• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carbon Fiber Nytro Project

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Kevin
I like your chassis from the front of the tank back, the tunnel design looks very good. Could a Nytro front end be incorporated onto it? I wonder if there would be a need to add aluminum external drop brackets for an M10 or would there be enough support for that skid?

For me personally weight wouldn't be my main motivation for the chassis, I would like to have a 174 chassis that I could put my 174 M10 in with a 3" track and my Apex motor. I would like to use as many of the turbo parts I have but would be willing to change to an Alpine or Powderlites built header/downpipe/intercooler if room would be a problem for my midmount header. I would like to be able to use the Nytro stock front end. Aftermarket ones could be an option. The stock belt would be a must and would be nice to utilize a stock chaincase if possible?

Duke

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Its already been done diamond-s makes a titantium nytro chassis with a apex engine that weighs 6lbs more then a nytro. I cant find the thread yet but its under nypex

A

ACL C3

Aug 27, 2008
Salmon Arm B.C
www.c3powersports.com
Project Update

A 174 chassis is not a problem. With the carbon fiber, we can make it any length.

We will be modeling most of the chassis from the stock, so if your parts fit on a stock sled they should be able to fit on this chassis.

We may use the stock cooler or make something new like we did for the XP chassis. Our mechanical engineer will have a look and find the most efficient spot to mount it. We want the chassis to be able to handle most of the turbo's so we will have to test them out.

We like the rider forward design as we do a lot of mountain riding. We will most likely have a kit similar to our 3" post forward mod for the XP.

The price is not set yet, we are looking to get about 10 or more people with a down payment. We already have lots of interested people. These people will have more input into the design and features they need. So if your interested please give us a call at 250-833-3538.

Please keep following this thread, and give us your thoughts and opinions on what would make the best Yamaha Chassis.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
The biggest issue I see is you have to use the Nytro subframe and steering, not to mention a variation of Nytro front suspension built from Chromemolly or Ti. The coolers don't need to be stock, but you won't lose weight with aftermarket coolers. So to lose a 100 lbs, it would have to come from the stock bulkhead, tunnel, seat, side panels, and tank. Those items don't weigh a 100 lbs combined.
I think if someone was starting from scratch and wanted a 4 cyl motor and a 3 inch track, then this really make sense.

A

ACL C3

Aug 27, 2008
Salmon Arm B.C
www.c3powersports.com
Weight Savings

Thanks for the comments. A Ti front suspension would be another option to loose more pounds.

As for aftermarket coolers, we saved a few pounds on the XP chassis that we built. Every pound adds up in the end, which makes all the difference.

As for the weight savings, lets take a look at Ski-Doo. They claim to have one of the lightest chassis in the industry. The 2011 Summit Free Ride 800 XP with a 154" track has an official dry weight of 489lbs. Our latest sled build with our carbon fiber parts with a 162" track, Turbo and other aftermarket parts came in at 414 lbs with enough fluids in it to start it up. That's over a 75lbs weight savings from a stock 154" to a turbocharged 162".

For some pictures of our last sled build Click Here

So if we can squeeze 75lbs off the Ski-Doo, we should be able to save 100lbs when we put the Yamaha on our carbon fiber diet!

A

ACL C3

Aug 27, 2008
Salmon Arm B.C
www.c3powersports.com
Past Carbon Fiber Chassis

Here are a few pictures of our past Carbon Fiber Chassis

C3 Carbon Fiber M Chassis:

HPIM0316.jpg

PICT0052.jpg

C3 Carbon Fiber XP Chassis:

HPIM0900.jpg

HPIM0894.jpg

HPIM1313.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC05379.jpg

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
should be pretty sweet to see the end product!!! The nypex idea would open up a whole new group of people who want an updated chassis with a proven powerhouse that they have already made the investment in!

Scott from diamond S just built a 162 ti chassis nytro, oil, water and with 5 gallons of fuel tipped the scale at 456 lbs.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
should be pretty sweet to see the end product!!! The nypex idea would open up a whole new group of people who want an updated chassis with a proven powerhouse that they have already made the investment in!

Scott from diamond S just built a 162 ti chassis nytro, oil, water and with 5 gallons of fuel tipped the scale at 456 lbs.

Love to see some pics of that!!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I have to say the C3 stuff is pretty nice, BUT you guys need to get rid of that piece of chit seat ! Your doing a diservice to your work ! Sorry I hate to nit pick but that thing is fugly !

PS. If you get a Apex motor in a 2010 chasis you have a deposit !

M
Jan 14, 2004
I posted this on the Nytrex thread but it probably makes more sense to have it on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACL C3

We will probably make the geometry a little more forward as well.

If it were me I'd be careful about going too crazy on changing the Nytro geometry. From stock IMO the Nytro needs the bars a moved a few inches forward and put the steering column in a more straight up position. As far as the engine placement etc again IMO it's pretty well right where it needs to be. If the Apex motor was an option then a guy would have to be careful not to get the extra lbs of the 4 banger out over the skiis too much so that the sled doesn't feel front heavy. What are your ideas as far a the chaincase goes. Again IMO the Apex/Rx1/Vector chaincase would be the way to go rather than the molded in Nytro chaincase. These chaincases are easy to get and have proved top be pretty robust. If you guys pull this off I'm thinking seriously about selling my MCX Nytro and picking up a donor turbo Apex. I just can't seem to get over my preference for the 4 cylinder over the 3 banger.

M5

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
A 3" track will not fit into the stock chaincase, the c to c on a stock Yamaha chaincas is 7". You would need to use an extended chaincase like Split Second or Avid. My chaincase is dropped and rolled and I cant fit a 3" even if I go back to 7 tooth drivers.

M
Jan 14, 2004
A 3" track will not fit into the stock chaincase, the c to c on a stock Yamaha chaincas is 7". You would need to use an extended chaincase like Split Second or Avid. My chaincase is dropped and rolled and I cant fit a 3" even if I go back to 7 tooth drivers.

You're dead right on that. I would be happy with the 2.5" myself but for guys who want the 3" you would need a different case. Going with the 2.5 would help save a few bucks but by the time a guy gets one of these on the snow cost is going to be irrelevant anyways. LOL!!!

M5

A

ACL C3

Aug 27, 2008
Salmon Arm B.C
www.c3powersports.com
Nytro Update

From stock IMO the Nytro needs the bars a moved a few inches forward and put the steering column in a more straight up position

When I said that we may change the geometry to more rider forward, that is exactly what I meant. We will probably develop a post forward kit for the Nytro that moves the post about 3" forward that puts the steering column in a more straight up position. A straight post may be another option, but we will have to check it all out.

I would be happy with the 2.5" myself but for guys who want the 3" you would need a different case

This is another thing that we have been looking at. by changing a few thing around in our chassis we should be able to make the 3" work. We have also been thinking of using a belt drive system, similar to our SyncroDrive that should allow this to work, however it will be optional.

Thank you for your comments and keep the good ideas coming!

Here is a picture of our SyncroDrive on a Carbon Fiber Skidoo XP with a Arctic-Cat M8 Turbo

SyncroDriveXP.jpg

Last edited:
D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
The CF chassis would be awesome with the rider forward but then I'd be afraid to scratch it vs just extending my CR tunnel to 174. What happens when it rolls and damages the tail section, can it be repaired and still look good? And at what cost? Nice thing about a CR tunnel is I can just change the tail section for a few hundred. Needs to be able to handle some crashes. I would probably want the stock Nytro panels/hood etc on a CF sled, they seem to be pretty tough and much simpler to replace.

Premium Features