• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mad Forward Mounted Steering Post

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
I bought a KingCat last year with a forward mounted steering post ( love it) but after the season i had extremme play at the ball joint at the bottom off the post. I bought a new CR Racing Forward mounted post last month, nice tight steering again, 2nd tank of gas over a inch play in the steering post, 3rd tank of gas almost 2 inches of play at the top of the post, I thought something had come loose pulled belly pan and the new CR racing post is the same as my last one with the ball at the bottom loose as a goose, called CR Racing and they told me they weld a stock bottom on there chromoly post and told me I could send back post and have a new bottom welded on for one hundred plus dollars, pissed now not even three tanks of gas and post is shot, any ideas or thoughts, MADDOGWFO:face-icon-small-fro:face-icon-small-fro:face-icon-small-fro:face-icon-small-fro

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
Yeah I feel ya pain. Same deal happened to me. Bought sled 2 years ago and steering had that same play when I bought it. It came with the CR post. Thought Id try the Wildchild post after that first season so I bought one and after maybe 5 tanks of gas (I had a pretty limited season last year) it was super super loose up and down not just side to side. I took it back to WildChild (he lives an hour from me) and he replaced it for free which was nice but I am not expecting it to last forever unfortunatley. Wildchild said the same thing, its an Arctic Cat ball joint welded to his custom post and the weak link is the AC part.

Not sure if someone can come out with a Chromoly ball joint for the bottom piece.

:(

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
Thanks Fishtank for the imput

If I am going to do anything, I think I will order a stock post for $58.00 and have someone cut off the ball and weld it to the CR post, CR Racing wants to charge $100.00 plus shipping to do the same thing, they will not stand buy there product, there has to be a fix, if anyone has any ideas please help, MADDOGWFO

R
Nov 21, 2009
West Fargo, ND
Is there room to attach a mount similar to the top mount next to the ball joint to help handle the side force created while boondocking. This should help make the joint last much longer and maybe even no more problems again.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
In CR or WC's defense... it's not their product that's got the issue, it's the one stock part they put on there that has troubles.

I've wondered, if we were to shove some grease in there would it possibly reduce that wear some?

I've got a bunch of play in my current post, but my stock posts got the same amount of play even quicker... so hard to blame those guys for that.

Next one I'm gonna "inject" some grease around the ball, to see if that helps a bit, for me I think it's the upward motion of pulling back on the post that kills them.

horn813

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LaPorte, MN
Wildchild post

I did just that. Greased the snot out of it before installing it. Going on my third season on it with very little slop.

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
Thanks Guys for Imput

I think you guys have some good advice I will try, I just wish CR racing would have given me a head's up on the issue before I bought it because I told them about my problem with my last CR Racing post that came with the sled when I bought it, MADDOGWFO

K

kingkat1150

Jan 27, 2010
belgrade mt
Make sure that the post is shimed properly at the bottom. I have found with my post that if that lower mount was pulling down on the post it would wear faster.

Cheers

01ZRTCAT

Mar 12, 2010
I have a Wildchild post, new last season a few rides same deal. I contaced him and was told no warranty on the Cat part.... He did offer a fix that did work! Compressed air to push the plastic insert back in place, fill post with 2 part resin. It took 8oz of resin and it looks like it worked!

Give it a try

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
More post trouble :(

I just did one day at revy and my post is already loose. 8(

Side to side and up and down. Ill pull the bellypan off and make sure its all tight so i hope its just a loose nut but i dont think it is!!! :(

L
Dec 4, 2007
Red Deer, Alberta
how close is the weld to the joint? could it be the weld causing the joint to wear prematurely? or is the aftermarket posts flexing more or less, causing the joint to take more load? sounds like a common problem, would be nice to find a cure, not just a bandaid?

Just a thought?

horn813

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LaPorte, MN
Forward mount post

I replaced both plastic bushings when I put my post in. Like I said, I'm in my third season on it. Little or no play. The bushing are cheap. Replace 'em.

horn813

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LaPorte, MN
Forward post

Also, if you have vertical slop, your upper bushing has to be worn out or loose. If you are wearing out the bottom you must have issues with your other mount. Check yours out.

W

wildchild

Jul 4, 2001
lumby
HTML:
Maybe the weld is making it weaker.

Fishtank sounds like you got some other problems, your steering hoop is not bent is it ? I weld the bottom portion of that post with heim in water so the heat will not effect the plastic injection they use to retain the heim.

Your second post was built diffrent then the first one the bottom heim should not get play in it. I put a stop in it so the heim retainer could not come up, thats the reason the heims are loose the retainer works loose.

And even the stock posts the heims come loose, not just aftermarket posts

Premium Features