• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TS 137" traction

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
I'm beginning to be frustrated with my 2015 137" Timbersled by the lack of traction in powder. I don't get the feeling that the bike is underpowered, I just feel like my track spins and I lose momentum very quickly. I am pretty easily passed by my buddy with a '17 120" TS with the convex track both on flat and hills - we're both on 450's and the same weight ~180lbs.

I am wondering if it's a setup issue that I can change or if that's just what it is with the old style track. Any tips or suggestions?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Weight transfer is part of the equation. (The newer suspension does that way better)

Most of it is the track.

Swap to the convex 137.

It completely transformed my rocket bike.

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
Thanks for the insight fellas! I had a feeling that was the case... For the cost of swapping the track I could probably upgrade to a new kit (Camso, ARO, Raw w/ convex).

M
Jan 14, 2004
That's the conclusion I came to. It just wasn't worth putting any more money into the old TS. the design is dated. I sold my 137 TS and I'm currently looking for a second kit for my CR500. It seems like a crime to me to put a nice CMX track on a 2015 kit then have to hog a big slot for the chain into a brand new track. Unless I got a smokin deal on a convex track I was going with the CMX then the math wasn't there so its down the road.

M5

Last edited:
J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
What relocation bracket? I have a 14 LT kit with a convex track already on it when I got it. I just want to make it perform as well as possible... traction is not an issue so far.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Once you ride a newer kit the old TS LT feels like a sheet of plywood back there, they just want to be flat all the time. I rode mine for 6 seasons, not sorry to see it leave. Timbersled offered a small drop bracket extension needed for mounting a 2.5 on the 2015 kit, its not needed on the 2013 2014 kits.

M5

Last edited:
L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
M5, what are you riding now? Camso? That’s the direction I’m leaning, but I’m also interested in a newer TS with a convex track, just unsure about track length with that route.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Back when the Convex track came out I rode one and could immediately feel the improvement on the trail over the old 2". I rode the Yeti kit as well and was blown away by how good the ski worked compared to the TS in the deep, so much so that I bought the ski for my TS kit.

I kept making changes to try to make the TS kit more agile in the trees where we do 90 percent of our riding. When I finally rode a 2017 Camso I was amazed by what a relaxing easy ride it was. You can ride it with your knees and basically not even need your hands. It has the most wheel like feel of all the kits I've tried.

On the scale its a porker no doubt and the suspension isn't as good as the more conventional kits but the thing just works. The track rules, it dominates the convex track, as well as both Maxtracks which is why the maxtrack 1 and 2 are both gonzo and Yeti put the Camso track on their kits. Its the single best update Yeti/Camso have done to the Yeti kit since its inception.

The Camso track and monorail are worth the price of admission IMO. I wish the Camso kit was lighter, looked better, had better suspension, had a better way of locking out the chain adjustment, had better access to the tensioners, came with better quality chains, didn't have the goofy plastic back, had a belt drive and a few other things but I just don't see paying double for a Yeti, CMX, ARO.

For me its not strictly a dollar decision, if those other kits got me places the Camso didn't I would already have one, but they don't. I don't want a 10 inch track because I like to go slow at times and find routes, if Yeti had come out with a 129 Freeride with 5.5 rail spacing I would have bought one but they didn't. I hear through the grapevine, and it could be total BS, that the Yeti will be much changed for 2020 but who knows.

Last season a buddy who I ride with sold his 2015 TS 120 kit and bought a 2017 120 kit with the 2.5 inch. I could pass him like he was tied to a tree on the 2015. The 2017 was an improvement but no way can he climb like I can.
I think for my style of riding the 129 track is the ideal length, it does everything well.

The guy I ride with the most just added a 137 CMX track and Iceage rails to his 2013 TS kit to the tune of about $1300 bucks so we will see how that plays out this weekend. Hopefully it works for him, it will be an improvement over the 120 2" he had.

My kit wish list:
12 inch Camso/CMX style track maybe a 2.75" paddle
Real rebuildable coil over shocks
Monorail or 5.5 rail spacing
120-130 lb total kit weight
Trail adjustable spindle for wheelbase adjustment c'mon guys this is easy
Adjustable ski mount for different bikes
Tough as hell and modular like CMX
Belt drive
Great ski

Until then I will just stick with the Camso.

M5

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Back when the Convex track came out I rode one and could immediately feel the improvement on the trail over the old 2". I rode the Yeti kit as well and was blown away by how good the ski worked compared to the TS in the deep, so much so that I bought the ski for my TS kit.

I kept making changes to try to make the TS kit more agile in the trees where we do 90 percent of our riding. When I finally rode a 2017 Camso I was amazed by what a relaxing easy ride it was. You can ride it with your knees and basically not even need your hands. It has the most wheel like feel of all the kits I've tried.

On the scale its a porker no doubt and the suspension isn't as good as the more conventional kits but the thing just works. The track rules, it dominates the convex track, as well as both Maxtracks which is why the maxtrack 1 and 2 are both gonzo and Yeti put the Camso track on their kits. Its the single best update Yeti/Camso have done to the Yeti kit since its inception.

The Camso track and monorail are worth the price of admission IMO. I wish the Camso kit was lighter, looked better, had better suspension, had a better way of locking out the chain adjustment, had better access to the tensioners, came with better quality chains, didn't have the goofy plastic back, had a belt drive and a few other things but I just don't see paying double for a Yeti, CMX, ARO.

For me its not strictly a dollar decision, if those other kits got me places the Camso didn't I would already have one, but they don't. I don't want a 10 inch track because I like to go slow at times and find routes, if Yeti had come out with a 129 Freeride with 5.5 rail spacing I would have bought one but they didn't. I hear through the grapevine, and it could be total BS, that the Yeti will be much changed for 2020 but who knows.

Last season a buddy who I ride with sold his 2015 TS 120 kit and bought a 2017 120 kit with the 2.5 inch. I could pass him like he was tied to a tree on the 2015. The 2017 was an improvement but no way can he climb like I can.
I think for my style of riding the 129 track is the ideal length, it does everything well.

The guy I ride with the most just added a 137 CMX track and Iceage rails to his 2013 TS kit to the tune of about $1300 bucks so we will see how that plays out this weekend. Hopefully it works for him, it will be an improvement over the 120 2" he had.

My kit wish list:
12 inch Camso/CMX style track maybe a 2.75" paddle
Real rebuildable coil over shocks
Monorail or 5.5 rail spacing
120-130 lb total kit weight
Trail adjustable spindle for wheelbase adjustment c'mon guys this is easy
Adjustable ski mount for different bikes
Tough as hell and modular like CMX
Belt drive
Great ski

Until then I will just stick with the Camso.

M5

I would say you are on point with your wishlist for sure. One thing I would like to add is that When big corps buy these products our end of customer service plummets. I think CMX has a big advantage in this aspect. I miss C3 for real! And back to the point of this thread, the 2015 TS was an oddball. I would say update to a newer preowned kit and don't look back. IMHO of coarse:face-icon-small-win

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
M5- Thanks for taking the time to write that out. It explains a lot and really solidifies what I’ve been thinking. Sounds like we do the same type of riding and that the Camso would be a good fit. I’m not looking to do big drops or race it, I just want to pick my lines through the trees and be able to hold them!

Did you stick with the Yeti ski paired with the Camso skid?

I’d be interested in a ride report from your buddy that added the 137” CMX, let us know.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Will do he will be here tomorrow. No my Yeti ski is sitting in my garage I never mounted it to the Camso kit. I kept it when I sold my TS. Correct back to the point of the thread, tracks. Camso or CMX 1 and 2 or 2 and 1 take your pick depending on conditions, every other track is an also ran and tied for last place. If the Camso kit didn't have that track and the monorail I wouldn't be on one.

M5

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
OK well here it is. We rode yesterday with my Camso and the newly assembled 137 CMX 2013 TS. The CMX track completely transforms the old TS kit from a traction point of view. The added length and paddle allow my buddy to climb and go places he couldn't before. The kit still pushes hard turning in tight situations but I lent him a Yeti ski which helped keep it in check. I can still outclimb him by a little bit but the CMX track is so much better its not even funny. I should note we both have identical GYTR YZ's running the same tune. I will try the bike out today myself.

Am I sorry I sold my TS, not really. The kit has the same bad handling habits as before, it just doesn't get stuck. If you are on a tight budget buy a cheap 2.5" track, if you have a bit more money on hand do the math on CMX track upgrade vs kit upgrade. With a kit upgrade you also get some additional handling.

Hope that helps

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
CMX

I have about 15 rides now on my 137 inch CMX track on my 16 timbersled. I am quite pleased with it. It does well in the powder but where I really notice the difference is when there is any kind of base underneath the snow. Just what I was hoping for. My main riding buddies are on Aro 129’s and 120’s. Climbing is comparable to the 129’s. I might even have a slight edge.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Make that 16.

Make that 16. Deep deep deep. Track doing well. Bike needs about a hundred more hp. Also when its this light and deep everones air box clogs a bit. If it was this conditions all the time i might go the ball buster pod plus earplugs.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I put the air intake from C3 Powersports on my yz450fx. It fits under the shrouds still so it isn’t as noisy. It works great.

That one does look nice. I have a pod in mine as well built by toby till at Rocky Mountain snow mx in colorado. It works well but in certain conditions it will still clog. Last night we were riding downhill in third and fourth gear and tunneling for hundreds of feet at a time. Had to let off the gas to see where you were going then throttle again! Pretty amazing. Just had to brush my filter off five or six times during the course of the ride.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Make that 16. Deep deep deep. Track doing well. Bike needs about a hundred more hp. Also when its this light and deep everones air box clogs a bit. If it was this conditions all the time i might go the ball buster pod plus earplugs.

Your old track is doing pretty good with 118 hp attached to it.

f409028832f3bc6a8c65a87f7d989d99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Nice!

Glad it is working out for you. That bike of yours looks super fun!

Premium Features