• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 Apex Mountain (Turbo & Track)

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
Ok, I have been reading for what seems like weeks on all the information you guys have posted, wow there is some serious experience on this forum I'm very impressed.

I have a stock Apex that I want to start "changing".

I do have a couple of questions about some confusion I'm having.

First, my track. I like the idea of putting a 15" in track on and going with the 174" TS on the back, with a 2 wheel Big Nutz adjustable axle. What do I need to make this "skinnier" modification. I plan on putting 7" Avid drivers, but is there anything else I need to do other than that? I've never had the track off on this thing and would like to have it all ready with parts, instead of missing something and having to wait.

Second, my machine didn't come with a reverse, and obviously the Apex weighs just close to a ton (at least it seems that weigh (pun intended)) and maneuvering can be challenging, and I would like to put a reverse kit on her. I'm eventually going to put either a MCX or Impulse turbo on or maybe a supercharger, I'm still debating. I'm stuck using 91 octane at my location so I want to get the most bang for pump gas I can. But the dealer said that if I put the reverse kit on, I can't have any kind of boost on because the reverse will be in the way.

I'm just trying to tap this knowledge you guys and gals have, and make a good decision before I drop a lot of coin.

Thanks

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
Pucker, you can easily swap for a 15" track, no changes necessary.

I would not go 174" until you add boost. You will lose speed and handling. With boost, it'll help keep the front end down.

Try a power claw, or a challenger extreme 162", or stick with the Mav until you boost the sled.

Reverse is a tough decision - it's expensive, adds complexity, and it'll trench you really quick in any sort of powder. I find it really useful for backing off the trailer, or turning around on narrow hard packed trail, but I never use it otherwise.

Instead of putting reverse on, I would spend the money on a Timbersled skid, it'll lighten the back end up to the point you can turn the sled around or get it off the trailer by dragging it.

Also, when you turbo you'll likely want to change gearing, and the reverse gears are more expensive.

You can buy a 2 wheel axle, or you can make one or modify a 4 wheel axle, it isn't difficult if you have mechanical skills, I bought a BDX 2 wheel axle for mine ($20), and did a little machining to make it work. It's definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Mark

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
Yeah my dad has an 08 Nytro and it's real fun to ride with the 15" track. I like the power the Apex offers though, my dad is 120lbs and I'm 240. But I have a real hard time tipping my weight in harder packed snow. If I'm in powder it's easy and real fun, but if I get into places where others have tracked beneath new snow, I get tossed all over the place.

As far as trenching, it already trenches REAL BAD already. I don't know if it's my weight or what, but I was hoping the TS skid being longer would bring the attack angle down more. Last trip out had about 3-4 feet of new powder and I was buried all day, my dad said all he could see was my windscreen and headlight. I felt like a snow plow, and of course digging that thing out of stuck, REALLY SUCKS!!

Thanks for your advice.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
stick with the 16 wide track....ditch the maverick and put a camo extreme 16x2.5x162 on there. the extra width really helps the apex stay on top of the snow and not harder to maneuver...and this track will work good with the turbo when you install it.

Last edited:

reed4rmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Clackamas, OR
You can have a turbo and reverse. On mine, a cable was routed from the parking brake to the reverse to shift from forward to reverse. Then an aftermarket brake handle was put on that can be locked down as the parking brake. On the plus side I have reverse and a brake/parking-brake handle that I like better than stock. On the minus side sometimes it's a bi*#h to get out of reverse because now it's a little tiny spring that shifts it out as opposed to the original mechanical shift. Putting the turbo and a camoplast extreme 162 on made a lot of difference. The Maverick was starting to tear the lugs off. Good luck and have fun.

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
What kind of turbo kit do you use? Is the Extreme that much better than the Maverick? It looks like the almost the same track, and my Mav is a piece of garbage.

reed4rmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Clackamas, OR
I went with the Boondocker sidemount and the small 25 turbo. I can run 12 lbs on pump fuel with a head shim. When I first put the turbo on it scared the crap out of me. Now I wish I had gone with the 28, power is addictive. The track seems to work very well. The two main reasons I switched was that everyone said it was better than the Maverick, and the lugs on the Maverick were starting to tear off. Just so you know, I didn't have a smooth ride to get to this point. It was supposed to be a turn-key sled....lol...it wasn't. Due to poor setup and multiple problems with the fuel controller crapping out, not to mention going through multiple fuel/air guages and many many trips to the turbo mechanic. It finally crapped out, what was thought to be a blown head gasket ended up being a piston that went due to detonation that scored the block beyond repair. Lots of frustration, money and down time. Seems to be doing ok this year and is a lot of fun. There have been many times I felt like driving it through the showroom windows though. I think I was unlucky because lots of turbo owners haven't had these kind of troubles. Just my opinion and something to think about.:face-icon-small-sho

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
Was the detonation because of using pump gas? This is my dilemma, I don't have the availability of race gas and I'm comparing several options (MCX, Boondocker, Alpine, Impulse, S/C) who all claim to be pump gas capable, but if you're having detonation problems this doesn't seem to be achievable.

reed4rmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Clackamas, OR
Gas wasn't the issue. Was using 50/50 race fuel at 6-8 lbs of boost. Should have been no problems at all. I think it was pretty much due to the fuel management system not doing it's job. Don't get me wrong, I think there are quite a few turbo systems and and installers out there that do a great job. Nothing wrong with a Boondocker system and there are several other types to choose from too. I think what makes the most impact is the mechanic doing the install and their reputation that they will do what it takes to make it work. If I were to do it again, I would buy a sled that was already set up by somebody else. People put a ton of money into their sled and then sell it for a lot less than what they invested...take advantage of that. Course there is always a chance that it could be a p.o.s. I guess there isn't a 100% fool proof way.

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
Yeah, I'm worried about these things to. I'm actually steering towards a S/C cause it doesn't have the levels of tuning required. I've never messed with anything T/C or S/C only NA. And, I'm quite intimidated by the process, maybe S/C is more bolt on and newbie friendly.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
The McXpress doens't get in the way of reverse and there are many in my group that have a McX with reverese and love it. Go with a Powerclaw or Powder Extreme 162 either 15" or 16" wide.. both are good tracks. McX kits are built for the non tuners out there... the S/C kits that I've been around always have the hoods off tuning.

As far as a stock sled until you get boost... get some weight off it, clutch it and keep it pinned... rode mine stock for two years and had a blast.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I would never ever go 16 wide again.

Never saw any difference in flotation the 15 wide challenger extreme drives circles around any 16 wide mav anyway and it feels like the sled lost 100 pounds it side-hills that much easier.

For me 162 by 15 wide is the best all around mountain combo turbo or not .

My boondocker sled is a 156"

174 is great for a competitive chute climber that's it.

But then again I know guys with trucks that have a 2 foot lift and super-swamper tires that argue they work good as a daily driver.:face-icon-small-con

Premium Features