• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is anyone?

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Does anyone build cat triples any more? Either out of the original bottom end or 1M 900 parts. I know the thought leaves a bad taste in the mouth for some but just wondering...

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Im getting ready to build one for a buddy gunna use two 900 twins idcatman1/3 is gunna do the cases and crank. Tripples will never die!!!!

The small block tripple stuff like the zrt and even tcat stuff is fading but still out there.

I have a couple watercraft 1200s and they are awesome motors. IMO the big block cat 900 twin is the best 2 cylinder motor on the snow my watercraft motors are monsters and the polaris 800 motors are OK at best put a third cylinder on em and they come alive. I can't wait to build the cat version.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Keep me posted, I had a conversation with Idcatman1 about their engine but never heard how it is holding up so still waiting.. Yes I had a zrt 8 and loved the power would love to have another triple in a lighter chassis for the hills...

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I was gunna do a pictorial of the build and post it as we make progress. It should start hopefully in about a month or so!

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
This is the one my dad (Idcatman1) and I built ....3? years ago. It has held up great. We twisted the crank the first season, but it wasn't welded at the time. We've had no other motor problems, and it goes on every ride. Blow about one belt each year, mostly going flat out on the trail.

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

Enginefront.jpg

4-10-10BlackCanyon012.jpg

4-10-10BlackCanyon018.jpg

it works very well, and we will build cranks/cases for people who want them.

The second one for us is hopefully getting finished this summer.

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
I ran a 1025 crankshop tripple based off the rotax 780. Put it in a XLT chassis and lots of light weight parts, loved it, was a tractor. Had friends who had Paul McCloud build them a tripple rotary that screamed.

Premium Features