• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brake Switch

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I was curious if anyone has had to replace their brake switch before? My brake light indicator is always on along with the brake light in the back always being on. I checked all the wiring and it all checked out good. So then I tested the switch and I can move the brake lever to trip the micro switch and it never changes. I always have continuity in the switch keeping the brake light on.

Does the switch assembly just pry out of the brake lever housing? It looks like theres two little tabs that sit in little holes in the brake lever housing holding it in place. Before I go prying on it to remove it I figured I'd ask since I don't have the new one to install anyways.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I know this is an old post but I have the same thing going on right now and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they fixed it?

oscar

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Mine is doing the same thing. And if i pull the lever just a little i can get it to go off. But otherwise on all the time no matter if im using the brakes or not.

T

theletup

Jan 3, 2011
Coeur d'Alene, ID
I'm also curious about this. My rear brake light works how it's supposed too but my dash indicator is stuck on all the time. Seems kinda weird... can't be the switch if the brake light is working right?

Duramax325

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2011
Minot N.D.
I also had the same thing come up this weekend would be nice to figure it out. Lucky for me i have a vipec on the sled with antilag and it would not go anywhere. igave cody a call and he shut it off and the light is still on but at least i could ride.

S
Feb 25, 2008
Craig CO
My 12 started doing this last ride. Brake light functions proparly but light stays on on the dash. The reverse stoped working about the same time tried to jumper out swith to test reverse but nothing. I have a bad feeling that its a problem in the ECU since the brake light switch sends a signal to the ECU. Going to steal a ECU and gauge cluster from a friends sled and try them both on my sled to see if one of threse thing are the problem.

S
Feb 25, 2008
Craig CO
Here is what I found. Checked my brake switch on my brake lever and found even with the switch open it was closed allowing a small amount of voltage to bleed thru. Not enough to turn on the brake light but enough to send voltage to the ecu. I then unpluged the brake switch and the brake light on the cluster went off and the reverse worked. Thought maybe the brake light switch could be going to ground checked that it was ok. With the switch still unpluged I jumpered out the wires to turn on my brake light. When power is present on the brake light idicator wire to the ECU reverse does not work. Pluged in a new ECU and problem solved pluged in the switch and no indicator light and reverse works. So bad ECU.
Not sure if this is the problem every one else is having. But to start I would checked to see if when the switch is off it actually all the way open if it has a small amount of continuity it might be enough to bleed a small amount and light the idicator LED but not enough to light the brake light. If this is your problem replace the switch if the new switch does it still then you might have to take a small resistor and shunt it across the brake light switch.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Logan, Utah
Mine is doing the same thing. How do you remove the switch? I can't see a way to unfasten it. Do you have to remove the lever? Or the entire assembly from the handlebar? How is it fastened?\

Premium Features