• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'13 Dodge HD

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Hell with that i bought a Longhorn and the interior looks way better than the 2013 in my own opinion. And i like it so much i went and bought a Mega Cab for my wife. Its chipped and walks all over my Longhorn now FML. Back to the big thing i think one main reason to stay with mine would be that dang exhaust fluid. Dumbest thing anyone could put in a diesel.

Why is it the dumbest thing?

I don't understand the problem with DEF.

It's easy, it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
tranny will hold up to about 650whp not bhp just fine unless you start doing 3rd gear clutch dumps. The clutch won't hold much more than stock.

No comparison between the 3rd and 4th gen the 4th gen's are a ton nicer. Actually nice interiors and seats. The quality feels at least 2x higher.

Yeah, spent some time in a friend's '10 model (funny, he was a no diesels for me guy until we swapped trucks for a couple weeks, I needed a p/u with an auto trans, and very next time his Nissan needed a repair he traded it in on a 6speed diesel). Which he now regrets after getting xferred to Orlando, 6speed in city traffic.
The G56 will hold the new 800 or 850ft/lbs no problem. 100k on mine at about 800-900ftlbs, no problem and alot of high miles ones as well.
I think the problem is they needed to keep the clutch pussified for some reason, dunno why, since the only people buying stick shift diesels now with the advent of good 6speed autos are probably the people that need a real clutch.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I think the manual is derated to help them sell more automatics. The automatic costs more and they make more money on it.

Also, I'm sure to get acceptable clutch life, keep the pedal effort down, and keep an easy smooth engagement, that is probably the max they can go.

My 01 Cummins with a South Bend Con OFE (Organic face on one side, feramic on the other was quite a bit grabbier then a new G56).

My buddies 04 Duramax with ceramic South Bend is flat out awful. By far the worst clutch I've driven.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Actually Automatics are as cheap as manuals now. Cheaper cost comes with high productions numbers.

I don't see why you would want a manual transmission with the technology in automatics now.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Actually Automatics are as cheap as manuals now. Cheaper cost comes with high productions numbers.

I don't see why you would want a manual transmission with the technology in automatics now.

I personally just like driving a manual. I enjoy it.

Your more connected and more in control.

Other then driving bumper to bumper traffic and having a bum left leg why would you buy an automatic:)?

Would you want a dirt bike or motorcycle with an automatic?

I think my Ecoboost would be a blast to drive with a stick. Too bad they don't offer it!

I realize I'm the minority, but some people just prefer a stick.

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
All this DEF and DPF stuff just sucks period I wish it was back to the way it used to be. Don't get me wrong I make a bunch of money deleting these for customers though.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I drive in traffic, I've gone over the passes here in Colorado in bumper to bumper traffic, stop and go, 5-10 mph for 3+ hours. A stick is absolutely horrible with that. That said I don't see any advantage with a manual over an auto. What can the manual do that I can't do with say the Allison on the GMC? It downshifts when it needs to, it holds a gear to keep speed, it rev matches better than a driver can. If I want manual mode, I can still shift each gear but I don't have to use the clutch. There is seriously no advantage to a manual anymore.

Dirt bike is not a truck or car.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
one advantage to the manual is for the people like my self who like power and turn there truck up. its about $1800 for a good dual disc clutch and most backyard mechanics can do a clutch swap in a few hours time vs. $4000+ to have an auto built especially when u gotta pay someone to do it. I've been my own mechanic all my life and can fix about anything but i still don't have the balls to tear into my alli even though ive heard its not bad. but if you keep your truck stock or close to it then i agree other than a bit better fuel mileage there's no real advantage to manual over todays autos(excluding dodge autos i still say they're crap until I've personally seen otherwise) unless your like myself and glennrmk and just prefer the fun of the manual.

Last edited:
G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
You can get between 6-10k into a built auto.

If you do billet input, output, intermediate shafts, billet flex plate, etc.

4k is for a nice rebuild and good triple disc converter. At least on a Dodge.

The Allison is more.

I like the auto sometimes, but most of the time the manual just raises the fun factor.

I would never, ever buy a sports car with an auto. That just takes the fun out of it!

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I always seem to be the odd ball. I prefer a manual transmission. I prefer the extended cab over the 4 door. I prefer 2 door cars over a 4 door, how Fraken cool would a 2 door Chrysler 300 be!!!! With a manual of course.

I love the fact that you can still buy a Cadillac V series cars with a 6 speed manual. I recently drove a CTS-V with the manual what a hoot it was to drive a 500 horsepower luxury car and still be able to row through the gears, WOW.

Now back to the 2013 Dodge ...... errrrr ....... I mean Ram pickup. I really like all the bells and whistles they have. I wonder if they will ever jump on the small turbocharged engine like Ford has. A salesman at the local Ford store told me that the F-150 in 2011 sold about 15% with the ecoboost engine and it looks like the 2012 will be right at 50%.

Premium Features