• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 Mtn Cat 600 New Track & Extension Help - NOOB :/

N

Nychaze

Sep 15, 2012
Westminster, CO
Hey guys,

New to the forums and for the most part snowmobiles all together...

I just picked up 2001 Mountain Cat 600 with a 136" track 2" lugs, 2000 miles and looks to be in great shape.

Anyway...

I have been thinking about extending the track since the primary use with be getting back-country to go snowboarding.

What do i need to watch out for when looking for a track? I want to try to find a used one if possible and then change the length to fit the track.

What is the max width i can get away with...i have read 16" but does that require any trimming or cause for concern? Track too close to the coolers?

What length would you recommend? Could i go longer then re-gear?

Anyone have drawings or instructions on how to make a rail extension or is it best to just buy one from tracksusa.com? The tunnel and rain extension i would like to do myself or have my buddy do it that works at a machine shop.

Thanks for the help.
Pat - the new noob to the forum....

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
it all depends on what the snow conditions you will ride mostly in, how much you want to spend and how often you will be riding it.

a 136 is plenty for basic trailing to your spot, however if you need to get places that are tougher to get to like breaking trail, trees, and deep snow than yes I would extend it. You might want to think about some bolt on mods just to get you where you need to go.

I have a 153 powerclaw that is 15 inches wide with a 3.0 pitch.

If you have anymore questions shoot me a PM

N

Nychaze

Sep 15, 2012
Westminster, CO
What bolt on mods would you recommend?

Trail riding will be minimal...want to use the sled to get into the backcountry to snowboard so i am willing to sacrifice all ride comfort for the ability to trek through deep snow.

Will I be disappointed with a 144 setup? Will this require any re-gearing/changing the clutch?

How long would you go being limited with a 600?

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Where will you be doing most of your riding and at what elevation

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I currently have a 01 600 MC that had a 136 2 inch track when I bought it. I extended it to a 144 2 inch using a WPS 4 inch rail extension(approx. $75). I also removed the 2 outer bogie wheels in the front and added a 8 inch inside wheel kit on the back($100 for the offset axle and $30 for the 8 inch AC M-series wheels). If you go longer than a 144 you will probably need a tunnel extension. The track you need to fit your sled without changing the drivers will be a 2.52 pitch noched track (to clear the heat exchangers). An anti ratchet driver would be a good investment, the stock MC drivers only engages the inside rows of lugs where the anti-ratchet driver engages the outside row of lugs as well as the track windows allowing you to run a looser track freeing up hp and track speed. A 600 144" will not be as capable as a 800 153 or 169 but does pretty good if you are a good rider. I have not had the chaincase off so I cannot tell you what I am running for gears. I ride at 5-7 thousand feet and if you need clutching info let me know and I will get you the cluch info on my sled (I am sure there are better setups out there being used).

N

Nychaze

Sep 15, 2012
Westminster, CO
I live in Colorado and will be running it at 8,000-12,000 ft. What should I do for that?

I think I will go to the 144...it seems I can get used parts cheap enough. I think if I go any longer I should be looking at getting a 800...

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
You can go up to a 151 and drop down one tooth on your bottom gear! I have done this on a 2000 powder special! Rail extensions are easy fix or some times good used rails will work!

N

Nychaze

Sep 15, 2012
Westminster, CO
You can go up to a 151 and drop down one tooth on your bottom gear! I have done this on a 2000 powder special! Rail extensions are easy fix or some times good used rails will work!

What about clutching or did you leave stock.

What should I adjust or make sure is adjusted for high elevation? I am going to call the previous owner and see how he had it setup.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
The clutching is a matter or opinion. I don't recall the primary setup but I think the secondary was a 54/46° helix with a red/white spring.

Premium Features