• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Delorme Inreach Explorer discussion

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I was just poking around and didnt see much posted
on the Inreach Explorer..
I'm about to buy this and was wondering>>
1. quality of the maps on the iphone?
2. how well does it work with the iphone pairing/bluetooth
3. battery life?
4. will it interfere will avy beacon?
5. getting it up and running with the phone if its been off all day
how quickly does it boot and pair
6. Do I still need a quality satellite gps? or can the explorer truely replace it?

I don't currently have a gps or messenger
have been using iphone for navigation..

Thanks for any real life input you guys might have!

L

Lopsangsherpa

Dec 24, 2015
Colorado
I have one and I love it, almost as much as my wife loves it. I have used it for two years for fishing in the summer and sledding in the winter.

1. I find the map quality great and no longer carry a GPS.
2. This normally works very well, it is the only part that gets "futsy" sometimes. Every once in awhile I need to turn off my phone bluetooth and turn it back on.
3. I do a 4-5 day winter camping trip every year in sub zero temps at 12k feet. I make it through the whole trip on one battery charge, you are fine for day trips.
4. My avy beacon always tests correctly when the inreach is in my backpack (do a beacon test before we ride for transmitting frequency). I have not noticed anything in terms of interference.
5. Pretty quickly, you will just turn it on in the morning, put it in your bag and forget about it. IMO there is no need to turn it on and off.
6. I do not need one, I find it a completely suitable replacement if you're always carrying your phone. The functionality of this device is strongly dependent on using your phone with it. If you are planning on doing that you will love it.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Ok, got my inreach explorer

Just a few thing's to add

I have an iphone 5s 16GB
I had to delete some apps,
Photo's ect to get the delorme maps to fit

1. Maps look great on the phone, but will not display on the explorer.

2. Bluetooth pairing is flawless

3. Battery life on unit from my research 2-3 weeks?
Will test this season.
However I would recomend bringing an external battery pack for your phone. I cant get a full day from my iphone when its cold.

4. Avy beacon interference?
Still not sure, but from what I read.. leaving unit in backpack, beacon in front might be ok

5. Starts right up, pairs instantly.. non issue

6. This will work as a gps as long as your phone has battery life left

Note.
Pay special attention
To setting up the unit

Get your emergency contacts correct and synced with the earthmate app and the explorer. Not very user friendly

Send out a couple of tests
I used my wife's email
And she could not figure out how to reply at first..
Use the included link from the email.

Make sure your emergency
Contact has a contact list and instructions

Last edited:

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
c6d5b6c74fa2ecd1a37c6cb7b42be79f.png
6783f206a69603abae7d2b41056df92f.png

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
I was just poking around and didnt see much posted
on the Inreach Explorer..
I'm about to buy this and was wondering>>
1. quality of the maps on the iphone?
2. how well does it work with the iphone pairing/bluetooth
3. battery life?
4. will it interfere will avy beacon?
5. getting it up and running with the phone if its been off all day
how quickly does it boot and pair
6. Do I still need a quality satellite gps? or can the explorer truely replace it?

I don't currently have a gps or messenger
have been using iphone for navigation..

Thanks for any real life input you guys might have!

Just remember to shut your phone off if your using an avalanche beacon. I'm sure your already well aware of that.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Looks good, the review is helpful. I just got an SE for Christmas. I thought about upgrading to the Explorer but after doing some research and watching / reading some reviews I opted to stick with the SE as I can still use my phone in conjunction with it to act as a GPS and even track where I go. I'm also very impressed with the phone integration using the Earthmate app and am glad I have the reassurance of communication if sh** ever heads south in the backcountry.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I'm not sure the new one is much better yet as I have not had much time to look into it. But we might see some price dropping on the old units now. I was always hoping they put one with a full fledged Garmin unit but the press release still talks about Delorme Maps. Guess will see when they hit the market.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Now here is my question and I might just have to break down and call Garmin. I want to know what the difference between the new Explorer + and the original explorer as far as the GPS maps are concerned. The new one is looking more like normal Garmin Topo maps Sadly I think it's going to be a good idea to wait for the new one and I was wanting this for my trip in 3 weeks and they are showing 5-6 weeks for shipping on the new unit. :face-icon-small-dis

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I was just trying to figure out why my downloaded maps are not displaying the color aerial image's as before and noticed the earthmate app says Garmin
had to redownload the color aerial imagery maps

Premium Features