• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best M series Aftermarket Bumper Mod?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
Seems to be a lot of varying discussion on this, and many choices for a aftermarket rear bumper replacement, Which do think is the best? From what I have seen the BDX conversion appears to be widely used, however are selling alot cheaper in the swap meet than advertised, whats up with that? Theres the snoskinz mod that I would like to know more about, and then the 2009 OEM conversion. Is there more? I am considering this mod but would like the strongest alternative, dont wanna pull it off while towing a broken sled out of the backcountry

K.Materi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
The cheapest way is to order the 09 bumper and running board edges. The bumper cost 29.95 and the edges are 69.95. Flatten your cooler so you can taper it more. Mod the stock taillight or get an LED and your done for $100-150.

Last edited:
J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I think that i'm going with the 09 rear bumper and heat exchange cover and VE running board supports . You should be able to do this for about $200.

Whats the heat exchanger cover? I know what it sounds like but are you talking about the 09 rear tunnel section or that little piece on the end of the 09 tunnel. If your talking about the little piece, will bolt onto the 07-08 tunnels? I'm looking at putting the 09 bumper on w/ the BDX foot holds but I'm nervous about the heat exchanger bouncing around and cracking the tunnel like happened with the original BDX bumper.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Anyone have a pic of a sled with either the old Van Amburg bumper or the new one? I have heard they are ugly from a couple of different people, but since Van Amburg doesn't have pictures of either of them on a sled it is hard to judge for myself. I like the BDX kit, but have heard that the bumper isn't strong enough to pull with. I need a strong bumper to hook the Sno Bunje to.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee,Washington
tunnel end cap

Bighoe, They call it a end cap for the tunnel on the 09 , my dealer said that it should fit. The part number 5606-253 price is 11.95 , rear bumper for 162 part number 5606-479 $50.00

K.Materi, i have a 06 m7, the end supports from a 09 will not fit my running boards . they will fit 07-08. so yes that would be they lest expensive way to go on the 07-08.

M7SLEDHEAD

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Plato MN
Tunnel Mod

Will the end cap and bumper from an 09 work on a 05 and use a set of bdx running board supports? Whats with having to straighten out the cooler? I also have a snow flap and tail light off an 09. This will be going a 2005 M7.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I vote for the BDX bumper... :)

I see there are some comments about the tunnel cracking, we addressed that almost immediately, it was strange however there were some tunnels that cracked and some that didn't. There are so many variables as well on how people want to finish the tunnel..

You can definitly tow with our bumpers (personal experience) but I have not used or have not had any reports of bungee's being used??

Mike
BDX

Y
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee,Washington
end cap

Will the end cap and bumper from an 09 work on a 05 and use a set of bdx running board supports? Whats with having to straighten out the cooler? I also have a snow flap and tail light off an 09. This will be going a 2005 M7.

I'm going to try it on mine. Dealer thinks it should same width . I was thinking of the BDX board supports or the VE supports about the same price just trying to determine which would look better.

A
Dec 4, 2007
Fairbanks
I like my van amburg bumber, easy to install and looks good as far as i am concerned. Easy to find when the a$$ end is buried in the snow. And it is stout. I have towed with mine before no problem. Just my .02 cents.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I vote for the BDX bumper... :)

I see there are some comments about the tunnel cracking, we addressed that almost immediately, it was strange however there were some tunnels that cracked and some that didn't. There are so many variables as well on how people want to finish the tunnel..

You can definitly tow with our bumpers (personal experience) but I have not used or have not had any reports of bungee's being used??

Mike
BDX

Mike-
As far as the tunnel cracking, I wasn't saying that you guys haven't corrected the problem I was just saying that it makes me a little nervous. I pulled my stock bumper off last week and I can see how much the cooler bouncing could cause the tunnel to flex and eventually crack. I've been running the stock bumper and my tunnel is showing signs of fatigue on the corners where you guys had problems with the cracking. I know you guys have added the tabs to fix the problem but, with mine already showing some signs that cracking could be an issue, I'm reluctant to try anything that I'm not 100% sure I'm not going to have problems with. I'm not just concerned about the BDX bumper, but the 09 setup and VanAm setup. I don't want to take anything away from your product that most have agreed is exceptional, I just want to make sure that I don't create a problem that has me investing 1500 bones into a new tunnel. Again, its not just your product but all of the aftermarket bumpers that I'm concerned about.

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
I have completed a number of 09 conversions including 09 heat exchanger, LED, flap/bumper, etc. They go together fairly smooth, only two minor issues, first; on 05 to 07 the running board edge grips lack a couple millimeters of matching the holes in the tunnel so some drilling is required, second; the 09 rear heat exchanger employs 2 short hose elbows, these elbows require one leg to be one inch longer to reach the stock exchangers, so a trip to the auto parts store is necessary. Otherwise wiring the taillight is the only other item which is not a direct part replacement. They look great and are very light and strong. Not the cheapest or the easiest (gotta give that to BD Extreme), however the 09 conversion is definitely my vote for the best.

For those thinking of Flattening their own heat exchanger, keep in mind this requires bending and cutting the tubes as well as a likelyhood of minor welding. I found this to be the case while fabricating a few custom rear tunnels last season.

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
I have completed a number of 09 conversions including 09 heat exchanger, LED, flap/bumper, etc. They go together fairly smooth, only two minor issues, first; on 05 to 07 the running board edge grips lack a couple millimeters of matching the holes in the tunnel so some drilling is required, second; the 09 rear heat exchanger employs 2 short hose elbows, these elbows require one leg to be one inch longer to reach the stock exchangers, so a trip to the auto parts store is necessary. Otherwise wiring the taillight is the only other item which is not a direct part replacement. They look great and are very light and strong. Not the cheapest or the easiest (gotta give that to BD Extreme), however the 09 conversion is definitely my vote for the best.

For those thinking of Flattening their own heat exchanger, keep in mind this requires bending and cutting the tubes as well as a likelyhood of minor welding. I found this to be the case while fabricating a few custom rear tunnels last season.

Vohk,

Did you fab the old tunnels or add the 09 rear section?

Mitch

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
M series Bumpers

$9 and shop made, did this two my two earlier M's this is my 07 M8 , two years and its works fine.

I like the 09 snow flap and running board ends, will stick them on.

m8 bumper resized.JPG

Last edited:
B
Dec 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have the VE bumper and it seems pretty damn strong to me. I am also thinking of adding the 09 edges and supports in the footboards...is this going to make the tunnel weaker compared to the stock 07 set up?

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
I have done both, the units I did last season were fabrications, the units this year have been complete 09 conversions. The 09 conversions result in no discernible difference between 09 production units.

The Van Amburg bumper is a very nice piece, however does yield the same net result as a complete rear tunnel conversion.

S
Nov 26, 2007
washington
M series rear bumper

I put the VE rear bumper on mine, and it has worked great---simple and strong
Rimrock.jpg

Premium Features