• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KK pistons and head

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
Well as some of you know im on the edge of keeping the KK or selling it. Wanting a short track 144 or less.... for iowa,wisc trail riding....

So im thinking of short trackin the KK or just keeping the way it is and changing a few things around, work with the clutch and gearing..

So if i do keep it, going to put a top end in it..

What pistons are the Best to use, have heard cat pistons are the best, then what gaskets are you guys using?

then I was talking to a buddy who lives up in AK and he suggested to find a RK Tek head and run that. Said power gains are incredible... What are your thoughts?

I am in Iowa running 800 Ft elevations, so which domes am I going to need? and if i go west to 8000ft am i giong to be safe?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
At that elevation I would bet your gonna have to run race fuel with any kind of head. As for pistons. I have had great luck with SPI cast pistons. they are around 130 for a pair.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
I have had good luck with both SPI and stock 900 pistons. Not so good luck with Wisecos or some other sizes of stock. I would second what Rixter says about race gas at low elevation with a high compression head. As for being safe at higher elevations, you lose compression with higher altitude so you would be safe. The problem is going the other way. High compression at altitude gets higher with lower elevation.

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
Thanks guys, still up in the air on what I want to do, what are you guys paying for stock pistons? Want to build a reliable motor. Would like to do the head for the extra power of the head. Do they make other domes? Or just one size? Or would I be better off spending less money and having my stock heads milled/cut like we do with the 2stroke race quads? Just like the fact of the mono head helps keep the 900 square

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You could see some small gains with a rkt head and low compression domes. His dome's shape makes a little better compression camber out of it, so it is easier on fuel and adds a few horse. You could recut your heads and get the same results without the benifit of more coolant flow for better cooling. You would save around $200 re-cutting the factory head. I really doubt there would be enoguh gain to actually feel any difference on the trail. I think the head cut does clean the bottom end and gives you very good throttle responce. Bikeman, speedwerx and D&D all have good low elevation heads and deal with low elevation sleds a lot more than Kelsey does.

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
i really like the idea of the mono head, cooling, extra support, and fact its interchangeable.. have run pro design heads on the 250r's and love them...

would be nice for around here and then if we head west i could throw in the high comps for the extra boost...

K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
I think ive run every combination of pipes/heads ect. on a stock 900 motor and found a 14-1ish RKT head SLP twins and a 60 shot of Nitrous to be the ticket if you keep the motor stock. Stock pistons never let me down. I ran mostly 9000 and up but at 2000ft I ran 2 gallons of 110 with 91 and had no problems without nitrous. These are the only pics I could find of the old girl.

010-1.jpg

This one was ported as well.

005-1.jpg

Stock heads cut .20 with twins

sled1.jpg

Stock heads cut .10 speedwerx single

kevinshouse4007.jpg

Its not even worth spending money if you dont run twins. My opinion

Last edited:
Premium Features