 2002 and rode it for 7 seasons. I learned to love that sled after adding a 16" wide track and a ton of other lightweight mods. Yes, the throttle control on a four stroke is a skill that is a must, especially in the early days of four strokes. The engine braking put me over the handlebars multiple times. Then when you would tip over the sled with four carbs, it would not want to start unless you held the throttle open for quite some time and you had better have a fully charged battery.

I would LOVE to ride a new Viper. Someday, I just might get the chance.

sledhappy

Premium Member
Nov 22, 2008
Great report. Have you thought about our going to put on any light weight mods? Really looking at this sled. Coming from a turbo'd Pro I'm leery but so intrigued by it.
Keep updates coming keeps me thinking.

Mods I'm thinking of. Your opinion 1 turbo 2 narrow front end 3 light weight hood&battery.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
They are about the same stock as they have been since the apex came out and mine is still stock, but give them a shot of air and it's a game changer:) first sled with a compressor and I'm sold. Really sold:)))):face-icon-small-coo

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
A 2014 pro rider cousin helped with the middle part of the install, hanging turbo and running oil lines, and he has thrown a leg over the saddle and liked it. :face-icon-small-hap

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Great report. Have you thought about our going to put on any light weight mods? Really looking at this sled. Coming from a turbo'd Pro I'm leery but so intrigued by it.
Keep updates coming keeps me thinking.

Mods I'm thinking of. Your opinion 1 turbo 2 narrow front end 3 light weight hood&battery.

Well, being that this is a factory sponsorship they want to keep it as stock as possible and part of my job is to help show that it is still a very capable and fun sled. I do think I can get away with a battery and will probably be doing that one.

One thing.. I am not sure that I would do a narrow front end though. I think as is this is very tippable, nimble, maneuverable as is. I would be nervous that it would roll to easily when you don't want it to if it was any narrower.

I would LOVE to ride a new Viper. Someday, I just might get the chance.

Come to W Wa! :)

For years now MotoGP racers have been using big bore kits on there race bikes. Hopefully the same logic can apply to these 4 stroke sleds. You can go online and buy these kits for bikes between $800 & $1200 for parts depending on bore & stroke size not including rods and race cam....Only time will tell how much reliable power they make...

DPG

Funny, I was wondering about this the other day! Hmmmm

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I'd like to retract my previous statement about narrowing the front end. This past weekend I got to ride a Viper with the skis moved to the narrower position and it made a noticeable difference, in the positive direction. I'll be making this change on mine.

xtrememotorworks

Powersports Performance!
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Wa
www.xmrinc.com
Big bore alone will not gain much at all, more tq but the Nytro is limited on room already. We can stroke them the get some more cc to but to be honest if you want any real Na power you need to attack the head and cams first. You will get up into boost cost real quick going after Na power and then you still lose power with elevation. My guess would be 5k for 40hp Na...

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have a 2015 cat M7000, pretty much a viper. I have been quite impressed with it as compared to the 1100turbo. It's still takes a bit to energy to ride hard like a M8, but for what it is they have done a good job. IMO it's pretty lacking for power and the clutching is very poor for over 8,000 riding. A turbo makes it so much fun, so much better than a similar hp 1100turbo. The bottom end and throttle response is very good compared to the 1100t. If you want a really good running 4-stroke its way better than any 4-stroke sled ever produced. Honestly I still prefer my 925 M8 most of the time.

Premium Features