• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 powder special Questions

C
Dec 10, 2008
i have a 2000 powder special and i lost my speedometer and i was told not to ride it by a friend of my dads. i was wondering what to check on this situation.

Z
Oct 13, 2008
Yakima, Wa
spedo problem

If thats the only problem you have feel lucky. That happens all the time. Have you greased the cable zirt and bearing at the jackshaft? If you have stayd up on that you wont have any problems. I may have an extra cable laying around that I would make ya a good deal on. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just my 2 cents. Most guys take the speedos off anyways. Hope thats all the problems you have. Good riding to ya!

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
If the speedometer quit working, that's generally a sign that the driveshaft bearing under the speedometer drive is going out. Check it and probably replace it.

M
Jun 19, 2008
X2 on the driveshaft bearings going..... When you remove the cable you will most likely see a small key sheared off that goes into the driveshaft. Definitely check the bearing though they are notorious for going bad. You should be able to pull that side off my just loosening up the track. If that is bad check the one in the chaicase as well.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
Here is what you could be looking at if the speedometer quit like mine did.

P4010081.jpg

Drive bearing went out 30 miles after speedo quit.

Premium Features