• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What track length is working best with the Alpha one rear skid?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
What rear skid length is working out best with the Alpha One rear skid?

I have a 2015 Proclimb 153" with a TKI belt drive and the lengthened 2017 Mountain Cat chain case and a 3" track. The sled is super fun but, when it gets steep it really likes to stand straight up and I have to let off the throttle to keep it from going over backward. I will keep playing with my rear suspension adjustments to do my best to keep the front end light and lively but, to not let the sled come over backward. The reason I ask is, I am starting to look at getting a newer sled and I am thinking a longer track may help with this tendency.

So, what are you guys seeing with the 154" and 165" Alpha Ones?

Are the 154"s still prone to stand up in climbs and are the 165"s still fun?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Yes and yes.
154 will wheelie more than the 153 mtn cat
165 is still fun, doesn't wheelie anything like the 154.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
It reacts very, very well to suspension changes. First day out I was thinking I probably should have bought a 165. Day 2 adjusted suspension and it is very planted. I’m actually going to go back the other way to make it a little lighter in the front end.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Yes, there seems to be a very fine line ( like a knife edge) trying to find the perfect balance of light and responsive front end that doesn't want to stand straight up when climbing.

So here's a question, can a 165" rear skid be adjusted enough to make the front end feel light? Every 162" and longer I have ridden just didn't have that dancing front end I love where you are basically using body english to steer a lot of the time.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Is the QSL shock the answer?

It makes a difference, but I run higher rear pressure anyway so it’s not really that critical. I tend to like a more planted feel. It is plenty “flickable?” Even when it’s adjusted to be planted (high rear pressure, low front skid pressure).

If you like your front end off the ground a lot, but then need more stability for climbing or sidehilling steeper terrain, the lockout works really good.

I like these new shocks because it’s quicker and easier to adjust. Didn’t like having 8 different reservoirs to adjust with the evo chambers.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I hated the feel of the 162s. Tractor feel trying to get the front end up and doing donuts. Always liked the responsive feel of the 153s. Never with the 3" tracks have I felt I needed a longer sled in CO. Can always get to where I want up a mountain. I almost went 165 on the Alpha cause everyone was saying the 154 is almost too responsive. Glad I didnt. 154 is easily controllable. Does wheelie more than my 18 153. Wheelies about as equal as my old 16 153 w 7 tooth drivers. And if you have to climb something super steep just hit the 3rd setting on the rear shock. I bet I would have been upset if I got the 165. It comes down to what you want to do on the sled and how aggresive of a rider you are. For jumping, $hit hook turns, re entries, and popping the front end up to get over a creek, it's hard not to want the shorter track.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
the QSL does give you a bit more in the way you can keep the front down on a climb but yet make in playful with easy. put it on my 16 and for the money really like it. now have it on my silber mt cat 162 and need it in a climb to keep the front down. Yes not an alfa but this shock package make the range of fun on each track size a bit more broader

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
It makes a difference, but I run higher rear pressure anyway so it’s not really that critical. I tend to like a more planted feel. It is plenty “flickable?” Even when it’s adjusted to be planted (high rear pressure, low front skid pressure).

If you like your front end off the ground a lot, but then need more stability for climbing or sidehilling steeper terrain, the lockout works really good.

I like these new shocks because it’s quicker and easier to adjust. Didn’t like having 8 different reservoirs to adjust with the evo chambers.

Do these new shocks effectively negate the need for the EVOL chambers? These are the first air shocks I have had without the evol and the added chambers made the floats much better. Basically, I am asking if arctic cat left them off to save coin or if they are just not needed with the qs3's. I haven't had much snow to really try them out yet.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Do these new shocks effectively negate the need for the EVOL chambers? These are the first air shocks I have had without the evol and the added chambers made the floats much better. Basically, I am asking if arctic cat left them off to save coin or if they are just not needed with the qs3's. I haven't had much snow to really try them out yet.
They are so much better than what came on the 2016 limiteds

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Yeah, the three settings replace the evo. The shocks seem pretty good so far. Will get a lot more of a workout this week.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com

I added EVOL chambers and had some re-valving done to the QS3's on my 18. Just one ride in, but so far I'm really liking the set up. Lot's of adjust-ability and there is less bump shock through the bars!

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
Thanks for the info on the shocks. Can't wait to try them more. I didn't mean to hijack the original post. I have the 154 and the little time I have had on it, I do not regret it at all.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Have a friend who has been a 153 guy for years. After spending some time on both 153 and 165 alphas, he’s looking for a 165. Put the new rear shock in position 3 and it really helps keep the front end down in steep powder climbs on both track lengths, 165 is a little better than the 153.

B
Nov 12, 2018
I almost picked the 154 but it was a week or so till delivery. They had the 165's in stock, that's how I decided. I wanted the 154 so it could wheelie easier, turns out my 165 lifts the front up more than my 2015 m8000 in 153. Most of the time its trying to lift while climbing, on the flat it feels very similar to my old 153. I find the alpha track gets alot more traction than anything I have been on so far. I still need to play with my suspension settings while on the mountain. I have one trip in the mountains and just rode it with the factory settings trying to get used to the new skid. I have found the track to be good playing in the trees, only a couple of times I noticed that it's a little longer when turning sharp and slow. I am happy with the 165 and can only compare it to my 2015 153.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
BCpappy, good review! Since I currently have a 2015 M8000 153" everything you said was very relevant.

What you said here really surprised me "turns out my 165 lifts the front up more than my 2015 m8000 in 153". WOW, if that's the case, the answer should be easy. Thanks

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
BCpappy, good review! Since I currently have a 2015 M8000 153" everything you said was very relevant.

What you said here really surprised me "turns out my 165 lifts the front up more than my 2015 m8000 in 153". WOW, if that's the case, the answer should be easy. Thanks
My 14/16 153x3 has way more ski lift than my 165 Alpha, it's Not even close.
That said, my 165 Alpha will whoop my 14 in every other aspect of riding.

If u prefer re-entries and hop-overs get the 154.
If u still like the challenge of trying to get the himark(not climb out the top) get the 154.

If u hate getting stuck, like to stop uphill in the trees, and don't mind making it the top of the climb on the first try. Get the 165.

Premium Features