• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 rear skid sag

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
I know my old '05 M7 with 4000 miles on it is probably getting a little tired, but what's my problem with droopy rear suspension? Please see the attached pics.

Knowing that my rear skid needed some maintenance, this fall I tore it apart to see what needed repaired. I sent the shocks to Holz for revalving and a new spring stack for the front spring that is supposed to work pretty good. I purchased new rails from Iceage to replace my stock ones that were cracked. I bought several new shafts, bushings, idlers, etc that were just plain wore out or bent and used all the stock parts to put it back together. After the first ride on it this year, the rear bumper sags 3-4 inches and never rebounds. I did have my torsion springs set in the middle (185lb to 200lb rider) and after the ride I switched it to the highest setting to see if it would help. It hasn't.

I know my skid has sagged before, but never for this length of time and I contributed some of it to worn out parts and shocks desparately in need of service. What do I have going on here, suggestions?

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
Holz says to check the mounting location of the rear swing arm, check the Iceage rails vs. my stock rails... I'm going to take a look at it tonight, since I still have the old rails handy.

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Could be wrong but it looks to me llike the lower mount on the rear spring is in the down position rather than the up position. If so fixing that may fix your problem.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
Rear shock mounting at the rails is swung down and should be in the up position. this will pull the upper wheels forward. Remove the shock and get the lower mount turned up and reinstal shock. Will probably have to readjust track.

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
Look at the second picture on this sled. see how the front mount of the rear shock is up compared to yours.
http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178474

Looks like you could be right Ski-Laxn. However, here's what it looked like before I installed the skid in the tunnel and it looks like its up like it should be, see attached pic.

I'm going to check it tonight to see if something broke or bent since I installed it...

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Look at this pic. this how it should look.
attachment.php

attachment.php

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
Yes, I fixed it.

However, now I am dealing with other problems caused by the initial install. Turns out I DID have the arm (the one that the rear shock bolts to at the rails) installed correctly, but the holes in the Iceage holes were drilled in the wrong location. At least I think they were in the wrong location since when I drilled the holes as where they were on my OEM rails at 18 3/4" from center of rear arm rail bolt to center of idler shaft, it fixed the problem. The holes in the Iceage rails measured 20" which caused the rear shock to swing down instead of up no matter how the shock arm was installed.

As a result of the incorrect geometry my suspension had from the first ride, it appears that I bent the upper half of my rear swing arm and of course, the cross shaft support for the rails.

See the attached photos.

I will continue to call Iceage since their line was busy. Buyer beware! There were no instructions provided with their rails and I took for granted that the holes they drilled were in the correct location. Oh and my rear shock suffered some damage from this incident as well.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Yes, I fixed it.

However, now I am dealing with other problems caused by the initial install. Turns out I DID have the arm (the one that the rear shock bolts to at the rails) installed correctly, but the holes in the Iceage holes were drilled in the wrong location. At least I think they were in the wrong location since when I drilled the holes as where they were on my OEM rails at 18 3/4" from center of rear arm rail bolt to center of idler shaft, it fixed the problem. The holes in the Iceage rails measured 20" which caused the rear shock to swing down instead of up no matter how the shock arm was installed.

As a result of the incorrect geometry my suspension had from the first ride, it appears that I bent the upper half of my rear swing arm and of course, the cross shaft support for the rails.

See the attached photos.

I will continue to call Iceage since their line was busy. Buyer beware! There were no instructions provided with their rails and I took for granted that the holes they drilled were in the correct location. Oh and my rear shock suffered some damage from this incident as well.

I could be wrong, bit I believe there rails are predrilled for the TimberSled rear Suspension, which mounts different.

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
When I ordered them, I asked if my factory parts would bolt onto these rails and they assured me they would. There's nothing on their website that would indicate otherwise.

I bent the upper idler wheel shaft of the rear swing arm. See attached.

Premium Features