• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

center oil seals leaking need opinions

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I just got Biggdawg out of storage and it was smoking like heck. I was going to replace the dang throttle body boots again since i had one rip completely.

got it apart and there is oil all over in the crank case and my oil level is down to where the oil tube is that goes to the case to lube the oil pump/water pump shaft. so the seals must be out.

What do you guys think about just running it one more season. don't want to put a crank in this year and she runs fine other than that. give me some pros and cons. thanks

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Ouch!

Bruce...

not sure what to say man..i would not be so confident to leave it for the season..hate to see you destroy the motor (i.e. cases/cylinders) so you wont be able to rebuild it next season..

I know IndyDan talked about this happening before..to be honest i would call Dan and see what he thinks..he is the best person to talk to..he will advice you on if you should repait NOW, or someway to get around it for the next season..

good luck man..hope it doesnt hinder you too much..!!

Keep us posted..i have ZERO rebuilding expierence with this happening or i would be more of a help :eek:

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
thanks for the input guido, i have rebuild plenty of motors just never had one with these seals leaking. I don't think it will hurt it other than burning too much oil but i could be wrong.

I will have to give dan a call or maybe he will be at haydays. have a good one

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
we had the same thing happen to us. it burned oil like a sumbeech and was soon fouling plugs and even had the computer telling it to shut off if i remember right.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
The thing I worry about is that that center water and oil pump shaft is supposed to be bathed in the oil similar to a 4-stroke motor, if the seals are leaking and your reservoir falls to below the top tube, you will be essentially running that center shaft without much if any lubrication. Being the shaft is a metal on metal setup, I would rather spend the money and rebuild it now and not have to worry about it... There's plenty of other things to worry about on sleds as it is.

my $.02

100_3054.jpg

Last edited:
C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
A way to verify would be to pressurize the hose to 3-4 lbs and have a look/listen...but from your description I suspect you're right. Also check out the "wet" bolt holding the oil pump on as well as the o-ring behind the pump.

Last edited:

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
I would fix it now so your not worried about it each trip you go on. Plus if the Biggdawg blows-up in the back country you might never get it out.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
oil seals

Well, you really shouldn't have taken it apart because it was smoking after storage.

It is common for a 900 to smoke bad after sitting for awhile.

The crank seals can leak a little when sitting BUT be OK to run many miles
without a problem.

BUT sense its apart........... Pull the crank out and take another picture of
the lower case half right where the PTO bearings sit and I would like to see if there is any outter bearing chatter that you can hook a finger nail on.

Nice to see your not running VES gold.

Dan

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Well, you really shouldn't have taken it apart because it was smoking after storage.

It is common for a 900 to smoke bad after sitting for awhile.

The crank seals can leak a little when sitting BUT be OK to run many miles
without a problem.

BUT sense its apart........... Pull the crank out and take another picture of
the lower case half right where the PTO bearings sit and I would like to see if there is any outter bearing chatter that you can hook a finger nail on.

Nice to see your not running VES gold.

Dan

well dan i don't have mine torn apart yet. i just have the throttle bodies off to change the dang boots again. there was a ton of oil in the crankcase that is why i was asking the question to see if i should tear it down now or can i wait a season and do it next year.

so you think i could run it for another 300-500 miles before i fix it?

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
The thing I worry about is that that center water and oil pump shaft is supposed to be bathed in the oil similar to a 4-stroke motor, if the seals are leaking and your reservoir falls to below the top tube, you will be essentially running that center shaft without much if any lubrication. Being the shaft is a metal on metal setup, I would rather spend the money and rebuild it now and not have to worry about it... There's plenty of other things to worry about on sleds as it is.

my $.02

100_3054.jpg

That's my 900 engine with just under 2100 miles. I ran ves gold for 500 miles then Walmart syntech regular oil for the other 1600.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
That's my 900 engine with just under 2100 miles. I ran ves gold for 500 miles then Walmart syntech regular oil for the other 1600.

Sorry sleddude...Thats what I get for only skimming the thread.

Biggdawg, you just have to start it and get it all cleaned out and then
shut it down and let it sit the amount of time inbetween rides that it normaly sits and see what what happens.

Its best if you can get at the crank drains, to drain them and measure the oil that drains out.

If it has a really bad leak and the sled sits to long you can hydro lock the motor and damage a rod and that would be bad.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Sorry sleddude...Thats what I get for only skimming the thread.

Biggdawg, you just have to start it and get it all cleaned out and then
shut it down and let it sit the amount of time inbetween rides that it normaly sits and see what what happens.

Its best if you can get at the crank drains, to drain them and measure the oil that drains out.

If it has a really bad leak and the sled sits to long you can hydro lock the motor and damage a rod and that would be bad.

thanks Dan,

I think i am just going to go through it and put a new crank and cases on it. and convert it to an 06 motor. was going to do it next year but what the heck it is only money :D

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
BD...I ran my 06 all last year with leaking inner crank seals. I just made sure that I topped off my oil before EVERY ride. I would go through about 3 times the amount of oil than my buds 860 dragon that I'd top of before every ride. about a half to 2/3 's of a quart for a hard 40 mile ride. I got a little over 1000 miles last year like that. Those were very hard miles.

I found the same thing when I went to replace my t-body boots...lower end full of oil and the oil pump bolt leaking along with a shredded o'ring for the oil pump. Loctited the bolt and replaced the o'ring, solved the leak, just went through a lot of oil.

Never fouled any plugs, never had any runnability probs. My feeling was as long as I kept the oil topped off I'd be ok. Don't wanna burn up the oil pump drive gear. I plan on ripping mine down here pretty soon.

After repairing the external leak, my inner seals wouldn't leak unless the motor was running.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
BD...I ran my 06 all last year with leaking inner crank seals. I just made sure that I topped off my oil before EVERY ride. I would go through about 3 times the amount of oil than my buds 860 dragon that I'd top of before every ride. about a half to 2/3 's of a quart for a hard 40 mile ride. I got a little over 1000 miles last year like that. Those were very hard miles.

I found the same thing when I went to replace my t-body boots...lower end full of oil and the oil pump bolt leaking along with a shredded o'ring for the oil pump. Loctited the bolt and replaced the o'ring, solved the leak, just went through a lot of oil.

Never fouled any plugs, never had any runnability probs. My feeling was as long as I kept the oil topped off I'd be ok. Don't wanna burn up the oil pump drive gear. I plan on ripping mine down here pretty soon.

After repairing the external leak, my inner seals wouldn't leak unless the motor was running.

cool i was thinking i could get away with it. I am a mechanic by trade and the only thing i was worried about is it sucking air in there and fouling plugs from the oil.
I think what i am going to do is build up a complete 06 motor and just replace this one and maybe sell this one as is. it was running fine just smoking a lot when you first start it after sitting for awhile.

Premium Features