• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Slide Rails, HyperFax & Seat Upgrades... ISO Feedback/Exp.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
Hey my fellow KC1M lovers! Looking for a little feedback on these aftermarket upgrades, or suggestions for better... but not more expensive setups. I'm a little dude on a pretty big sled but I ride fairly hard for a little gimp... so keep that in mind.
I picked up my 2004 900 carbed KK last year, first time I've owned one since I was a kid. Paid to have a reverse kit slapped in (picked it up off a real nice guy here... Arcticatdan), and went out to hit it hard. Was intimidated like crazy at the start of the season and begging for more, more, more by the end! No an uncommon story, I'd wager.

Cracked my rails last year. Lucky enough to have a fab shop close by but it's time to upgrade and avoid the downtime this season. I've checked around some, read some and talked to a few... I think I'm going to go with the IceAge Performance set for the 1M: http://www.iceageperformance.com/pr...il-for-your-m-and-king-cat-series-sled-1.html
Haven't ordered them yet... but looking for feedback and experience with these. Anybody run them, set them up, bought and broke them? I'll be installing them myself and I'm ok with a wrench, but a far cry from a real mechanic. My setup is 162" with 2 wheels in the back, right now. Been real happy with it... as long as the shock tensions setup right and I'm not too "tippy".

The other item in question is the seat. You see... I'm an amputee. Lost my left foot back in '96 and wear a BK (below knee) prosthetic foot. The socket comes right up to the bend in my knee... so having my knees tucked hard like the stock configuration was less than comfortable and I tore up a good deal of leg equipment last year, as well as spending some unnecessary down time I'd rather avoid this year.
I've checked out seat options and the best that I can come up with are the standards: BOSS seat and the Assault seat. BOSS wants an arm and a leg for theirs and I've heard/read to many problems with zippers and such for a seat that damn expensive. Besides that... I kinda dig the aggressive look of the assault seat and the price seems a bit more reasonable, although I don't think I've seen one on a 1M KC.
My biggest concern is getting that extra 3" of lift for my *** and reduce the bend in my knee. I'm hoping that'll give me a longer day out on the hill and better control of the sled when I'm tugging it around corners and such.

At 5'6" & 160 lbs., weight isn't a real big concern for me... but getting these two items taken care of should make for a much more rewarding year out in the mountains.

Anyway... thanks in advance for the input. Really hoping to get some good ideas, tips/tricks and maybe avoid some hassles, taking advantage of the experience I've found here before. :face-icon-small-hap

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
check out my best upgrades thread

People sell used boss seats all the time, highly recommended. Invest in a forward mount steering post either wildchilds or CR racing. I've used them both. I like wildchilds better because I broke the stop in the heim joint at the base of the post from CR. However that is not a clear representation of CRs products. I run a lot of their light weight stuff, Chad is a very easy person to deal with.

To the skid: ditch the pogoskid and put a newer M style skid on there. Transfers much better and it gives the kitty a step up when running trees. Sell the A20 and invest in a powerclaw.

If you have any more specific questions shoot me a PM and I can help you out....there is a lot of people on here and other sites well versed in these sleds. I'm currently in the middle of parting mine out (bought it in 04 off the floor) so if there is anything you think you might need or want just hollar.

welcome to the 1M family my friend

-Brandon

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Like said earlier you can probably find a used boss seat for cheap. Much more of a comfortable sit down position and easier to transition to standing. As far as the rails, if there cracked on top mid/front typical spot on the rails. I ran mine cracked like that for years. Just keep your eye on them, make sure they dont continue down past the horizontal fatter part.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
check out my best upgrades thread

People sell used boss seats all the time, highly recommended. Invest in a forward mount steering post either wildchilds or CR racing. I've used them both. I like wildchilds better because I broke the stop in the heim joint at the base of the post from CR. However that is not a clear representation of CRs products. I run a lot of their light weight stuff, Chad is a very easy person to deal with.

To the skid: ditch the pogoskid and put a newer M style skid on there. Transfers much better and it gives the kitty a step up when running trees. Sell the A20 and invest in a powerclaw.

If you have any more specific questions shoot me a PM and I can help you out....there is a lot of people on here and other sites well versed in these sleds. I'm currently in the middle of parting mine out (bought it in 04 off the floor) so if there is anything you think you might need or want just hollar.

welcome to the 1M family my friend

-Brandon
Thanks for the welcome Brandon. read through there last season... but a good refresher is in order after having a year out under my belt.
I checked around last year and the boss seats are easy to pick up used, like you say... but those damn zippers seem to be the real downfall. talked to a few others that love their wrp seats and I'll probably bite there... after I look around for some pics to verify. after getting used to the stock seat trunk... I know I'll want that bag too.
also hear that forward mount is the way to go... keep reading that but not really hearing "why" so much as "do". What's the advantage there anyway? I assume it's all about the easier turn/control. does the extra 3" seat lift make that an issue or is this just the standard upgrade, regardless?

not being an ***... seriously interested.

I haven't read up enough to know the lingo here... yet. sorry man... most of that is still over my head. too new to the sled I guess. :baby:
sounds expensive though and I'm on a tight budget... so just a few things each season. only paid 2k for it last yr. plan to replace with new aftermarket parts as it needs... until I win the lotto. :face-icon-small-ton

If you've got a good set of bars with working heated grips, or an exhaust can in that pile of parts... I'd be interested in seeing some pics and talking more. my wiring harness was raped by the previous owner and the can is an FMF titanium can off a dirtbike, modified to work. it works pretty good and sounds wikid. we contacted fmf and they said it will work fine... but needs repacked every 300 or so miles.

Oh yea... read some more. Didn't have the A20 when I got 'er. Already upgraded... some:
sled stats:
2004 Arctic Cat King Cat 900
162 x 16 x 2.3 challenger extreme non-ported track
billet 9" rear wheel kit
goldfinger left hand throttle
powder pro skis
speedwerx pipe & fmf titanium can

Just started on adapting some Skinz parts to my 1M, including a seat. I'll try to post up some pictures in a bit
love to see some pics.

Like said earlier you can probably find a used boss seat for cheap. Much more of a comfortable sit down position and easier to transition to standing. As far as the rails, if there cracked on top mid/front typical spot on the rails. I ran mine cracked like that for years. Just keep your eye on them, make sure they dont continue down past the horizontal fatter part.
The rails busted last year... and had already been patch repaired in the past. that and stress fractures showing around other bolt holes, seen last year during the mid-season quick fix convinced me to just replace them and avoid a day/night getting stuck out in the boonies. it's not about blowing money for me... as much as it is making sure I'm not stuck walking in any foreseeable situation. call it paranoia... :tinfoil3:

gonna pull the trigger on the seat... and hope for the best. good reviews all around and I like the style. we'll see... :lever:

If ur gonna keep the stock skid.. iceage rails r the way to go. What I'm running on mine. No issues but only ran tank of gas thru sled last season
yea... biggest reason to go with the replacement upgrades over the full mod style is all about the cash. glad to hear you've got and are happy with 'em. :rockon:

Last edited:

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Zippers were not a problem on the 1M seats. Boss started building seats for cats M-series in '09 and after that the zipper issue showed up.

The forward mounted bars is more of a preference thing. People wanted thier 1M to feel like an M.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
If you do any sidehilling, the forward post will help you move and keep your bodyweight where you want it. Now in your application, I would actually try and find one with the front post. I don;t know if you stand up much or jump side to side at all, but it also moves the post and handlebars out of your way. Plus it gives you more leverage.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
Thanks meat. I try to side-hill... how can you not at some points? I can't jump quick and I do better on one side than the other... but any advantage I can get is a good thing. I'm sure the seat rise won't help with that... but it's a necessary sacrifice.

probably be a few years before I'm out boondockin' it... but I was gettin' it pretty good by the end of last season.

You said "I would actually try and find one with the front post." do you mean the kit? I was talking with a dude on another forum who was telling me I should be able to flip the clam-shell around the front and have the same result. probably have to shave the carb a little for clearance, etc. I need to look into that wild-child kit thing... off to search.

got the rails from ice-age yesterday. opened up the box today and found some shipping knuckle head gave me white hyfax, instead of the black I ordered. sledsolutions shipping hasn't been very impressive either. should have done more research... but time is running short. ;)

Last edited:

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
You can flip the top bar mount but you can't shave the carb. You will have to bend the riser bar or buy one from wildchild to clear the carb. You will also need to cut an opening in the hood. No big deal.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
ya thats what I meant, I would find a forward mount steering post if i were you.... +1 on wildchilds post. I have a LOT of fun 1M parts left (nothing stock ;) ) let me know if you are looking for something in particular

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
ok guys... finally talked me down. talking w/Kurt @ WildChild now. Getting a quote and all the info. $200 seems a little steep for a bent rod... hoping there's a little more to it for the cash.

Got the WRP Assault seat in today. Haven't tried to fit it yet... but it looks bad-*** and the bag is massive compared to the stock seat trunk. I'll be able to take all kinds of goodies up now.

What do you have or recommend in the way of handle heaters? Mine didn't work at all last yr. and while it wasn't a big deal, some of those late nights my fingers got pretty stiff coming back down the mtn. and spooked me when I came fast into a corner and couldn't barely get my gloves around the brake.
Also... if you've got a decent can around, I'd probably take it. I really liked the modified FMF dirtbike can I have. Sounds bad-*** and worked great... but it's ready to repack according to the manufacturer and I'm not sure it's worth the cost of a roll of fiberglass and rivets to re-pack.

oh yea... just for grins, here's a pic of the new seat and bag I got today. :rockon:

KC_WRPAssaultSeat.jpg

Last edited:

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have a set of protaper bars, insulated with aftermarket hand warmers, gel wrapped black with a 90* hook and a 45* hook.

Premium Features