• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt squeal on 2018’s?

ARCTIC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Belt squeal on 2018’s?

I was in a hole yesterday and working the 2018 M/C sled hard in some deep snow. I started hearing a squeal from what I assume was the belt. After noticing it on at least two occasions within about 5 minutes, I stopped and opened the side cover and looked over everything. All seemed fine. It was fine the rest of the day. I have not sealed the gap in the hood that some have mentioned and was wondering if that may be the culprit or if the clutches were just too hot. My wife mentioned a similar squeal on her 2018 M8000 on the ride back to the trailer. She doesn’t work her sled nearly as hard as I do so I was surprised to hear that her sled was also making a similar noise. Both sleds have about 300 miles on them. There was a bunch of powder yesterday so that makes me wonder if it was snow injestion.

Last edited:

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
I get it in reverse when in deep snow, never found any issues when it happens and it seems to be pretty common so I just ignore it.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
That’s what it sounds like but that sled(2018-2019 Cat 8000) has auto belt deflection. I wonder if the clutches take a little time to auto adjust the deflection? Maybe when the clutches get hot from being worked hard the belt gets tighter from the aluminum clutches expanding. Then it either adjusts itself or the clutches cool off and it doesn’t need to?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Dave I’d check anything “automatic” on a sled. :face-icon-small-hap

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
Are you sure it is belt squiling.... Because - 18 make that noise like supercharger on low speed. But i think it comes on the bearing in clutch...

Lähetetty minun K10000 Pro laitteesta Tapatalkilla

ARCTIC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Belt squeal on 2018’s

Are you sure it is belt squiling.... Because - 18 make that noise like supercharger on low speed. But i think it comes on the bearing in clutch...

Lähetetty minun K10000 Pro laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I went out yesterday on Christmas and it didn’t make any bad noise at all. The other day it did sound like a belt squealing but possible it is a bearing on the clutch. I have never heard that theory before.

Since there is no adjustment and the sleds are almost new, I cringe when I hear anything unusual. I like the idea of these clutches with no deflection to adjust and the easy engagement is sweet. My wife liked them so much she made me buy her a new sled last year.:face-icon-small-hap

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Makes sense that if the bearing in the primary was sticking, that it could cause belt squeal. Should be easy to check though, just pull the belt off and rotate the bearing by hand to see if it's binding/sticking.

Premium Features