• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MDS Turbo Weights ride report.

Y

yamazoom

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I ran MDS’s weights last year in my turbo cat and really liked the way they worked from engagement to top speeds and was hoping that MDS would come through with an equally impressive application for the Polaris Pro Turbo. I spoke with Steve at MDS and he set up the weights based on my information on current weight set up, boost, riding elevation, and secondary set up. I installed the weights and spring and headed for the hills to do some testing. The first noticeable change was how much more balanced and smooth the engine felt heading up the trail. I’m not sure why as I always balance my stock weights. I ran a Polaris 100/340 primary spring that came with the MDS weights and found engagement was a little low for my liking, 3700-3800 rpm and once engaged would pull itself at 3400 rpm. The low speed response and spool time was excellent even at this low rpm and as I had hoped, from engagement to 90 mph these weights just keep pulling. I brought my temp gun with me and checked clutch and belt temperatures. The clutches were running cooler by 10-15 degrees and the belt by 10 degrees as compared to previous testing with my old setup on the same hill. I emailed MDS and Steve recommended trying a Polaris black/green primary spring 120/340 to raise engagement rpm. This was the setup I prefer with engagement at 3900-3950 and same shift characteristics as before. I am running a 2012 Pro 163 with an intercooled boondocker kit. My secondary is set up with a 42/48 helix with a black/purple secondary spring 140/260. I ride 8500-10,500’ and run 9-11 pounds of boost. I prefer a boondocking style of riding and find that with this weight no matter how slow or fast you’re moving and on/off throttle the turbo will spool immediately. I have tried three other manufacturers weights and while they might work good in one area of low,midrange, or top they did not work good in all areas. The MDS weights do. Just my .02 cents for anyone interested.

Y

yamazoom

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Great to hear they are working out for you. Steve at MDS has developed a true turbo weight that benefits the bottom end snap for boondocking to the top end pull for hill climbing, and with his money back guarantee your not out anything if you don't like them.

Premium Features