• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Panthera 550 ES with balancer........ is this game over?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
102 hp? Really? From a 550? What magic was used to produce all this extra power? Hmmmmm. I guess the old engineers that designed the old KX and CR 500's must have been total morons. Who knew there was an extra 40 horse in those things.Making an honest extra 10 hp. is monumental. Congratulations for adding 40.

Like others have said I assume it’s race gas 102hp.

As far as 72# and 100 hp goes I think the price is reasonable.
(Assuming it’s legit)

A 600 twin puts out 120 hp easily in pump gas form so it doesn’t sound that far off. (Yes I realize twins have better efficiency)

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
A550 single and a 600 twin are about as far removed from one another as a Harley V/S R1 engine =not even in the same ballpark. I have seen up to 85 HP on the Dyno for a 500 factory Maico race fuel the works. After that the detonation Fairy will wave its magic wand.
A big Jug like that is almost impossible to fill with an even air fuel Mix and piston speed will dramatically limit safe RPM.
In all reality one should be very happy with an Honest 75HP out of an engine like that -- if you want it to last any amount of time

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I’ll find out this winter. A friend has ordered one (not sure on delivery expectation) for use on custom made snowbike.

http://gnarbike.net

I rode the CR500 powered bike, Totally different feel from a dirt bike conversion.

That CBR 1000 is just wicked.

R
Apr 18, 2016
Hope the engineering on this motor is more solid than the CR500 electric starter kit panthera made....nothing but problems for almost everyone who has one ,Myself included. Go to the CR500riders webpage if you want the full followup from utter excitement to complete letdown with full documentation of the multiple problems all associated with poor engineering.

Sebastian is a pretty cool dude and worked with me for a while trying to get it all sorted...I never really did and the support died as well. Lesson learned but I will watch from the peanut gallery before peeling any more cash.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
to me that panthera seemed like a dud from the start. Hoping the brc will be better, but where are all the guys that bought those kits? Should be a few on the snow by now

4 or 5 seasons on my kx. Pretty happy for now.

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
to me that panthera seemed like a dud from the start. Hoping the brc will be better, but where are all the guys that bought those kits? Should be a few on the snow by now

4 or 5 seasons on my kx. Pretty happy for now.

Im ready for a brc 660ish v twin smoker with the cvt, sounds like more of a game over to me.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Same here. Debating whether to wait for it or build my own with a skidoo 600

Build your own.

It’s better than waiting every time.

bb5d6c38778ba29f400537e6b072f41e.jpg

Here’s 130 hp.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
How does that thing goes?

Goes 80% of an axys in first gear........
Light ski (effortless weight transfer)

Blitz through the trees at high speed with the ski in the air.

Still having issues with the stator on the bike though.

Currently mounting a longer travel shock for the main swingarm.

Premium Features