• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard pull after 30mph?

F
Oct 29, 2018
Hi, im looking for some diagnoses ideas.

After pulling carbs and cleaning because it had a starting circuit issue, My sled now seems to have ok starting acceleration then at 30-40 mph it wakes up and gives a noticeable hard pull. If I keep this speed up then it will give the same pull regardless of rpm.

thanks

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Diassemble clutches and clean them. Check secondary rollers for flat spots. Check for smooth operation of clutches on the bench.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

F
Oct 29, 2018
Thanks!

So I took apart and cleaned the secondary. Not to dirty. Button style clutch. Buttons were slightly worn will replace because they’re cheap. Helix looked good, slight galling, polished with rotary tool. Spring was pretty twisted and looked fatigued so definitely replacing.

Hopefully this will fix the issue.

2002 rmk 600

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Report back after you hit the snow. Good call on the springs.
Report back after a ride. Looking frwd to hearing the results.

F
Oct 29, 2018
Finally went out this morning. The cleaning and new spring was the fix. Pulls hard now right when you give it gas. Almost feels like the skis come off a bit.

Also changed helix home from#3 to #2 since I ride in the prairies.

8200 rpm and about 85ish mph

Thanks for the suggestions.:face-icon-small-hap

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
That is great to hear about your success! Good job on the cleaning and clutching!
May you have smiles for miles!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Nice, glad that worked for you. I've got the exact same sled, except with a 144 under it now – great sled and terrific engine! Even with the longer track mine will also pull to 80 easily, which I think is about where it runs out of gear. I could also lift the skis from a stop pretty easily with the 136 track; not as much with the 144. The 136 grabs better in dense or packed snow, but the 144 gets stuck a lot less!

Premium Features