• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

wot cut out fix??

B
Nov 19, 2008
my pro will cut out at full throttle. it will run 8200 rpm then cut down to 6500 rpm then back up to 8200 it does this all the time and me or my dealer cant find a fix its getting really frustrating.. can any one help???

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
what elevations, what mods if any..and how many miles and what weights/springs/helix?..have you inspected the wiring harness with a fine tooth comb for rubs..(many documented cases of rub throughs on the pro harness)..and..is it clutched a little light weight wise(say the spec sheet calls for 62's for 6-8000 ft. and you ride 5500 ft. and run 62's? if so it will cause the sled to hit the limiter and bog...even though you dont see it on the digital tach.....If it was my sled..I would pull the sides, hood and console, and do a complete check over of the wiring...i would then try adding 2 gram heavier weights..then ..check belt deflection..then ride it and see what it does....just my thoughts....

K
Nov 26, 2007
Canada
I don't mean to steal the tread but for me its like someone pulls a plug wire and then falls on its face untill I back off and pump the throtle then I can pin it and it runs fine until it happens again

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I don't mean to steal the tread but for me its like someone pulls a plug wire and then falls on its face untill I back off and pump the throtle then I can pin it and it runs fine until it happens again
add clutch weight..sounds like its hitting the rev limiter...its an easy fix if thats what it is.........have spent quite a bit of time the last couple weeks playing with clutching..and when I got too light on weight thats exactly what it did...looking at the display it never registered over 8200 rpm..but simple adding 2 grams to the weights stopped it on the spot...

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
spark plug caps, fuel injectors, rubbed wires, powervalve gaskets, seem to be the most commons issues.

the 6500 has got me thinking, mine blew a powervalve base gasket, at first would still give a full pull and then down to almost exactly 6500 and then back up. by the time got to the fix was down to only pulling 7200-7400 and then down to 6500 everytime. wondering if the dump for the powervavles shuts off at 6500, or if this is the point the powervalves remain closed till. this would make sense that the bog is when the powervalves should be open and for some reason the computer opens the dump valve and closes the powervalves until it hits 6500 and then closes the dump valve and then the valves can build pressure to open again??????

i replaced both powervalve basegaskets and fuel injectors at the same time so not positive which actually solved my bog. would check the powervalve base gaskets for any kind of oil contamination and check the bolts for tightness. also the fuel injector wiring from the right injector to the left likes to rub on the fuel rail/fuel rail mounting bolt and cause a bog...

F

freerideordie

Dec 24, 2007
B.C.
ive found a spot that the pto injector wire harness rubs, this was causing a bad bog... its rubbing on the fuel rail on the mag. side

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Anyone who has played with clutching, please ad your findings! I have the bog-bug as well and it is really messing up the ride...

Like AK is writing, rev limiter on 8500 might be acting up + I suspect the ecu of not being able to handle some of the input combos (temps, revs, throttle position etc).

Wanted to add weight but from 66 to 71 gr seemed a bit hard. Only option I had was another spring, 140-320, hoping the softer end # would let the 66gr weights squeeze more. Nope.

Seemed like the harder initial pressure would amplify the quick revving that's going on.

Will check toolbox at work tomorrow for some 69's to try.

Last, I ride LOW elevation, below 3000ft mostly, and it's a 155. I weigh 180 + gear.

Really p!sses me off that it wont run properly when people were having such a blast last winter on the "thousands of miles" proto-rides..

RS

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
here is another potential fix for some...this one is courtesy of trinity taz on another forum.......

My Polaris Pro has ran awesome for 600 miles. Yesterday as I was coming downhill with the sled leaning hard to the left it suddenly died. I restarted it and it immediately died again. Pull ,pull, pull, nothing. At best it would fire and die within a second or less. After checking all electrical plugins and fuel, oil and coolant levels, pulled the sled to a level spot and it fired right up. Now, every time I lean it hard to the left while going downhill, it sputters and tries to die until I get it back up to level.
Anyone else having this issue? I think it has something to do with a fluid level, but with the oil and antifreeze being topped off just before the ride, how is that?

and what he found that fixed the issue..............

I found the problem, so check yours to make sure it dosent happen to you.
The oil reservoir is attached to the top of the belt guard, but is allowed to flop to the hard left. On the back of the oil reservoir is the ecm electronics, the wiring to which is attached with zip-ties to the triframe member. When the oil reservior flops, it wiggles the attachment to the ecm and causes connection loss.
The fix: Tie the oil reservoir to the frame with a long zip tie tight enough that you cannot wiggle it with reasonable effort. My probs are over.

hope this helps someone else......

This issue could also be causing the bog or intermittent miss some are experiencing.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Anyone who has played with clutching, please ad your findings! I have the bog-bug as well and it is really messing up the ride...

Like AK is writing, rev limiter on 8500 might be acting up + I suspect the ecu of not being able to handle some of the input combos (temps, revs, throttle position etc).

Wanted to add weight but from 66 to 71 gr seemed a bit hard. Only option I had was another spring, 140-320, hoping the softer end # would let the 66gr weights squeeze more. Nope.

Seemed like the harder initial pressure would amplify the quick revving that's going on.

Will check toolbox at work tomorrow for some 69's to try.

Last, I ride LOW elevation, below 3000ft mostly, and it's a 155. I weigh 180 + gear.

Really p!sses me off that it wont run properly when people were having such a blast last winter on the "thousands of miles" proto-rides..

RS
RS, if you cant find another set of weights...grind down the back side of your 71's..mostly on the tip end...on a gram scale I would take them down to 69 grams and try..the extra weight in the heel/belly area should load the bottom/mid range better(which they need anyway) and the light tip should keep your rpms up on a steep/deep climb...it might take a few tries grinding them but might work good for you..

R
Dec 14, 2010
I've been out sleddin this weekend. Had alot of bog problems.

Is this what you guys are talking about ?

http://www.vimeo.com/19095167

Happened alot more, but didn't get it on tape.

What do you guys think about this ?

I first thought that the exhaust got plugged, seemed to happen mostly when laying it down to the right, but as you see in the clip it did happen going to the left too..

Last edited:

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
cut out

did you get the cut out fixed? i have a sled doing the same thing looked at everthing did not try injectors yet it must be the injectors

W

wyodragon

Dec 8, 2009
WOT bog gone

I have had the bog ,cut out and I have tried about everything. Dealer in Saratoga told me to try going back to the ethanol plug . I rode the snowies for two days and never had a stumble at all. Now I am wondering if there is an issue with the 91 octane plug?? I am going to try to get a dealer to get me a new plug. I want to run 91 octane and get the max performance with the stock setup. Anybody have any thoughts on these plugs?? How does it work,can it be tested off the machine?

R

redink420

Feb 6, 2009
I am going to switch to 87 octane next ride out. I tried 89 last time and it seemed better. I am begining to wonder how long the 91 sits underground these days. Very few auto manufactures, if any, recommend 91 anymore and with the way the economy has been I am guessing the quality of the 87 is probably better than the 91 that just sits there for days. I think I will try and ask a station what kind of turn ratios they have on each.

S
Dec 14, 2010
my pro has had the bog since day one! its done it with either 87 or 91 octane . I've checked the wiring head to toe, i think the exhaust valves warrant my next step,but sure am starting to lean towards injectors... Anyone have the FORSURE solution?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I have to agree with AKSNOWRIDER my sleds middle to WOT bog was the rev limiter. Changed to heavier weights bog never came back.
I think with the stock clutching they need less initial on the sec spring..maybe even the primary spring or more initial angle on the helix to load the motor more, same with the top end..this sled catches R's quick when ever the track gets unloaded..pushing it into the limiter...my sled ran flawless until I messed with the clutching..immediately got it into both mid-range and wot bogs..soon as I put weight back to it..it stopped...slowly removing weight gotme right to the limit(in this case 8300) and when it unloads the track..it hits the limiter and bogs..guage doesnt show it..but the record function does....(it showed 8450 at the bog point, so even the recorder is having a hard time keeping up with it...)..adding 1 gram back to the tip of the mtx's brought it down to 8200-8250 and the bog is gone....

boondocker rick

Premium Member
Aug 30, 2010
eagle river WI
I'm running low elevaion as well [2011 assult rmk] I have 10-68, helix 64-46, secondary spring red w/ black this loads the motor much better for me. it was reving way to fast with stock chart set up. and hitting the rev limmiter. pulls hard. [i just wish it had the power of the new e-teck] hope this helps.

Premium Features