• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trouble with primary, any thoughts on a solution

Last week i pulled the cover plate for inspection, and while the spider looked good, rollers, weights, pins , buttons, spring all tip top shape, i did snap off a bolt on the cover plate:frusty: 2200 mi. on my m1000. It's been bulletproof so far. I've heard conflicting stories on whether or not these clutches can be worked on (they say you have to replace whole clutch. Can i not extract the broken bolt and replace it. And, if so, what's the best method of extraction without damaging the clutch? : PB blaster, heat, left handed drill bit, easy outs? And a replacement bolt would have to weigh in exactly to maintain balance, where might one be found?

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
Extraction depends on how it sheared off. Is proud if the tower? Can you weld a nut onto it and then turn it out?

Take a picture of it, that would help out a ton in my plan on attack.
I've got an old spare But i'm from Canada. PM me your contact info. Theres gotta be people close to you that can chime in.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I had this happen to me with an M7. I ended up drilling out the bolt. I than had to re-taping each hole to 7mm. Hopefully you will get it out so you do not have to re-tap each hole. 10 lbs on each bolt is what I torque mine to now after breaking the bolt.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
It should be easy to drill a hole and use an easy out. Seems I have to do that every time I take a helix out of the secondary! Cat does not seem to believe in using hard bolts.

Premium Features