• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear suspension....to sag, or not to sag, that is the question?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I have believed for many years that it is best to have 2-3 " of sag in your rear suspension. The rational was that when you are in deep snow, and climbing, the suspension "falls out" all the way, or extends I guess, and when you hit a bumbs and whatnot, that the suspension did not react as violently, instead just softly absorbing some of the bumbs and keeping the front end of the sled down.

At first I really did not like the sag, but from my experience, it really does seem to help keep the front end down in deep, steep climbs.

Barkbuster recommends NO sag.

How about some different opinions and theories?

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
The believe the general rule for a motocross set is 30% of your travel use up with the rides weight included. If you are bottoming out you need more shock dampening. This is what I usually use, it is a matter of personal preference.

S
skidoo race manual used to say set the front arm suspension limiters so there was only 3-4" of travel when setting up a machine for hillclimb or hillcross competition -but that's a little extreme:face-icon-small-con i'm guessing that it was to keep the skis on the ground and decrease the approach angle of the track...:face-icon-small-win i've always run with a little sit in so the suspension doesn't feel so "choppy"when it pops back up (against the stops & limiters) but that's just my preference...:face-icon-small-coo

PGTDragon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2009
Lakewood Co.
I prefer No static sag, it rides rougher on the trails, but soaks up the big hits better and I am having less trenching and ski lift issues.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I use heavy duty springs for a reason. Stockers have too much sag and tranch out.

C

catmanm8

Nov 12, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
If you have zero sag, you would be up against the rear sissor extension limit stop....uh think about that...can't work....check with Mark Holz or Carl's Cycle....some of the best in the business...with more than opinions.....they have race wins....

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I set mine so the springs just hold the skid fully extended. Then when I sit on it I get about 3" of "sit in". I do not like the rear to be so soft that the weight of the machine actually compresses the suspension.

Premium Features