• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 RMK 900 high oil consumption.

M

mike1971

Nov 28, 2008
Vernon B.C.
I have a 2005 RMK 900 that goes throught more than half a tank of oil per ride, about 3/4 tank of gas.
I have the fat boy frenche cable, and the oil pump is set right, thought it was the pump and replaced it with a good used one from ebay but I still have the same problem.
Do the 900 oil pumps wear out?, could I have two bad pumps in a roe?
My buddy has the same sled as me with more milage and he only uses about 1/4 tank of oil for the same ride.(we rode together and compaired after the ride,)
Has any one come across this one before?

Mike.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Wow, that's a lot of oil :eek:

If you fill the tank and let it sit does the level of oil go down? This would indicate a bad center crank seal (the upper hose coming off your oil tank fills the center cavity in an oil-bath) If that is the case then you would be using about 1/4 tank there and then 1/4 tank through the injection system through the course of the ride would equal your half tank estimate.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
What you have to watch for on the 900's is the oil pump lever will stick forward or in the on position when warmed up sometimes. even with the fbf cable i have had 3 do this there is a pic floating around of a modification to the return spring on the pump that stiffens the return spring, cut off about half a coil. or add another return spring that is what i have done for now. i also had the center crank seals go out on my 05 and it would use oil even when not running and smoke like heck after the first start after it had been sitting for a few days.

B
Jan 28, 2010
Ogden, UT
I'm still a little confused on the oil reservoir on these 900's. Am I suppose to fill it to the very top each time I ride or should I never fill it to the top?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I fill it to the top every time. In theory, if your center seals are good, it will hold the oil without leaking and then your fine to run it till the light comes on if you are so inclined. If your seals are bad though, you do NOT want to take the risk of running the oil/water pump cross-shaft without oil... same effect as running your truck engine without oil as there are metal on metal parts moving around in there.

Also, Biggdawg pointed out another likely cause and one that can be checked/eliminated easily also.... definitely give that a look.

Oil bath Cross-shaft

100_3054.jpg

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Still better than having a cheap little water pump belt behind the recoil lol!
A helper spring of some sort on the oiler arm is a must in my opinion, FBF cable or not.
Its very easy to diagnose the center seals as has been mentioned... Consumption above the cross-shaft lube hose on the bottle will be high, once the level gets below that hose on the bottle (aprox 3/4 tank) the consumption will return to normal.

Here's how I set up my helper spring. I started with a pull type spring like many others, but it added alot of extra tension at the throttle lever... so I took a spring out of a clicker pen, stretched it a bit and installed it inline between the oiler cable sheath and oiler arm. Has worked perfectly for 4 years.
PICT0298-1.jpg

M

mike1971

Nov 28, 2008
Vernon B.C.
I can fill my oil tank and let it sit without any oil loss, it`s only whenit running that it seems to go through oil.
With my first oil pump the lever would stick open when running, the replacment pump is good and dose not stick,(I check it every so often)
Can the oil move through the crank seals while the engine is running?, maybe this is where my oil is going.
Mike.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I can fill my oil tank and let it sit without any oil loss, it`s only whenit running that it seems to go through oil.
With my first oil pump the lever would stick open when running, the replacment pump is good and dose not stick,(I check it every so often)
Can the oil move through the crank seals while the engine is running?, maybe this is where my oil is going.
Mike.

yes it is possible with the vacuum on the crankcase. you need to see if the oil consumption goes down once the oil level gets below the feed tube to the oil pump drive cavity.

M

mike1971

Nov 28, 2008
Vernon B.C.
Thanks for the info you guys,
Now I take it the crank seals are 1 piece and the crank needs to come apart to replace them?
Time for the updated crank.?

P
Feb 22, 2009
check out my posting..."900 running ritch" sounds like you and i are the lucky ones who have the same problem currently. Possible centre crank seals. Let me know if you get a cost estimate

Premium Features