• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SBA 800 Gearing with 2" Challenger?

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
I ordered a 2" Challenger for my SBA 800. Here is what I am putting on it now:

- 2" Challenger
- Mohawk Skis

I am doing 40/60 trail/offtrail here in the midwest and the U.P. What should I use for gearing? Stock is 23/40. I could go to a 19T top gear but that would give me a 2.10 ratio and might be a little short for midwest riding.

Also I am considering getting a stage II clutch kit. Do I have to reclutch with a larger lug?

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
My '15 SBA 800 has a very different set up for sea Level (U.P. MI) compared to mountains. Sea level, per the owners manual as follows:

10-66 weights, black primary spring, blue black secondary spring, no change to helix or chaincase gearing for elevation, assuming you already have a 2" track.

While there are always small ways to tweak individual performance attributes, the factory settings (in the owners manual on Polaris.com) are usually a pretty good all around set up. Doesn't matter who made the 2:, it's still the same size lug and same effort to spin it around the axles.

Here is a link to the manual -
https://prdvehiclepubsdata001.blob.core.windows.net/public/OwnerManuals/SNO/9925088.pdf

Edit - re-read your post. If your stock gearing is 23:40, that tells me you are running a 1 3/8 Cobra. So you will need to change gears to 20/42 when installing the 2" track. Same 72 pitch chain. I change mine back and forth between 1 3/8" and 2" depending on where I am riding (Mtns or Midwest). Works/runs/performs great in both set ups. If you are running a different year SBA, then just go to Polaris.com and get the owners manual for your model year.

Last edited:

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Is there a benefit to running 20/42 over 19/40? Both ratios are essentially 2.1. The stock gearing for the Polaris 2" track is 19/40 which is why I ordered the 19t top sprocket since I already have the 40T lower.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I changed my 17 SBA to the 19/40 after I put a 2" track on it, you will need a different chain. 68 pitch I believe. This gearing works great in the flatlands as well. No clutching changes are necessary when swapping to the 2".

Last edited:
Premium Features