• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crack in front bulkhead/ frame. Need ideas.

F
Jan 14, 2009
Greetings all. I started looking at the sled and pulling things apart to do the radiator delete and found this...
CIMG1030.jpg

CIMG1029.jpg

CIMG1028.jpg

So, my question would be... What's the easiest way to fix it? Replace it? Weld it? Do I need to pull the engine to fix it? Maybe just pull the throttle bodies to get enough room to weld...

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Thats the front cross-member. It has cracked from the steering cutout up through to the top. It's only about a $40 piece to replace. You will have to lift the engine though.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Eh, if you know a welder in town that can do aluminum, i'd just repair it. Maybe plate it up to reinforce the weld area, but you should be okay repairing it.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Greetings all. I started looking at the sled and pulling things apart to do the radiator delete and found this...

So, my question would be... What's the easiest way to fix it? Replace it? Weld it? Do I need to pull the engine to fix it? Maybe just pull the throttle bodies to get enough room to weld...

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Completly remove the motor, and replace the cross member.

While you have the motor out, completly check out the bulk head for any cracks.

F
Jan 14, 2009
Anyone know where I can get a repair manual? I've found a couple but they all say for 2005 Polaris 900's and I know there are some changes for the 06's.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
The 05 that you can down load will get you through pulling the motor and reinstalling, "the changes in this area small" until you can find a 06.

H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
Replace it , welding cast alloy will never be as strong and to do a good weld it would need to come out and be prepaired and cleaned.

the cross member isnt cast, but yeah replacing it would be the best option and check your motor mounts when you have it out and replace the cross member bolts with grade 8 or 10 bolts when you put it back in.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
My crossmember broke last season. Being an extruded piece, I think it is actually weakened quite a bit by the notch cut in for the steering linkage. I made my own from 3/4" X 3" 6061 solid flat bar. It took a fair bit of time making sure all measurements were dead-on to ensure proper belt alignment, but I feel it's significantly stronger than the factory piece. So far, no cracks and no belt issues.

Premium Features