• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Protecting feet from landmines

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Coldwave SX

I wear a pair of Coldwave SX powerskin boots. They are built like an MX boot, offer great support, although not 100% waterproof. Coldwave went out of business in 2015, but there is the odd pair for sale on eBay, etc. Hoping something comes to market once these wear out... Klim would have been better served to copy Coldwave’s design for the snowbike crowd then making the Havoc, which is too short to be useful IMHO.
Here's a pic of the Coldwave boots for anyone who's considering them. They can be difficult to find, but worth the search IMHO

IMG_0416.jpg

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
so lots of guys here are wearing plain ol MX boots for snowbiking? even in -20?

maybe ill give my sidi crossfire 2s a try next time im out.
Try some silicone water prof spray ! Good minero wool socks carry hot pockets . Its all you can do..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

X32

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2014
god damn, thats my worst nightmare.. scary stuff.

what boots were you wearing?

Sorry I just saw the question in the last sentence, I was just wearing snowmobile boots I was thinking about using my dirtbike boots but no insulation, big mistake! I'm not sure though if instead of dislocating my ankle and breaking my leg if instead I would have twisted my knee and maybe worst damage, as is I did strain my knee. Too much time laying in bed thinking about this ****!

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I wear the exact same protection on the snow bike as I do during the summer when on dirt. GOOD helmet (this is underrated in my opinion - a concussion in the backcountry can be deadly for not only you, but for the group who now has to care for you,) chest and back protector, knee braces with knee pads, shin guards, moto boots. Tried using good snowmobile boots, but they just aren't made for what we do. Ended up getting a mid-level moto boot (still good protection level) a full size larger than normal so I can wear a heavier sock and a gore-tex liner. For riding, they are about perfect. If I had to spend the night out there, I might be wishing for the snowmobile boot. But I carry extra socks and a hand full of hand warmers for that instance - as well as two space blankets, tarp, etc.. The chest protector is another piece that is underrated. I've had a few abrupt stops that caused my rib cage to impact the bars, a tree, or even a branch that would have, at the very least, caused me to be very uncomfortable on my way home. The "what-ifs" are just not worth it.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
I wear the exact same protection on the snow bike as I do during the summer when on dirt. GOOD helmet (this is underrated in my opinion - a concussion in the backcountry can be deadly for not only you, but for the group who now has to care for you,) chest and back protector, knee braces with knee pads, shin guards, moto boots. Tried using good snowmobile boots, but they just aren't made for what we do. Ended up getting a mid-level moto boot (still good protection level) a full size larger than normal so I can wear a heavier sock and a gore-tex liner. For riding, they are about perfect. If I had to spend the night out there, I might be wishing for the snowmobile boot. But I carry extra socks and a hand full of hand warmers for that instance - as well as two space blankets, tarp, etc.. The chest protector is another piece that is underrated. I've had a few abrupt stops that caused my rib cage to impact the bars, a tree, or even a branch that would have, at the very least, caused me to be very uncomfortable on my way home. The "what-ifs" are just not worth it.
I wonder how helmet makers combat concussions. What they are finding in football is that a soft shell helmet is superior to protect against concussion. The problem is that it’s the deceleration of the skull that causes concussion. So the “better” the helmet sometimes makes the damage worse. In bicycling the helmets that crumble to pieces on impact get the best marks for protection. It’s all about “give”.
The ultimate helmet would disintegrate in a controlled manner stopping your head over the whole distance between contact of helmet and the moment your head is about to crack open on the object you are hitting.

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
That is why the Old fibreglass shells were superior. They would deform and absorb the impact without a rebound. The standards are stet for multiple impacts requiring a hard shell . Now everyone is chasing there tail trying to build shock absorption inside a shell that wants to bounce like a Socerball.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Hey Chumbilly1 I am with you one 100% except ---- if some guy will line up next to you for a enduro race in high top sneakers you probably would tell him to go and invest in a pair of proper riding boots. I know i would.

The point is that they are just not available.

Fair enough. But we all know that doesnt always make the difference. Alot of it is just digestion, and acception of the risk. I always thought my sled crew was nuts for not wearing knee braces, **** most didnt even wear shin protection.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
One more comment. I think you all are right about the room for improvement! How about some talented individual builds some quality **** in the states or canada? Do you realize the fabric cost in a 600$ coat is like 17$? Just saying. Plus none of the big manufacturers back their **** up anymore.

V
Sep 14, 2017
Kent, Washington
I guess I completely disagree with everyone saying not to get the Havoc boots.

In my opinion, currently the two best choices are:
Havoc boots
High end MX boots with goretex liners.

By telling people not to get the havocs, you may have just convinced them to stick with their snowmobile boots. That's bad advice when the havocs are undeniably way better than snowmobile boots. Sure if they want to go with a high end MX boot for even better protection then go ahead and recommend that. But no one should be recommending sticking with regular sled boots.

I rode all last season on sled boots. Luckily I didn't hit anything with my feet but I knew the whole time that they were not going to be protective enough. This year I picked up the Havoc's and they are way better than regular sled boots. So far this year I've had significantly more accidents on my bike. The first was a large stick under the snow. I was very confident that the havocs would have protected me well had the stick hit me on the boot. It didn't though :( It hit me right on the upper shin 1" above the top of the boot. Nice bruise but I got lucky and nothing serious. My lesson? PUT ON MY KNEE / SHIN GUARDS.

Anyways. Love my Havocs, so glad I made the switch from sled boots. They've been fantastic all season so far. No wear and tear on them after around 10 rides. Could they be stiffer / stronger? Absolutely.

The most dangerous thing I had happen to me so far though was forgetting to hook my avi bag leg strap up to the waist band. It dangled down and got caught in the drive chain, wrapped around and almost sucked me backward off the bike. The first tug I felt I knew something was wrong and i slammed on the brake and came to a sliding stop. That was close!

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The Havocs may be the best snow bike specific boot out there. Only because it is the only one. No one would ever buy a dirt bike boot that has so little protection and so overpriced for what it is. But in the vacuum — lack of available competitive boots they are as close as it gets . To me that is not good enough.
If you do not ask for it you will never get anything better.
There will be no progress unless the consumer demands it.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Been using alpinestar corozal with good result ,,,, does the havoc has more protection then a corozal or toucan ?
No I would think you are better with those... The havocs are lower at the shin level then a normal boot... Still better than what is out there but that does not say much...you have to be able to kick a bike without putting a hole in it... I don't understand why they just don't take a normal MX boot and run insulation in it.. along with sealing it off better...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fwd55

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2015
Laval , Qc , Canada
Agree a waterproof MX boots would be the way to go , let see what the havoc 2 will look like , I heard rumor about fxr working on a snowbike specific boot , some competition will help the progress

P
Nov 27, 2007
Knee / Shin Guards?

Anyone wearing knee or shin guards under your bibs? If so, which ones would work well above the Klim Havoc boots? That is, not too long as to overlap.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I have for years. I use a kids hockey knee pad as they are short enough not to interfere with my boots. My regular 14 inch hockey shin pads are too big for riding but the kid ones are perfect. I think I got the set I'm using now for 10 bucks at the shop when I was in getting my skates sharpened. Even brand new they are pretty cheap. I have a nice set of Icon pads I use on my street bike but I've not tried them on the snowbike.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
yup, been wearing these for years. they work in all sorts of boots. not sure how much the shin protection is needed in the mx boots. almost seems overkill and extra bulk sometimes but I feel just a knee pad would leave a small exposed area.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Asterisk Braces , stupid expensive but they do the job . Pretty much a perfect fit to the Havoc boot , no gap between the brace and boot . They are more comfortable standing up than sitting down , something to take into consideration depending on riding style .

Premium Features