• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Chute Turbo Kit Falling on its face

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
I just got off the phone with a guy named Clay who bought the "problem" 1100T with a Big Chute kit on . There was one very vocal member of this forum complaining that the sled didn't run right, etc and was happy to get rid of the sled. This is also the forum member who never contacted EVO to ask for help. Apparently the turbocharger was barely hanging onto the header and the gasket between the header and turbo was completely gone - probably went through the turbine wheel (this might account for the inconsistent performance and the making good power for only short distances and then falling flat on its face lol) Its hard to make boost when the exhaust gases are busy burning through the exhaust gasket.

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Just another sign that shows while the turbo kits are bolt on kits the installer needs to be meticulous about the process. There are some aspects of the kit that a novice mechanic may struggle with. If you need it installed look to one of Evolution Powersports install centers. If your in the Midwest o Dakotas look to Evolved Customs. Out west there are a number of great dealers carrying the kit and in Canada as well. The presence of these companies are easily seen on the forum as a helping hand as experts on Evolution Powersports product.

Glad to hear that it sounds like the new owner found the smoking gun. Literally. Wow must have been some heat in that area.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I just got off the phone with a guy named Clay who bought the "problem" 1100T with a Big Chute kit on . There was one very vocal member of this forum complaining that the sled didn't run right, etc and was happy to get rid of the sled. This is also the forum member who never contacted EVO to ask for help. Apparently the turbocharger was barely hanging onto the header and the gasket between the header and turbo was completely gone - probably went through the turbine wheel (this might account for the inconsistent performance and the making good power for only short distances and then falling flat on its face lol) Its hard to make boost when the exhaust gases are busy burning through the exhaust gasket.
Might be worth Clay's time to check the head stud installation too. Sounds like the installer shouldn't be near anything sharper then a pillow...

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Well at least it all makes sense now because the s%@t talking that went on about how the sled sucked and the Evo parts under performed was all too strange to those of us that know first hand how they work.

Any product is only as good as the install as we all know.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Might be worth Clay's time to check the head stud installation too. Sounds like the installer shouldn't be near anything sharper then a pillow...

Yes, he is tearing into the motor this weekend to verify whether the sled has head studs or not. I would be willing to bet my left nut that either there are no head studs or they are installed incorrectly.

He also thinks the head gasket may be blown.

The PTO side motor mount was broken as well.

Antifreeze in the oil too....

Pictures coming soon

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
part of this blame has got to go to the guys always posting this or that is a piece of cake i did mine in an hour. quality work takes time. maybe he installed it in a hour:) if your not mechanically inclined you probably should leave the bigger stuff to the pro's...

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
part of this blame has got to go to the guys always posting this or that is a piece of cake i did mine in an hour. quality work takes time. maybe he installed it in a hour:) if your not mechanically inclined you probably should leave the bigger stuff to the pro's...

It is not that some are not mechanically inclinded. They likely are. But just like you pointed out, installing performance parts whether 2 stroke or 4 the difference is the eye for detail. Some do not have that eye for the details. The installation of performance parts is not something to be rushed.

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming

HCM??

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Yes, he is tearing into the motor this weekend to verify whether the sled has head studs or not. I would be willing to bet my left nut that either there are no head studs or they are installed incorrectly.

He also thinks the head gasket may be blown.

The PTO side motor mount was broken as well.

Antifreeze in the oil too....

Pictures coming soon

Ill see your left nut and raise you two of JustBoostIt's.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
This is an awesome thread.
A MFG calling out a prior customer... this should be fun.:face-icon-small-hap
IMO, not a bad deal, there are a LOT of times i see guys just straight flogging a MFG, come to find out, it was the users fault, but that kinda gets kicked under the rug.

people need to be looking for solutions, not just bad mouthing the biggest bill on there mod list.

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY

It's not that hard .....righty tighty lefty loosy. The only part that took some attention to detail was the head studs. The rest was un bolting and re bolting.

Premium Features