• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How long on a belt?

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I have a 2010 M8 that is stock. I have 1,100 miles in the belt and it looks and performs great. When should a guy put a new belt on just because?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Just run it till it blows or is starting to look warn. And always have a Spair on you. No point in changing it if its in perfect shape

R
Feb 24, 2009
Gunnison, Co
belt wear

You can run your belt till it blows up and causes you a bunch of headaches in the back country. You should always have a spare NEW belt with you. an easy way to tell if your belt is to hold the new belt against the old one to see if it is narrower. as a belt wears it becomes narrower and causes change in engagement rpm as well as top end rpm. change it out before it gets too narrow, or when the cordage starts to wear through and fall out.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
You might find that the belt is worn and since it was a gradual decline you didn't notice the difference. Every 1000 miles or even less than that you should change the belt imo, unless you ride like an 80 yr old great gramps. Have the old one for a spare. You might notice a big difference when going to a new one. Just my opinion though.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
You might find that the belt is worn and since it was a gradual decline you didn't notice the difference. Every 1000 miles or even less than that you should change the belt imo, unless you ride like an 80 yr old great gramps. Have the old one for a spare. You might notice a big difference when going to a new one. Just my opinion though.

Great input. I think I will change it tomorrow. I ride like a middle aged guy lol

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I changed mine at 1300 miles just because I felt like I may as well use the new spare and keep the original as the spare. I boondock.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
Get a new belt and measure it with a mic and then measure the old one and I would bet you would see the difference, if not, I guess run it.

I keep deflection set correctly as it wears. Of course this doesn't help in the primary.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Wow. I usually get just under 300mi to a belt. This last belt lasted just over 400 and I was super excited. If I get a 5" string pulled I wont run the belt anymore. Its a reall pain trying to get all the string out of the bottom of the clutches when it comes apart.
DSC02801.jpg

When it grabs the string and pulls it out half way through the width of the belt it then pulls the belt out of the primary and flips it inside out on the secondary.
DSC02792.jpg

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Wow. I usually get just under 300mi to a belt. This last belt lasted just over 400 and I was super excited. If I get a 5" string pulled I wont run the belt anymore. Its a reall pain trying to get all the string out of the bottom of the clutches when it comes apart.
DSC02801.jpg

When it grabs the string and pulls it out half way through the width of the belt it then pulls the belt out of the primary and flips it inside out on the secondary.
DSC02792.jpg

If your only getting 3-400m out of a belt something is out of adjustment and you should definetly look into that. With proper clutching your belt should last 1000+miles IMO

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I think it all depends on how u ride.
I get 5-6 mpg on all of my 800's. Most people will get 8-10. Those people also get 1,000 + mi. On a belt.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I think it all depends on how u ride.
I get 5-6 mpg on all of my 800's. Most people will get 8-10. Those people also get 1,000 + mi. On a belt.

I ride my sled hard, on and off the gas, climbing, boondocking, wide open for long periods of time, as much as i can in the deep stuff (the this weather hasnt been helping much). Yes how you ride matters but Id bet something is off in your clutch.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I ride my sled hard, on and off the gas, climbing, boondocking, wide open for long periods of time, as much as i can in the deep stuff (the this weather hasnt been helping much). Yes how you ride matters but Id bet something is off in your clutch.

Also if your getting under 300mi a belt thats around 2-4 rides for me. Thats way to much money in belts that you should not be spending.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I don't pack gas so my rides r limited to 50-60 miles. If its deep then its less than that. 3, 500 miles and 12-13 belts. Second primary no different than the first. Dealers and builders hav both checked my alignment. Right on spec. MDS weights took me from 300 avg to just over 400 on my last belt. My sled performs better than most M8's so I don't want to mess with the clutching now.
I've never got morethan 500 mi. On a belt from any 800 I've owned. Skidoo, Polaris, Cat.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I seem to find an increase in performance with a new belt. The belt sits higher in the secondary, so the sled theoretically is starting out in a lower gear. Mine all seem to look great but, with an occasional pulled cord. Since going to the 1.507: offset my clutches look way better after each ride. The black rings from the belt slipping on the primary seem to be gone and so are the pulled cords.

Premium Features