• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1100 manual chain tensioner installation

M
Nov 9, 2008
Butte, Montana
I just installed a manual chain tensioner on a 2014 1100 and thought I would share some info and photos. I put the sled on its side to do this. I detached the oil tank from the chain case and moved it aside. While I had this all apart, I installed a fill plug and a drain plug. I drilled a access hole in the bottom of the plastic to get the the drain plug.

photo (12).jpg photo (9).jpg photo (10).jpg photo (11).jpg

S
Dec 6, 2007
What a great idea. I have constantly complained about the lack of a drain and fill plug on this chain case. Turns out with a little thinking the solution was very simple all along. Good work!!!!!!

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
What did you do to combat the rubbing of the bolt head on the oil return line.
Our's rub here and only time before it rubs a wear point into the aluminum return line

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I built a shorter adjusting bolt and zip tied some heater hose on the line to protect it.

It appears that you have a non Arctic Cat adjuster- the cat style accepts a rounded bolt face- and makes it a bit tricky to cut shorter leaving you with a flat face to come in contact with the spring loaded adjuster.

I also notices the proctective over on the spline- just for the install? as I also put on the new chain from Cat
Thanks

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
The tensioner in the first post is the stock Cat style- it has a different spring in it as it has to wrap around the arm to hold outward even tension. Everything in the stock auto adjuster in tossed.
As a rule of thumb- finger tight gives the best results.

Last edited:

psychosledder73

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Fernie BC
The tensioner in the first post is the stock Cat style- it has a different spring in it as it has to wrap around the arm to hold outward even tension. Everything in the stock auto adjuster in tossed.
As a rule of thumb- finger tight gives the best results.

No not finger tight on these snopro tensioners you go till there is no
lash between the block and the chaincase . Finger tight will cause too tight of a chain

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Use the adjuster bolt

I've had a few PM's on where to drill the hole for the adjusting bolt. I drilled it .560" in from the edge of the case. Attached is a photo...best I could get in tight quarters.

I installed the threaded block into the inner half of the case. Then took a bolt with the same thread and ground it to a point. Then I threaded the bolt in from the inside and snugged it so that it left a divot or pilot if you will. Then proceded to drill the hole from the inside out with a 90* air drill.

Spike89

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
lash between the block and the chaincase . Finger tight will cause too tight of a chain

Is finger tight also to tight if you are using the Evo mounts & TCL delete?

M
Nov 9, 2008
Butte, Montana
When I put in arctic cat manual adjuster, the return spring holds a fair amount of pressure against the chain. I ended up going about another full turn in tighter with my fingers. I'm not quite sure if that is where it needs to be. Here is a photo with it set that way.

photo (17).jpg

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming

Thanks-in the past- you didn't want the chain slapping the case and a reverse rotation of the track took all the slack out and finger from there.
So now when the cover is back on and a few hundered miles when we adjust- measurment will have to be finger tight...it's all we got

S/C

Premium Features