• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoScoot Long Track mod

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
I'll be bending a tunnel out of aluminum with a lift handle for sure. I'm thinking of building a bracket and dropping the tunnel a little closer to the track than the really steep angles I've seen. Similar to the bracket under the new Polaris mtn sleds.

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
test ride

mph about 20 at 8000 ft.
boggy on top end.
that 3 times better than the 120
goes preaty d#m good for an 80cc motor.
look at clutches next.

speed report you guyes.
we have 1 plus inches snow and good base

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Parts... now that is the funny part.

I rummaged through my scrap metal pile and found most everything. It picks up real easy from the rear to scoot the thing around or I imagine to get it unstuck. I'm optimistic that it will handle deep enough snow now to get stuck. Maybe next weekend as the weatherman is doling out promises for this storm.

I may trim up the front of the cover a bit to clean it up, but first I want to run it to see if I would be jeopardizing any strength by doing so.

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
scoot

what did you use for the ski skins.
i noticed it like to push snow with the front end.
im looking at some thing to help like a plastic front end protector.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The ski skins were off a '94 XLT that I had after replacing with plastic skis. They fit from the front back, cut off the excess behind the Scoot ski. Those fancy aftermarket plastic skis would be nice, but on a budget build, these will hopefully work. I haven't tightened the limiter strap up real tight yet so that the very back of the track doesn't touch on hard pack.

I had totaled a '99 off a trailer one fine morning on the way to ride. I ended up parting out the sled and had the belly pan left. I donated that to the Scoot owner and he cut it to fit the front end. Surprisingly, it matched the contours pretty well and tucks back up under the front A-arms at the right spot. It helps a bunch to keep the snow clods from getting crammed into the front frame work. When I look at other Scoots I always am thinking "what is missing" until I realize they did not come with anything in the front.

I would think you could heat and bend a skid plate off a larger sled and then trim to fit.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I think you are just saying you can't keep up with him now, but trying to make it his fault! :face-icon-small-hap

Thanks for the update. We are getting hammered right now, so I think Saturday looks like our day to try it out.

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
Test ride

How were things like track to ground and skis on ground.
Were did u put front limiter strap length ?
Ours went every were with my 19 year old son on it
Did u put new drive belt on
Found note in my owner manuel were some one wrote 92.5 jets for high altitude

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
I may have to look into that jet. I didn't see it was offered by Yamaha as an option, but it might be worth trying. I did try a hotter spark plug, because the previous plug was pretty dark, and wet. the new plug (BR7HS) is a nice golden brown, but it will likely change with the jetting. I think I've got a carb issue, because on take off, a few times we had to raise the choke lever to get it to go, or it would stall. I think there's a jet clogged. The limiter strap is set so the track is flat on the ground. The C&A skis are night and day better than stock. floated in powder, and didn't feel like the track was pushing it around. Steering effort was very minimal, and seemed pretty easy to maneuver. My 9 year olds only complaint was his thumb was tired from pushing the throttle. Turns out that thumb muscles don't gain much strength from playing video games, so I guess we'll have to get him out on it a little more often... Haha!

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
carb

choke on to get to rev up is low end jet pluged with crap.
or if all the time lean out.
when you have the carb off clean the tank and fuel pump
on my yamaha i have cleaned jets then have it plug again .
i will put rag in tank cap hole and blow air through with compressor to clean out lines and fuel pump.

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
Yeah, it runs great once you get it past 1/4 throttle, so I suspect the pilot jet is plugged. I put a new fuel filter on it, but didn't blow out the lines. I'll do that this go around. I'm also going to adjust the jetting per the manual. The manual said at 6000-8000' it should have a 65 pilot and a 100 main jet. I'm going to try that as a good starting point and see how it runs. Still curious about the clutching though...

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Did you install the high elevation weights?

I did, but will only be running from 3000-5000'. I figured with the bigger track that running with more rpms' probably wouldn't hurt anything.

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
Clutch

SamicK said he only put 5 of the 6 rollers in and help some.
He is going to try and post some clutch mods tonight.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Had the scoot out last weekend. Close to knee deep powdery snow and it worked great. The rear track cover kept the snow off the rest of the sled real well and the lift handle was very welcome.

I do need to do a carb job as the needle must not be shutting off fuel because it will flood out when you shut it off. We would reach back and kill the fuel then let it idle for a little bit. I also had a bogging issue right off idle but I think this was from too much fuel being pumped through the carb into the motor. Once the rpm's got back up and burnt the fuel out it ran pretty good. Granted, that was with a 240# rider.

I ended up choking the limiter strap up so the rails sat evenly on the floor. With a little slack, the front end would lift just enough so the kids could hardly get it to steer.

I can't say that I would do anything different now that I have run it a little bit.

Premium Features