• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 snopro speedo out.......only the speedo

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Before I get barked at I did search and it seems like this is a common one but I still can't find a good answer. And the layout I'm looking at on the parts fiche doesn't exactly lay it out very clearly. Sounds like pulling the DD causes it sometimes, which I DID do before this last ride.

The kicker though is that it DID work the first half of the day, just not on the way back. Looks like the speedo sensor assembly/wire deal goes in by the brake. I had a long socket near the thing to pull the DD but it's not like I was mauling the thing. Everything else on the display works.....altitude, rpm, max history etc.......just no speedometer and not ticking off the last few miles down a groomer. No warning codes or anything.

What's up? And more to the point, what's the layout of that sensor setup? Is it a sensor on a wire that goes in through the brake and picks up something in the DD?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Did your fuse blow? Check your sled for a shorted wire first. The taillight is the most common place, either near the back or under the tank. But you should be able to put in a new fuse if its broken and then it should start up, if you have a short somewhere it will likly stop working again without a few minutes but that will tell you, you have a short somewhere likly either the taillight of the DD since you just pulled it.

B
Mar 23, 2008
Vancouver Washington
sensor

Mine did same thing a couple weeks ago and it was the sensor by the brake.Found new one off ebay for $31 bucks and fixed my problem.Not saying it's your sensor but probably is if it's not a fuse.
Again mine acted just like yours then finally kicked over.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I've chased down a tail light ground on a buddy's 2008 M8 but that one had the fuse out in the open. Where's the one on a 2010 SP? Can't find it on the parts microfiche thing.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Things I've learned:
There's definitely no fuse on this thing like the older ones. And the speedo sensor reads off the brake, not the dd. I was able to get it to work intermittently just by jiggling the sensor wires so I probably just need a new one. I may have bumped it getting to the dd bolt through the drive shaft and it was just ready to go anyway.

Reading a bunch of old posts about splitting wires by messing with the DD got me nervous. The 2010 setup is a lot more straightforward.

Thanks for the replies guys!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Search function JONG! Pics of your sister's... oops, wrong forum:lol:
(for you humorless douches who think I'm being mean, and don't get it... HE does, so it'll be ok:face-icon-small-win)

There are actually 3 fuses on the 2010 instead of one on the 2007 era sleds, they're in a housing with a blue cap if I recall, by the CCU. It uses 3 of the little mini blade fuses now instead of one normal sized one.

Unless I'm the JONG & the fuse blocks on my sleds are part of the turbo setups I've had...

I haven't really worked on a stock 2010+ in a while.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I don't have any pics of my sister but I do have lots of yours. Wanna see them? :D

You might be right about the fuses but I sure as shlt couldn't find them. I searched the word 'fuse' on the parts catalog and got nuthin.

It worked for a little while yesterday banging on some whoops. I fiddled around with the sensor itself trying to see if there's anything I could have done pulling the dd. Started up the sled and it worked for a few miles......and then didn't. So I'm pretty sure it's just a crap connection.

Hey any of your CO shops sitting on any holdover 2011s? The skiing sucks here this year so I've managed to put a whole lot of miles on my sled this year. Need to trade out while it still has some value.

Last edited:

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
Things I've learned:
There's definitely no fuse on this thing like the older ones. And the speedo sensor reads off the brake, not the dd. I was able to get it to work intermittently just by jiggling the sensor wires so I probably just need a new one. I may have bumped it getting to the dd bolt through the drive shaft and it was just ready to go anyway.

Reading a bunch of old posts about splitting wires by messing with the DD got me nervous. The 2010 setup is a lot more straightforward.

Thanks for the replies guys!

No fuses in the speedo sensor circuit. It has nothing in common with the brakes or DD. The sensor just magnetically looks for the four tangs on the drive shaft nut. If you hit the sensor mount and got it too far away from that nut, that could affect it. You might unplug it clean the connector, lube it, and put it back together. Coincidently, The problem could also be in one of the other connectors....hood, and speedo. Trying a different sensor would probably be the easiest.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Derp, I thought you meant just the gauge at first.

Like Mike said, I've removed them cleaned them & replaced & had them work again.

that sensor is a bit flakey, but it's usually pretty easy to get back on track.

W
Jan 28, 2010
Kalispell, MT
I lost the speedo on my '07 M1000 - somehow the four-tang nut that holds the brake rotor on the shaft had worked its way loose and was resting in my belly pan. Nothing going by the sensor, no sensing. Sounds like you've just got a wiggy connection though if it worked a little on another ride. Let us know what you find!

Premium Features