• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Happened to Being Able to buy an Alpha Rear Skid for olders sleds

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
It was just about a year ago when the new Alpha One rear skid was released to the public. At that time, there were going to be retrofit kits offered for earlier Proclimbs. If I remember correctly, the price was set and was going to be in the $2-3, 000 range for a complete kit. There was a lot of initial demand and from what I understand, down payments put down and then all of a sudden the whole process stopped. I heard it was due to a lack of parts availability.

I am still interested in the idea but, what ever happened with this process?

Did Cat figure that by not selling Alpha one rear skid update kits that it would drive more new sled sales?

Last edited:

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
CAT (textron) sent an email out today stating the rails are available, but show “extended backorder” when you look them up. Dealer can only get one if he provides pics to cat of the broken rail, then he is allowed to order.

This was the last I've heard of anything.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Dang, so it was a conspiracy theory to sell more new sleds. :eyebrows:

However, I would think Cat would stand to make a very good profit margin by selling Alpha One retrofit kits as well as new sleds.

I wonder if they were holding back and waiting to see if the concept was durable enough and if it proves itself to work (like their testing showed) when applied to real world mountain riding?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Will the aftermarket shops be able to produce their own versions? Or are the patents strong enough to stop such?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Dang, so it was a conspiracy theory to sell more new sleds. :eyebrows:

However, I would think Cat would stand to make a very good profit margin by selling Alpha One retrofit kits as well as new sleds.

I wonder if they were holding back and waiting to see if the concept was durable enough and if it proves itself to work (like their testing showed) when applied to real world mountain riding?
I've already seen the second Alpha track on a test sled. A More trail friendly track.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Cat pulled the plug after all the negative feed back they got from people who had snochecked.

Do what my buddy did...buy the Alpha 6000, pull the track/skid and put it on your mountain cat, problem solved

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
If I remember correctly, you had to have the longer/lowered chaincase for the kit to work on an earlier Proclimb, right?

Can you imagine one of these kits on a 2010-2011 M8 or M1000.

Talk about a recipe for fun!

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
If I remember correctly, you had to have the longer/lowered chaincase for the kit to work on an earlier Proclimb, right?

Can you imagine one of these kits on a 2010-2011 M8 or M1000.

Talk about a recipe for fun!

Yes, it needed to be an 2018+ or have the mountain cat(2017) chaincase swapped in. And Yes an M-series would be awesome with this:bowl:

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
M monorail

I didn't think anyone still had any love for the "old M" which was eclipsed by the Pro-Climb which in turn, took a backseat to the Ascender. I still have a '10 M8 LTD with only 1,200 miles on her; a 2.6 PC track, shock upgrades & clutching improvements! Maybe she needs a monorail?

Last edited:
W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Cat pulled the plug after all the negative feed back they got from people who had snochecked.

Do what my buddy did...buy the Alpha 6000, pull the track/skid and put it on your mountain cat, problem solved

A 13K 600 just so I could have the mono rail? No thanks. Spend 14K and get the Alpha at that point.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
A 13K 600 just so I could have the mono rail? No thanks. Spend 14K and get the Alpha at that point.

guy who did it bought the 600 for his gf and then swapped skids. makes sense to me if you were getting a sled for the gf/wife that was just going to be doing some casual riding.

Premium Features