• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Bang for the buck GPS....

B

BDADDY

Dec 15, 2008
Mantorville MN
I'm sure it's beeen talked about before but I'm looking for as the thread title implies the best bang for the buck on a gps/2w maybe with topo softwear. Lets hear your opinion or recomondation. Thanks

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I swear by the Garmin 60 Csx. It has electronic breadcrumbs so you can save your track that get you to the good powder and upload them to your computer for viewing on bigger topographical maps. You do need to get the additional topographical maps because it has no topo on it when you get it. it will still get you in and out but it is awsome to havge the topo lines of elevation to scout new spots and get your bearings.

Garmin is an awsome company and will fix the unit if you break it for cheap or free. My friend is on his 2rd unit and he only paid for the last one. The unit is super tough as well. I have ridden in the rain with my bike in the mud for hour and taken many crashes in the rocks with my bike and never did major damage to it. I broke the tips off a couple buttons but it still borked fine. My dog even chewed it up once and it still kept working. I had to tape the antenna up to keep water out after the dog at it but it kept on working until I forgot to put and extra zip tie on it on a dirt bike ride and it fell off. I replaced it with the Astro which is same unit but comes with a dog colar for tracking dogs, or anything else you want to strap the collar to.

Mine originally cost $450 plus the software so they are a real bargain now that the price is below $300.

http://catalog.ebay.com/Garmin-GPSM...3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A4585&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Its depends on how much money you want to spend and what features you need. I would stick to a garmin for the ease of use with google earth and sharing tracks as it seems most poeple use garmin. You should check out garmins website and you can compare different models, also check out there new feature BirdsEye Satellite Imagery. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it looks pretty cool for backcountry riding.

$100-200 - basic garmin etrex model if you dont need BirdsEye
$150-200 - Dakota 10 has BirdsEye and I've seen them on sale for $150
$300 & up - Oregon series has BirdsEye and alot more features
or GPSMAP models if you dont want a touchscreen.

Last edited:
S

Skippyspad

Dec 18, 2009
Loveland, CO
don't know if you can still find them, but my Garmin Coloardo 400T is Awsome. topo maps already on it and I can make maps using google earth pretty easy.

heavy_haul

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Meridian, Id
I must be semi old school.. I have the Garmin Rino 130. Have taken it to Iraq and back to Idaho. Bought it in 04 and still have it. Am sure it is old school equipment now, but still works and has 2way radio as well. Paid 350.00 for it and have gotten my money worth out of it.

GPS's are similar to the Avy beacons, in the fact that there is more than one brand the prices are as vast as the models. If you are thinking about getting a GPS unit you need to do your research. What are you wanting to be able to do with the unit and how much are you willing to spend? This is really what it comes down to. Garmin is good for being able to pull locations from other garmin units, so you can locate your riding party if you get split up. Not sure what the distance is on that feature but you can research it when you are reasearching the various GPS models.

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
basspro shop has the 60csx and topo 100k on sale now for 219.00 this is your best value. as of 12-02 they still have plenty left

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Amazon has the gamin gpsmap 60 csx for 199.99 + free shipping. But this model doesn't have the BirdsEye satellite option if that is something you want.

J
Dec 21, 2010
Garmin Rino 530

One of the guys that posted earlier mentioned that he had used a 130 model and gotten some great use out of it. I would have to agree that these rinos are the best you can get, especially when you talk about sledding, hunting, dirt bikes and other thing where keeping track of you AND YOUR BUDDY are pretty important. Why the 530:

They combine a lot of things into one unit. A 5 watt radio for calling your friends (they can use any "motorola style" unit or another rino).

They are capable of uploading from CD (or just pop in a mini sd) topo maps from anywhere you want to travel.

A digital compass allows the unit or "orient" itself without the user having to move.

And the BIG ONE. If you friends have rinos (of any model) you can track each other on your unit anytime they key their mic. If you don't hear from them in a while and want to find them you can do it on your own from your unit using something called "polling".

Not to mention that the new high end units are $350 from Amazon or Walmart.com

Hope this helps

I have to agree with jiveturk, the garmin rino 530 series is the best bang for the buck.... not he cheapest bang for the buck but definitely the best:thumb:

And if you really shop around you can find them new for right around $300 just gotta watch the sales online:face-icon-small-sho

Premium Features