• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

roll over a four stroke?

S
Sep 16, 2010
It should be the same as rolling over one of the Yamahas. You sometimes have to wait a moment for the oil to drain back to where it supposed to be.

The yamahas (especially the apex) are such pigs, by the time they get righted you need a break anyway!

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
Doubt you want to intentionally roll any sled over with it running anyway. No problems rolling them over with it turned off.

Why is that? Iv gotten myself unstuck many times that way. Some times in under 30 seconds. And iv left it upside down for a couple minutes while it was running. Was showing off the efi to some of my buddies inferior carbs.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
No worries for a 2 stroke motor to have it running upside down. The reason I wouldnt reccomend it is I did it once on a fairly steep hill and as I rolled it I got some snow in the throttle and pinned it open. Sled hit up right and it was all I could do to grab it and get the kill button before she was gone bye bye. I agree that there is no better way to get a sled unstuck but a running sled rolling over the throttle has potential for disaster.

As for weather a 4 stroke motor can run upside down I am unsure. I know on my sport bike the use a tip over sensor so if the bike goes too far on its side it shuts down before having any problems. Assume a sled motor would be very similar.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
you should not have a 4 stroke upside down with it running. the dry sump is good but not that good. If the pickup in the dry sump sucks air it will be very hard on the motor. My suggestion is have a tether and where it when riding a 4 stroke for sure!

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
Most of the new four strokes have roll over switches, but it won't matter, as soon the fuel pick up comes out of the fuel, the engine will shut off. Even though it is a dry sump motor you can damage the motor by by it running it upside down. Shut it off, roll it over, turn the key and start it up, it doesn't get any simpler.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I blew my TApex motor up with the sled upside down with the throttle pinned! If you are going to ride a four stroke have a tether!

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I rolled a Yamaha Phazer on a hill and it was upside down pointing downhill. It started leaking out engine oil through the breather on the motor. You can roll them, just be quick about it, and let the oil drain back from the drive train to where it is supposed to be.

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
I am curious to see how this plays out over the next year, we had 2 different days of a trip one year impacted by a Phazer mountain lite that got dumped over running for a short bit and it puked all its oil out. Hopefully they found a way to keep this same thing from happening on these.

T
Mar 14, 2011
Rolled a Nytro MTX last year in Utah, I rolled about 10 ft down the hill. The damn thing puked oil like the deepwater horizon, ruined my day. I will never buy a 4 stroke.

IMG_2434.JPG

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
Rolled a Nytro MTX last year in Utah, I rolled about 10 ft down the hill. The damn thing puked oil like the deepwater horizon, ruined my day. I will never buy a 4 stroke.

IMG_2434.JPG

Well of course your oil is going to run out if you leave it on its top long enough to get the camera out and shoot some photo's of it laying like that.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
If you have a tether it won't puke all of the oil out. It will puke some, probably a quart at most I would imagine. The phazer I rolled was upside down for 5 minutes and leaked about half a quart. I'll have the tether on mine, and I'll have a spare quart with, and I won't have any ruined days. In any case, I'd rather leak oil a couple times a year tham deal with massive engine failure every 2500 miles.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Yamahas (maybe just Nytro's) cannot be left on their back...the oil system is a grafivty feed system, and will drain out quickly, there is a fix (Jacobsen Roll-over valve) I dont know enough yet on the ProClimb if it will be an issue or not...

Maybe someone who knows can share...Will it leak out if on its back? Does it have a different system?

onepicknick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I have a Nytro and the dealer installed a tether with something he said shuts something off when it's rolled over so you don't lose any oil. I rolled it this weekend and she still leaked but they do have something now.

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
Why is that? Iv gotten myself unstuck many times that way. Some times in under 30 seconds. And iv left it upside down for a couple minutes while it was running. Was showing off the efi to some of my buddies inferior carbs.

if you've seen a 153 spinning at 70mph 3 inchs from your head.....you wont do that again....its is some scary chit let me tell ya....leg was pinned under the seat, the rubber was up, not down. spring snow pushed the throttle open. took me 15 seconds to get to the kill.....scariest 15 seconds of my life. buy a teather

1RMDave

Aug 23, 2010
my fst has a roll over switch, shuts off everytime I roll it. Also has a dry sump, never lost a drop.

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
Initially my question was if the engine was shut off and roll over to get unstuck. I will be getting a tether now thanks to some of the responses.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I had never thought about rolling a sled over while it was running, until last week. I left it running to roll it over for the first time, pinned the throttle WOT while on its back. It was pretty scary for a minute until I got it turned off. The track spinning that fast right in front of your face while you got your hands in there trying to roll it was a little startling.

Premium Features