• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 dragon front end and hood on 05 900

T
I broke the front end on my 900 rmk and I need to replace the whole front end. The dealer said that I should be able to use the new 09 front end and the new hood on my 900. I am just wondering if anyone has tried this. I have removed the radiator so that is now out of the way.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
yes the 09 front end will work, and its BETTER..cuts the snow much easier and looks sharper then the 05-08 IQ...i am getting the 09 front end kit with bumper from Curt at fastrax..BEST price for the kit and bumper..period..

there is alot of threads on her about the conversion..

http://www.ftxmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24_51&products_id=67

your 900 hood will work just fine with the 09 fenders/bumper...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Yes it will work.... the jury is out on if it will float better though as the 2009's have decreased bellypan area.

The hood is the same.. the front grille/hinge assy changed is all. If you destroyed the stock hood as well.. any of the 2005 - 2009 IQ RMK hoods will fit

You may be able to find someonene that is upgrading to the 2009 plastic and has a perfect set of 2008 stuff to sell as well.... then you can use TreeDogs bumper or the SPG and a float plate for extra frontal protection if you are on a budget.

You will need to use the STOCK airbox assembly, a timbersled or FNI (out till May).
I'm not a fan of the Timbersled as it draws hot air from under the hood.

The FTX bumper will take the most punishment of them all and protect your front end better than the factory "grab handle-loop" on the 2009's.

Skinz Protective gear makes an excellent bumper as well.

The other things to think about is the swaybar... the 2009 works better than the one you have and the mount for this is integrated into the top bumper mount anyway.

If you destroyed your A-arms, get the 2009 models made for the new swaybar...

Contact Z-broz, Tri City Polaris, Carls Cycles etc to see if they have any front suspension take offs from upgrading to aftermarket setups. The spindles absolutely stink on the 2005's and you should upgrade to the 2008 and up (heck the 2006/07 spindles are an upgrade).

Be carfull taking out your ball joints on the lower A arms and you should be able to re-use them.

Other things to check for on a frontal collision... broken motor mounts, torn throttle body boots, ruined exhaust pipes and cracked welds on mufflers. Upgrade all the motor mount bolts to grade 8 at this time (especially the ones that go into the front motor mount plate thru the bulkhead sides.

Your current sidepanels will switch over to the new stuff.

Good luck!

Last edited:
T
Thank you for your help, I feel much better about the conversion now. It's great to have people on this forum like you that are open to sharing not only your opinion, but your expertise. Thanks again for the info.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
09 setup

so when switching over, can you reuse the 06 swaybar setup with the 09 frontend? or do you have to use the 09 swaybar or nothing?
Thanks,
Nolan

nolan..

this was covered not too long ago, and from what i gathered..

if you want to use a sway bar (which the 09 one is better overal then the 05-08), but you do not have to use it of coarse..but if you wanted to use the 09 swaybar..you need the 09 sway bar and 09 lower a-arms..but like MH said..i would get the a-arms anyways..they are better as well and gives you the option of using it later on...

Jan 9, 2008
a-arms?

So can you just change the lower a-arms or both the upper and lower a-arms or do you have to change the whole front end? I'm riding an 07 Dragon.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
as far as i know..just the lower..but not 100%...

if you want the 09 front end you change the fenders/bumper/lower a-arms (if you want the swaybar)..

if you want to just use the 09 a-arms..they will fit any year IQ..

Premium Features