• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boss seat installation.

T
Mar 18, 2013
Just picked up a 2005 King Cat and plan on ordering a Boss Seat and would like to know if there are any modifications needed or is it a basic bolt on. By the way, I really like this sled! What a monster....

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I believe you will need to drill two holes in the tunnel to rivet on the snaps and then clean the tunnel good, put down the velcro and your done. The seat pretty much is stuck on with velcro.

Thunder

T
Mar 18, 2013
so it's basically like my m6 I had as far as installation goes. I guess I heard / read that possibly some kind of tank modification was necessary, maybe that was prior to 2005? I should note that I've considered the WRP seat, but the way it doesn't line up with the lower part of the tank is a deal breaker for me.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
nope. there's a little gap at the bottom, but looks way nicer than the one you have pictured. I'll have to share a pretty large pic to show though...

10_23_13-kc900-(3).jpg

(swapped large image for a smaller one, after OP got to check it out fullsize)

Last edited:
T
Mar 18, 2013
oh yeah, looks way better! I lifted that pic right from WRP's website, maybe they've made some changes cause the one on their site looks like hell!

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
looks like they just didn't push it far enough forward against the tank. maybe because of the tank wrap or something... but I dig mine and don't bother running a tank wrap. Didn't have one when I bought it and I don't see the need for it. My gas gauge has never worked... but with a clear tank, who needs it? ;)

Hard to say about any changes, this being my first seat upgrade. When I first got mine in... the front/bottom corners had worn through from poor ship packaging. They replaced it a month after it arrived (sat in a box waiting for a few) without any questions though. Install was real simple but I haven't got to use the damn thing enough this year to tell if I really like the seat or not.

I would have went BOSS, but the previous owners really let the reputation slide before the recent buy-out. Zipper problems were the biggest complaint I'd read with the old setups but they seem to have really upped their game since, so either choice should be fine. I have been impressed with the amount of storage space in the seat/bag and price point was about the same for seat/bag from WRP vs. seat w/built in bag from BOSS.

One other potential concern about the WRP vs. the BOSS I've read but not seen play out... someone brought up the stress points on the tunnel. If you flipped the sled and came down hard on the seat, the WRP has more focused points of impact that could damage the tunnel at the rear mounting point... vs. the BOSS which seems to evenly distribute the impact points better. I don't plan on flipping my sled that hard on it's back... but you never know. Stuff happens.

I wanted the higher lift of the WRP seat over the BOSS. I've got a prosthetic left foot, so standing up quickly when needed is easier for me with the taller seat... but not having been able to work it out in the mountains yet, I'm still concerned about being so high up and getting "tippy".

Not trying to sway either way. Just giving my own experience.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I built my own. If WRP had a seat at the time, I would probably have had that one. But lower the rear so it wasn't tipped up at such an angle.

I despised the Boss seat for a few reasons(although not important to other people, these irked me)
The cover was glued on. Despite the closed cell foam, the seats do hold some moisture in the open cell foam(the cushion) and it can equate to a handful of lbs over a year of riding.
The wider taper to the rear of the seats also drove me nuts. I wanted a narrow seat, front to back.
The side taper kept my legs bulged out instead of straight. I didn't want to feel like I was riding a horse.
Not to mention the zippers or snap quality...

And I thought I could do better with storage capabilities....Ended up with enough room to fit a probe, shovel, and 2.5lb nitrous bottle under my butt. I use the space for tools, 2 bottles of water, and the aforementioned 2.5lb bottle.

I ended up with this. Sold quite a few. And still rock them on my sleds and a few friends sleds in the area.

I did end up with a BOSS seat on my M-Series sled tho, so not to say that they are bad by any means...

bomb02.jpg bomb03.jpg

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
No. My own design. I actually made hundreds of them. Right out of my dads two car garage when I was in high school. University put an end to that tho. Haha

Sent from my GT-I8260L using Tapatalk

T
Mar 18, 2013
I finally ordered a Boss seat last week, really looking forward to getting it. Customer service was super helpful when I called to place my order and assured me I would get my seat before my trip. I will post an update after I use it for the first time next weekend. Thanks Boss Seats!

Last edited:
T
Mar 18, 2013
Well installation was a breeze, I just made sure to use a heat gun to warm the tunnel so the Velcro stuck better. Also, one really needs to make sure to double check the drill points on the tunnel so you don't accidentally hit the heat exchangers along the running boards. I used it for 250 miles so far both on and off trail what an improvement from stock! There's a ton of storage and the zipper pulls feel really durable. Really glad I ordered the seat, totally changed my king cat for the better!

Premium Features