• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CR500 cooling system design idea

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Anyone that has been running a big 2T on the mtn want to contribute to my cooling system design? I'll be new to smoking on the mountain this season.

Capture.JPG

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I would route your rad and cooler in series Usually only one or the other is providing cooling

The valve on the carb heater is what you want. Ideally you want all your coolant going through it when your stats are closed. See if you can get the recirculating on them down to almost nothing.

My carb is at risk of sticking wide open if the coolant gets below 70F

D
Aug 29, 2010
Vancouver, BC
on my cr5 i run one outlet off head direct to carb heater with no thermostat and 2nd outlet to 135 thermostat then to tunnel cooler and then they rejoin right before the water pump. no rads at all. perfect consistant temps in all conditions

M
Jan 14, 2004
Anyone that has been running a big 2T on the mtn want to contribute to my cooling system design? I'll be new to smoking on the mountain this season.

Is your CR500 a steelie of an AF? The Avid heater is super tight on the steelie frame depending on which carb you run.

M5

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Not sure about the series vs 2 circuits that I can control, but I'll take into consideration your experience on the hill, seeing you have a lot of posts and years on these topics. Thanks for the feed back. Yes the carb heater would be tapped into the cylinder on it's own circuit with a control valve.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
M5- Are you still interested in making carb heaters and selling them? I can cancel the Avid order I placed last night, it's Steel. Lectron 44HV with MRE torque plate and vforce2 is the plan.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
tunnel cooler that is a good match?

on my cr5 i run one outlet off head direct to carb heater with no thermostat and 2nd outlet to 135 thermostat then to tunnel cooler and then they rejoin right before the water pump. no rads at all. perfect consistant temps in all conditions

Any good fits from a snowmobile that would mount well on the ARO tunnel? I found a summit 800 one on ebay that has the front facing inlet and outputs that looks like its a good fit, but haven't verified the dimensions of it yet.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Any good fits from a snowmobile that would mount well on the ARO tunnel? I found a summit 800 one on ebay that has the front facing inlet and outputs that looks like its a good fit, but haven't verified the dimensions of it yet.

I used one from an older arctic cat 570 I believe. I had mylers radiator shop in Salt Lake re-clock the eyelet so they both faced forward. Also changed them to 5/8. It’s good you’re doing this in the summer. It takes a little while to build the CR 500 just right.

M
Jan 14, 2004
M5- Are you still interested in making carb heaters and selling them? I can cancel the Avid order I placed last night, it's Steel. Lectron 44HV with MRE torque plate and vforce2 is the plan.

I am away from the shop for another 6 weeks so.... You may be OK, I cant remember the length of the Lectron vs a PWK I think it may actually be shorter. I've never built a heater for anyone using Adams plate. I was thinking of that for my CR5 but I am reluctant to mess with it, it just always runs perfect as is.

M5

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
I am away from the shop for another 6 weeks so.... You may be OK, I cant remember the length of the Lectron vs a PWK I think it may actually be shorter. I've never built a heater for anyone using Adams plate. I was thinking of that for my CR5 but I am reluctant to mess with it, it just always runs perfect as is.

M5

6 weeks isn't a big deal, it won't be snowing for 12 to 16 weeks and even then it will be skinny snow! How much do you charge for them? Adam is spec'ing the entire build so I'm letting him design the intake/combustion/exhaust design from ground up.

Last edited:

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
A customer of mine Craig Simenoff (on Facebook) ran a similar system to yours last season and I believe it worked well for him, not sure if he’s on this board or not

Last edited:
P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton

That’s a nice clean setup.

wonderdummy

Premium Member
Dec 27, 2007
Looks similar to mine other than my carb heat came from the tunnel cooler thermostat bypass, I just ran a ball valve for the rad but adding a thermostat this year. I have a fan on my rad for the low/icy snow. I also ran engine shielding from drifters products. Running a pulse carb the square avid carb heater makes getting the carb on and off very tough. They do have a new design carb heat that looks better for Fitment. The 500’s are tough mine would overheat on the trail then get too cold in the deep snow. With this set up temps have stayed stable for me so far and have options for most conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
Aug 29, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I used a rev generation skidoo cooler, but that is on a 17 TS it might be a touch too wide for the ARO.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
The 800 Summit one fits, you have to mount it in the rear of the aluminum frame on the pan but it's a winner.

D
Aug 29, 2010
Vancouver, BC
What about filling and expansion? No tank or anything?
i used a overflow bottle from an artic cat F7, sits where the right side rad would normally be. another bonus to no rads is i made mounting brackets that tucked the shrouds way in, so they dont act like giant snow scoops when landing in deep stuff

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Update on build

I figured this would be fun to show the progress on this build, I'm almost done. Wanting on a few odds and ends and revalving and re-springing the forks this weekend.

Carb Heater is tapped to the rear of the cylinder on its own valved circuit that joins the return from the tunnel cooler. Bypass on the 135 avid thermo dumps directly into return off radiator into the coolant tank. The plastic tank is temporary as my buddy is making me a custom stainless one with the radiator tab mounts. The thermobob is a 160 degree for the left radiator on icy roads when the cooler isn't getting it done, that bypass will run the coolant with a ball valve to the heated bars I made last week.

It's been a super fun project so far. a bit more complicated than some of you guys recommended on the cooling system, but I figure I'll play with it while jetting the lecton to the MRE twirp package and determine if I want to strip it back to a single circuit before going deep into the BC.

IMG_20181024_122007.jpg IMG_20181026_143354.jpg IMG_20181026_143406.jpg IMG_20181027_121538.jpg IMG_20181027_202747.jpg IMG_20181027_150429.jpg IMG_20181027_125145.jpg IMG_20181101_203624.jpg

M
Jan 14, 2004
Looks like a really nice build. I have totally given up trying to mount any electronics on my CR500, it just destroys everything. It killed I don't even remember how many LED lights and it destroyed my GPS as well. I tried rubber mounting all that stuff and it didn't help still shook it to death. Just a heads up.

How do you like the hydraulic clutch conversion?

M5

Last edited:
Premium Features