• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 mountain cat 900 skis

J

jeepdad

Feb 19, 2011
PUYALLUP, WA
so my 03 mountain cat 900 has some simmons skis on them, i like the sled but these skis are worthless in powder and boondockin.

was thinking about a set of slydog 7" skis, anyone have any experience with these?

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
My wife and I both had 04 900 cats with simmons skis and loved them. Rode the sleds with those skis for 3 years and before that had simmons on 02 and 03 800 and 600 cats, liked the about 90% of the time. I won a set of sly dog skis and didn't like them compared to the simmons, they pushed a lot. I'd try powder pros before sly dog skis. A lot of friends had those, only complaints was in crusty snow.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
What's your issue with the simmons, they were pretty much the ski of choice on that sled. Personally I used C&A's and I know the guys liked the PP's also. Slydogs are not aggressive enough for that sled.

J

jeepdad

Feb 19, 2011
PUYALLUP, WA
What's your issue with the simmons, they were pretty much the ski of choice on that sled. Personally I used C&A's and I know the guys liked the PP's also. Slydogs are not aggressive enough for that sled.

they are flat, i really gotta lean hard when riding in the trees in powder, they push hard, on packed snow or groomed trail they are great. but i wanna get out in the trees more. my wife has slp trail skis on her ZR and has no steering issues, infact it cuts through the powder better than mine. it just doesnt want to rotate unless you are really hangin off the side and man handling it. maybe i am a wimp, but after a half hour of that i end up stuck and pooped!

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
What kind of simmons do you have, they certainly aren't flat, they just have their keel of the outer edges instead of the middle. the middle has a rather deep concave but it does snow plug and act like flat at times. I don't know what you mean by "rotate"? I do know what you mean about pushing hard, The sled is light in the front and they like to go straight ahead. PP's, tri keel or some C&A's work better. USI tripple threat and mods are all aggressive enough to work well. I also put a little less preload on my front skid shock and did a lot more manuvering using the throttle and counter steering.

Last edited:
A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
The simmons on our 03.5 900 work super. In the trees, hard pack, you name it they are great. I had them on my M1000 and hated it them. But with the light front end of the 1M they are great.

Thunder

J

jeepdad

Feb 19, 2011
PUYALLUP, WA
What kind of simmons do you have, they certainly aren't flat, they just have their keel of the outer edges instead of the middle. the middle has a rather deep concave but it does snow plug and act like flat at times. I don't know what you mean by "rotate"? I do know what you mean about pushing hard, The sled is light in the front and they like to go straight ahead. PP's, tri keel or some C&A's work better. USI tripple threat and mods are all aggressive enough to work well. I also put a little less preload on my front skid shock and did a lot more manuvering using the throttle and counter steering.

i'll try to take some preload out and see if that helps thanks. i am not sure which simmons skis they are, as far as rotating, when i get out in the soft stuff and lean and turn the bars i almost have to lift the outboard ski really high to get it to turn hard, the skis seem to plow and the sled seems to not want to turn, being of bigger stature i would think it would want to turn better when hanging off the side of the sled. i am by no means good at this, but my wifes zr and my summit x both with 136ish tracks will got through and turn better than my 151 track. just looking for advice on skis, thanks for all the help gang. it is certainly fustrating to turn the bars right and lean hard and the sled plows straight ahead and end up in a tree.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Next time you want to turn in soft snow just turn your bars the opposite direction a little and hit the throttle as you pull the way you want it to go...comes around real nice.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
i'll try that, souonds like i am an idiot.:face-icon-small-ton

definitely not an idiot. But you must RIDE a 1m 900. Or it will ride you.

They take a lot of rider input to get it to where you want to go, not that it takes a lot of muscle or effort but balance. If you want a sit on the seat turn the bars and go where you want then you need an old Phazer or a skidoo. I have found the 900 must be ridin like a motorcycle almost. You must lean and shift your weight for every turn. Not a great sit on the seat trail sled.

But like digger said once you get the hang of it, it's a blast!

Thunder

J

jeepdad

Feb 19, 2011
PUYALLUP, WA
DEFINATELY NOT A SIT AND RIDE GUY!

i love this sled, this thing is a blast and everytime i knock myself off of it trying to get it to do what i want, i end up laughing my *** off. getting better, but i was thinking different skis might make a bit of difference in the long run. i rode with a group last month, they said it was a good all around sled, but suggested sommons skis may not be the best for powder riding, i figured since i have more sled than talent i would work into them. but looking at all my other sleds and how wide and deep keel those skis are, i thought i would investigate something along those lines.

thanks again gang, love all the good info and help.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
skis

C&A Powder Pros are awesome on that sled. Ran a set on an 2003.5 Limited Edition 900 - 1M, for 6 years. Love them!

Premium Features