• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Suspension mounting location of 13's

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Belts

Better yet what kind of belts are you guys running? Belts belts belts belts belts belts belts belts belts belts Belts belts belts Belts Belts Belts Belts Belts THIS WAS A THREAD ABOUT SUSPENSION LOCATION.

Last edited:
C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Yeah, what is the hole 1/2 inch back, and can I drill a hole 5/8 inch lower?

And in case anyones wondering, no belt issues and runnin' Cat APV.:face-icon-small-ton

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
the late build 2012 Retros have both set of mounting holes in the front

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Dropping the front 3/4" helps the sled get up on the snow better. It pops up and doesn't saw through. We have moved several of them with great results.

For us guys with the 2 holes in the front already (bolted in forward one right now) would i jus go straight down from that front hole then move the rear one to the lower hole??

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Been running this all season (which has been about a month long)and it changes the characteristics of the sled tremendously, much easier sidehilling, less trenching and more predictable handling on the bumps and trails. Switched it back and fourth a couple of times and by far this change is a big deal and I will not be returning mine to the original mounting position.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Anyone that has anything to do with cat sells should do what Geo said, Just dumb not to. Then thank him for doing someone elses job.
One reason I went with the full kmod, because it comes with Ice Age rails, that way you get a better arc in the front for lowering the front of the skid.
They should take our ideas more often and looking at the video they already started with the spindle remount, Wish they would have done more. (ie a new bell swing)
The vert steering for the m11 is exactly what I told many people I would do, in fact I have a steering wheel knuckle (u-joint) out of a 99 cavalier sitting here that I used for reference, looks almost the same.
So When are they going to realize some of us already did the R&D and take it for granted. Please!

Last edited:

GBrown

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Been running this all season (which has been about a month long)and it changes the characteristics of the sled tremendously, much easier sidehilling, less trenching and more predictable handling on the bumps and trails. Switched it back and fourth a couple of times and by far this change is a big deal and I will not be returning mine to the original mounting position.

Did you drop both the front and rear or only the front?

A
Jan 31, 2010
libby, montana
are you going to have to run an antistab kit, my 162 in stock location i have to run my track really tight to keep it from clicking off the rail tips in the heavy wet snow we have know (or maybe i have another problem)

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Am running an anti stab kit. May want to try and run a looser track tension just about to where it is slipping

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Interesting ........ they probably prepped "Harvey" and said " whatever you do don't ask how or if we have fixed the belt issues" ! They got the oil fill neck figured out though by-god. Avoid the issue......classic. I want a 2013 , but they have to show me the fixes for the belt concerns.

Hilly:

Have a little look-see at this........ This should help with your question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBfYBHQ59jA

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Am running an anti stab kit. May want to try and run a looser track tension just about to where it is slipping

Except that you eat the track on the heat exchanger on HCR if you run it loose.

I wonder if AC knows that?

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
are you going to have to run an antistab kit, my 162 in stock location i have to run my track really tight to keep it from clicking off the rail tips in the heavy wet snow we have know (or maybe i have another problem)

I'm with arcticattach, if you move the skid down 5/8-3/4" front and back you are going to be into the trackline (between drivers and rail bend) meaning you absolutely need antistab. The only way around it is to suck up the limiter strap quite a bit which defeats the purpose of the relocate.

Wow, 5/8" move of the whole skid without changing driver location is a huge change! Should be interesting to see how long it takes before guys start complaning of stabbed tracks more than blown belts.

OTM

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Except that you eat the track on the heat exchanger on HCR if you run it loose.

I wonder if AC knows that?

Ya and it really does eat the exchanger if you have screws installed. Haven't had an issue on mine of course I am not running screws in my track. Have run it relatively loose and an anti-stab kit and so far its been pretty good.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
All it will take is a better curve on the front of the rails. AC still has flatland rails designed for a suspention that is fully coupled. For hill climbers and turbos that is good but sometimes for boondocking with a 125HP machine it is nice to be less coupled.

If I knew (and I'm sure AC doesn't yet know) what was really coming in 2013 I would wait and order what they install for rails and new front arm it would need to be done correctly. But I think I`ll just build.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
All it will take is a better curve on the front of the rails. AC still has flatland rails designed for a suspention that is fully coupled. For hill climbers and turbos that is good but sometimes for boondocking with a 125HP machine it is nice to be less coupled.

If I knew (and I'm sure AC doesn't yet know) what was really coming in 2013 I would wait and order what they install for rails and new front arm it would need to be done correctly. But I think I`ll just build.

Kmod sold me Ice age rails last year for $375, well worth it just to have the better arc IMO.

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Fort St. John, British Columbia
So there's two holes in the rear mount location of my M800 retro. Should I use the top or bottom hole with my 156" 2.5" CE?

32412889-c85f-0f46.jpg

The front on mine also only has one hole. Is it safe to drill another, or?

32412889-c7be-7813.jpg

C

CHAOS RACING

Mar 5, 2012
North East
Yeah, what is the hole 1/2 inch back, and can I drill a hole 5/8 inch lower?

And in case anyones wondering, no belt issues and runnin' Cat APV.:face-icon-small-ton

Anyone know what the holes a 1/2" back are for? I'm new to the back country world coming off a trail burner. Thanks for all the info. Going to run an anti stab and lower the skid for sure though,this thing trenches like crazy.
How does the Kmod work, what will i notice different from the stock skid?

Premium Features