• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blackhills Conditions #1

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Is the snow gone?

Snocop did the snow melt today? Will it last for the next 4 days? With the warm temps and sun I expect Mountain Meadow snow is gone. :juggle: still deciding on the trip from Iowa out tomorrow.

I finished trail inspections today. I rode all 350 miles of trail by snowmobile. I cannot remember the last time I was able to conduct the pre season inspections solely by snowmobile. There were a few areas I wish I had not used the snowmobile like 7 and 7C but most of the areas were in really good shape for this early in the season, especially to the South. It started snowing this afternoon. There was 4 inches of new snow on the ground at Hardy Camp when I left at 5pm and it was still dumping hard. The wind was also starting to blow. Crews will start grooming Saturday afternoon.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Snocop did the snow melt today? Will it last for the next 4 days? With the warm temps and sun I expect Mountain Meadow snow is gone. :juggle: still deciding on the trip from Iowa out tomorrow.

I am up at Hardy right now. No noticeable melting going on. I do not expect issues with melting this weekend. Deerfield should be OK. If the trail out of Deadwood is gone (I do not expect that) you will not have any problems riding out of Rec Springs. Rode South of Hardy today. Snow looks good.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Awesome

Thanks will see you this weekend. :face-icon-small-ton.

I am up at Hardy right now. No noticeable melting going on. I do not expect issues with melting this weekend. Deerfield should be OK. If the trail out of Deadwood is gone (I do not expect that) you will not have any problems riding out of Rec Springs. Rode South of Hardy today. Snow looks good.

SDPowderRider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2010
Central SD
We rode two days over the past weekend (15-16) out of Trailshead Lodge. Went south the first day, great powder and untouched meadows for miles. Was a awesome BHills riding day. Second day we went north. Not as much snow north, but still great riding off trail if you know where to look/go. They did groom up the trails nicely on Saturday night. #4 going north was smooth as an interstate highway and lil traffic. Was in the 30's both afternoons and only saw min melting around the lodge and parking lot. Snow was beginning to set up and could be a great year if we keeping getting some new.

South picture:
n5yQgpM.jpg

North picture:
IbSSNDT.jpg

Last edited:
S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Great trip

I agree I must have been right behind you in the meadows. The trail back into deadwood (5) was kicking a few rocks and some slush. Thanks to snocop for report Friday as the weather was warm.

We rode two days over the past weekend (15-16) out of Trailshead Lodge. Went south the first day, great powder and untouched meadows for miles. Was a awesome BHills riding day. Second day we went north. Not as much snow north, but still great riding off trail if you know where to look/go. They did groom up the trails nicely on Saturday night. #4 going north was smooth as an interstate highway and lil traffic. Was in the 30's both afternoons and only saw min melting around the lodge and parking lot. Snow was beginning to set up and could be a great year if we keeping getting some new.

South picture:
n5yQgpM.jpg

North picture:
IbSSNDT.jpg

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
What about the riding around Devils tower. Always wanted to do this kind of a bucket list.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
And also with government shutdown are sdsnowcop on vacation or are you paid by state.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
That looks neat thanks for posting those pic hopefully the storm will dump lots of snow I will be on road 26 of December.

SODAK-DOO

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2015
eastern south dakota
hows the snow looking original plan was to leave tomorrow not sure that will happen now though

I know a few that were there earlier in the week over the holiday and said it was warm and had settled quite a bit. they were riding mountain sleds and had overheating issues the further they got away from trailshead. But they said they knew that it might be that way and went anyway. They also said that it is setting up real nice and covering stumps and fallen trees for future storms.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Rode last weekend. Trails were hard and smooth. Found some thin spots on 2 South of Flag Mountain going into Mountain Meadow but still rideable. I did the lake cut across. There were ice fisherman with ATV's but I was the fist snowmobile track. There is a pressure ridge forming at the head of the bay going into the resort. Rode into Recreational Springs. Some thin spots on 5A. 5 was pretty good. Back up to Hardy last night. 2 inches new snow yesterday and 2 inches overnight. Still snowing lightly. 2 groomers were out last night.

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
Just wondering about updated conditions. Thinking of coming Monday. Probably unload at trailshead and wondering which direction is best snow at this time?

Premium Features