• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine sieze with newly installed Bikeman kit

S
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Have a look at these pics. My buddy installed the Bikeman durability kit in his 2012 Pro R 800. after 200 miles and a proper break-in she seized up. It was quite cold out when this happened, -22C (-8F) and the machine was warmed up to 127 before heading out. Ran 2 miles and she locked up. First mile was on a lake so likely a a hard pull for the first half mile than trail after that. PTO side piston is scores up on intake side and rings are broken. Anyone seen something like this before? We were wondering about cold seize but it was warmed up sufficiently before according to the gauge. Thoughts?

IMG_5636 (2).JPG IMG_5635.JPG

P
Nov 20, 2016
foleyet. ontario
I am not an engine expert but when it shows seizing in the four corners like that it's a cold seize.. I mean I see it's pretty much 3 out of 4 so the writing is on the wall. If I opened one up and saw that I'd say it was a cold seize. Just my opinion of course.

Good luck.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Cold seize.

Just because the coolant is warm on the display doesn't mean that the components are up to full operating temp and tolerances. You're engine isn't really warmed up for quite a while. I tend to ride my sled very conservatively for the first 5 miles with only very short bursts of moderate to heavy throttle after several miles. Never hold it wide open or get heavy on the throttle right from the trailer... This is what happens when you do, unfortunately an expensive lesson.

Premium Features