• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bought an 09 D8...

K
Jan 27, 2009
Should I invest in a PCV or trust that the 2010 updates and flash are going to work? What else to invest in for the sled?

Any help is appreciated.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Depends

I think that mainly depends on what kind of dealer you have and how much you want to tinker. Sounds like Polaris is starting to nit pick on warranty issues, and a good dealer can help make a lot of that "go away". I would try it first with the latest reflash on it that came out this week and go from there. I can say my 09 ran the best it ever did with stock clutching and a Precision Performance silencer. I now have an SLP single, slp clutching, big air kit, and fire n ice shock tower vents. I have been having a terrible time getting rpms, but my primary was out of whack and I just had it rebuilt. I also had the latest flash put on. I am hoping it will make a big difference. I can say these sleds really seem to run great between 8200-8350rpms. If you can achieve that you will be happy.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
PCV is the Answer

I found a major change with the PCV and I would not be with out it! The new map should help in the midrange since it is slightly richer but it wont give you the extra power at 8100 rpms which is good for 10-12 hp depending on the machine it is way rich up top IMO. It also only takes 2 minutes to remove the PCV.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Should I invest in a PCV or trust that the 2010 updates and flash are going to work? What else to invest in for the sled?

Any help is appreciated.

just my opinion...ride it first...the newest map initial responce is it helps both mid range and top end....so try it first..good clutching makes a big difference on this sled...the track works great in certain pow..others it sucks....the PC or the camo -x both work excellent...some kind of running board enhancement(better boards, meathookers)other then that..ride it...:beer;

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
It also only takes 2 minutes to remove the PCV.

If you have any hi-performance parts on (air horn, expansion pipe, ECU altering Power Commander or Boondockers ) they will not warranty . They will take pictures under the hood & of the hood for any modification to the intake or exhaust for the warranty claim. They will download & submit a history of the ECU of any past PC or BD installation for the warranty claim to show that one was not used. This is info is from my dealer and your dealer might be different.

Now this quote is taken from a thread on "t stone's" 800 crank problems by "bigtvents" (now I'm not inferring that these CFI 800's have crank problems, just trying to point out his warranty concerns)

Down time is one thing, but Polaris is trying to deny my warranty because I have a _ _ _ high flow air horn intake installed. I've been waiting three weeks and still no decision has been made.

I am now concerned about the whole impact the 800 CFI has had on Polaris Industries (monetary cost) & how it will change the relationship it has on it's loyal base.

Last edited:
L

Lano

Dec 15, 2007
Buffalo, MN
Ride It!

Ride it the way it is through this season. The extended warranty will be done after this season if it has had the 2010 update. Then do whatever you would like. My 09' performs awesome at high altitude, and now with the remap it runs well at low altitude. Invest in clutching first.
Lano

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
What kind of relationship do you guys have with your dealers. :confused: I would think most of them and Polaris themselves should be as giddy as children at Christmas to have us adding PC V's to these sleds. I think Polaris would have to prove that the fuel controller caused the failure and I don't really see how that would happen. The controller leaves no fingerprint on the ECU. It only modifies the signals going into it. From what we are seeing you are only increasing the reliability of the sled when you add one of these. So, the likeliness of a failure is drastically reduced anyway.
Bad Polaris if you won't warranty a sled when the customer is trying to make it run right when you can't :(. EPA regulations are causing Polaris a lot of grief with this setup. They aren't able to make a reliable fuel map and meet the standards at the same time. What they are trying to do to pass EPA standards was never meant to be done to a 2 stroke motor. It's ugly :p I believe the new map is map 6 for these sleds. That should tell a story in itself and a few of us still believe the original 08 map was the best. The only thing consistent about all of them is that they are extremely lean through the mid range.
If the sled runs good and you feel comfortable with it then run it. I don't mean to sound like you should void your warranty. However, after seeing some of the AF/R readings from the stock mapping I would be concerned.
They are way leaner than anyone would have ever jetted a carburated sled. Power commander recommends to never go leaner than 14.7 AFR yet Polaris mapping has shown AFR in the range of 17 :eek: I don't remember for sure, but I believe they are increasing fuel delivery 30-40% through the mid range. That is a lot! Even if you don't normally ride in the mid range, the potential is always there. If you need a better piece of mind I wouldn't hesitate to get a fuel controller. JMO and not gospel. :rolleyes:

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
What kind of relationship do you guys have with your dealers. :confused:

I have always had a good one and there an absolutely top notch Dealer, but the they need to submit the photo's & the downloaded ECU for the warranty claim to be approved up the chain. By no means am I putting any blame on a Dealer.

I think Polaris would have to prove that the fuel controller caused the failure and I don't really see how that would happen. The controller leaves no fingerprint on the ECU. It only modifies the signals going into it.

I was given the impression that Polaris can take the downloaded info & tell if a fuel controller was ever added. I am not sure how it's done or even if it can be done, but who knows, maybe they can look back into the download & see the fuel increases in the mid-range & say that's not any of the mapping we've had in the last 6 map's (6 maps? Has it been that many?........ Something's wrong in Pleasantville.)

Edit:

I think Polaris would have to prove that the fuel controller caused the failure and I don't really see how that would happen. The controller leaves no fingerprint on the ECU. It only modifies the signals going into it. From what we are seeing you are only increasing the reliability of the sled when you add one of these.

This go's back to my first post on what a monetary drain this might be having on Polaris & that they might use any trigger to stop a claim.

Last edited:
W
Feb 27, 2008
for the money (369 delivered) the pcv is the best money ive ever spent.its gonna give you more horsepower than the reflash and you can try any and all maps available.i currently run the 162 hp map from dynotech jim,but i also recieved a new low altitude map from slp yesterday to try.it takes seconds to load new maps.the pcv plugs inline with the ecu.it takes 30 seconds to remove and does not leave a "footprint" on ur ecu.i dont know what any dealer could accomplish bt snapping photos of the bottom side of ur hood???to be safe i would remove any and all mods before any type of visit to the shop.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
PCV Finger Prints?

Please correct me if I am wrong? or if you know differently? but as for any trace or fingerprints from a PCV is almost near impossible to prove! What I was told is that the PCV plugs into the output harness from the ECU to the electronic engine control system and there for will not and can not leave a trace or fingerprint.(Except for the velcro on the side of the air box)

So since it is not changing any internal readings or programming in the actual ECU. It only piggy backs and then changes the signal after coming out of the ECU for the fuel injection system or fuel injectors. How it works is simple, it does not change timing, the pcv either subtracts or adds fuel, or keeps the stock fuel settings at any rpm you want to modify.

Now if there was a programmer, chip or something else available you may have to worry about fingerprints in the ECU? I also think the BD box works in the same fashion and plugs in the same way as the PCV, it is just not as adjustable as the PCV. Polaris just wants to scare everyone that they may void your warranty if you modify the sleds epa programming and so they dont have more failures that may possibly cost them more money or warranty claims, but the PCV is making there defective maps usable and more reliable. JMO

Last edited:
K
Jan 27, 2009
Where do you order a PC-V? Do they come pre-loaded with the maps that you need or do you have to download them separately. I ride 0-3000 ft at home, and at 7000-8500 ft. in the mtns. Do you need to re-map the PC when you ride at low elevations and high elevations?

Premium Features